It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.......

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.......

Post by scottmac »

So I had been planning this trip for a while, weather permitting. Changed my R&R to suit, lined up a deckie from work on the same break, got everything ready and watched the forecast hoping for a drop in the Norwesters.

The forecast was looking good, but the reports from Shady weren't sounding very promising. Never mind, when the wind drops it will fire (I hope!). There hadn't been the usual talk of 'coastal creeks in the first springs of March', a bit strange, as every one knows these days. Maybe people were keeping it close to their chests to try and keep the crowds down.

Turns out everyone must have given up on the place after the quiet couple of weeks out there. It wasn't too busy at all (for Shady). Anyway, we headed down at gentle mans hours Sunday morning and launched about 1pm. No trouble launching and we were steaming down the river beer in hand and not a care in the world.

The plan was to check out Marsh, maybe head out for a Jewie or two and see what happens. Head around to Finke Bay for a day or two to check out Love and Carmor and bag out on Goldie's at a never fail Snapper spot I've got out that way.

So we had a troll at the mouth of Sampan for zip on the low, then headed into Marsh on the incoming. The action was pretty quick at Marsh with six fish between 60 and 75 landed in about an hour, but the mossies were getting bad and it wasn't even dark yet.

We made the call to head out to the Jew reef on dusk, but it got a bit lumpy on the way out, and it's a lot longer trip from Marsh than I remembered. We finally got there and had a bit of a fish, but by that stage we were over it. Made the call to head back to Sampan for the night

We were about 4kms from the mouth when things started to go pair shaped. The alarm on my motor went off and I lost power under load. There was no water coming from the tell tail, but it was too rough and dark to do anything about it, so over went the anchor and a restless nights sleep was had.

Woke up to a beautiful day,light southerly, glass out, perfect for the coastal creeks, but no engine to get us there. To say I was p!ssed off would be an understatement :banghead: I made the call to try and get back into Sampan under minnkota power as at least we would be able to pick up a tow later in the day if we couldn't get the motor going.

So off we went at 3kmh, might as well throw out a couple of lures. Took us about an hour to get back to the mouth without a hit, so we kept going a hundred metres or so into the mouth. I had my eye on a snag that was sticking a fair way out, to tie up to and check the motor, and flick lures until someone decided to give us a tow.

We were about 15 metres from said snag, when my lure got slammed and I turned around to see a horse exit the drink. Easily a metre, it jumped again and spat the lure. :evil:

The deckie had never seen a fish that big and was spinning out "get farked! Do you think it will still be there? Will there be more?"

"Nah, she'll be spooked and you don't usually get a second chance at another horse on the same day, well I don't anyway. But the batteries are holding up on the leccie and we've got nothing else to do, so let's have another go."

We started to troll the same line and about 10 metres after we passed the mark where the first one was I got slammed again. I missed the jump, but by the way the deckie was frothing at the mouth and the expletives coming from his mouth, I new we'd hook ked another big girl.

It was a awesome fight, though a bit farcical at times, trying to drive the boat with the leccie while fighting the fish, losing the remote, finding it, losing it again etc. she went harder than most I've caught, peeling heaps of line, not jumping, staying low and being stubborn, but after about 12 minutes she was along side and she was a beautiful fat chrome girl. I called 110+ for sure! but she came in at 108. But a fat 108 that's for sure! :bow: 8)

Kept trolling for a few more hits and a couple hooked and lost that would have been eighties, then the battery was done, so checked out the engine. Long story short, ended up being the engine oil pump seal. Lost heaps of engine oil, so no oil pressure. Lucky I had a litre in the boat, which was enough to get us back to the ramp under our own steam.

Thanks to the big girl and the Barra Gods for making a sh!t trip a memorable one :bow: and thanks to all the other boats that stopped to see if we were ok and offered us a tow. :clap: sorry if this report is a bit long winded, but I thought it was worth telling. DONT GIVE UP!!!!

Post Script: the Mrs was p!ssed that I let those fish go and came home without a feed, so I just had to ring a mate with a boat and go back to redeem myself! :naughty: went back yesterday and fished Marsh for about twenty fish between 60 and 78. Saw a couple of fish close to a metre dropped. It wasn't going off, but not bad. The guides are all fishing Love and doing well. I reckon a heap of big girls will be trolled up in 'that' comp this weekend. Good luck all!

PPS: apologies for the bad pic, taken on my phone, I will post a better one when I get the pics off the deckie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.....

Post by itsinmeblood »

good read mate, cracker fish lucky you didn't cook your motor so alls well that ends well :mrgreen:
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

Great fish mate! well done.
bigphil16
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bigphil16 »

Great read Scott, sounds like you really earned that fish.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Kick arse story bud. frig I wish I wasnt at work
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

great stuff mate , ya kept having crack and paid of. pity dockers did not have that much fight :)
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Great story and fish 8)
Geez there are a lot of boats breaking down recently. Hope its not a sign of things to come
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

ponyplay wrote:great stuff mate , ya kept having crack and paid of. pity dockers did not have that much fight :)
Haha! Bit harsh coming from a Saints fan. Wooden spoon anyone?
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

scottmac wrote:
ponyplay wrote:great stuff mate , ya kept having crack and paid of. pity dockers did not have that much fight :)
well be right number one pick 2014 2015 , take fyfe as free agent next year offer him the captaincy . By that time ross lyin will of recruited that many old hacks your list wont be much better. Naa im not bitter :wink:
coastaljoy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by coastaljoy »

Well done Scotty, great write up and good to see you got into some fish, even belted one over a metre, rewards for your efforts with engine troubles. Hope you get it fixed and get back out there.
he fishes he fishes he fishes its the only thing in life all he ever gets is hell from his fed up wife
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

That's a very nice ,very healthy fish
Well done scottmac
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Cracker fish mate, well done!

Hate that sinking feeling when you have boat troubles but sounds like cool heads prevailed....

Good on ya!
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

ponyplay wrote:
scottmac wrote:
well be right number one pick 2014 2015 , take fyfe as free agent next year offer him the captaincy . By that time ross lyin will of recruited that many old hacks your list wont be much better. Naa im not bitter :wink:
You, Ross Lyons, dark alley........ :rofl: and your not getting Fyfe , :fu:
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Cracker fish mate! congrats
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

What an awesome fish! I'd rather be broken down in a boat fishing at a popular fishing spot than broken down on a highway on the way fishing! Thanks for the report. Nice work! :applause:
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...