Returning a gun

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
Russ_11
Silver Member
Silver Member

Returning a gun

Post by Russ_11 »

Has anyone had experience taking a firearm back for a refund.
This might take a while but ill share my bad experience.
I purchased a new rimfire from one of the shops here in darwin (the second gun id got from them not to mention ammo and knives etc)
my missus young cousin and some sons of a family friend all wanted to have a bit of a shoot and see what it was all about.

I had originally wanted to buy a older second hand anschutz. Hoping to get something a bit older but a trusty old gun with a good reputation. The one at the shop had no magazine. Give us your number and ill call you tomorrow with a price i was just about to make some calls and find out myself.
After getting the run around with calls promised the next day never happening and stopping in several times to check up.
Finally I caved and purchased a cheap marlin off the shelf. Then got a scope and bipod and sling and bag and all the other stuff that goes with it.
Off to the range to sight in. That goes fine put a box of ammo thru it but I wasn't happy with the cheapo fixed 4x scope.
After getting a second hand 3x9 off a bloke on here finally the time had come for the family and friends to head down to the station for a bit of a shoot and maybe a hunt.
Long story short after having 4 or 5 shots to sight the new scope in I went for one last tweak and "click" nothing happened.
After trying a few more rounds and different brands of ammo still nothing. The firing pin was hitting the round but not hard enough.
So now the young fellas are spewing as they didn't even get to have a shot.
I had my shotgun and a few clays so got them to all have a shot and the older boys ( 13) and their dads were loving it and doing very well but the youngest lad (11)had a go but it was a but much for him.
Anyway back to darwin back to the shop.
I explained the problem and was told the rifle will have to go back go America to be fixed and it could take 10 weeks.
I said if that's the case I don't want it back as it was brand new and was a dud.
The gunsmith was coming in tomorrow I'd be getting a call.
Never got a call so after a week or two I stopped in to see what the deal was.
Give us your number we'll call you tomorrow....
No call.
I had to go away for work or a couple of weeks so when I got back I went in.
No one could even tell me where my gun was or when I would be getting it back. Give us your number we'll call you tomorrow.
I kicked up a bit here and said I'm not giving you my number again I've given it to you enough times. I want some one to call me back tomorrow and let me know what's going on.
Finally a call
Back. Your guns will be another two weeks.
Ok fine
Three weeks later I went in and it had been repaired it was a head space issue. The smith had tried two different firing pins and that hasn't worked so he added some shims and now it works fine.
I've had the gun back a couple if months now and hadn't had a chance to shoot it.
I went out today with my mate to have a go and see if it was shooting fine. 10 shots in and "click"
I'm not happy and I'm not interested in having it fixed again. I know I shouldn't have bought a sh..ty marlin but I think Im entitled to get a refund. The product was faulty from the start.
What do you all think??

COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Returning a gun

Post by COOPS »

its a dud you should be able to get your money back.

its just typical Darwin service
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

That is just cr.p. If the gun was bought new it should have a warrantee of some sort. Give consumer affairs a ring and they will fill you in on your rights to a refund / exchange. Best of luck. Once Bitten.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Money back as it doesn't do what it is supposed to do
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

You buy one Marlin gun and it has a problem so all Marlin guns are sh..ty
Your laughable if nothing else
The shop should replace it and if their service is that bad put their name up here ,don't be shy
I wouldn't want to go to them and have that kind of service
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Yeah, give us a hint! I have been thinking of buying a firearm and I don't want to give my business to someone who doesn't deserve it!
No matter where you go, there you are!
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Its a common consumer affairs issue. If the product doesn't work you have the right to an immediate refund. that is unless they can repair/replace within a reasonable time frame. ie a few days. They have had that chance.

Politely inform the gun shop that unless you receive an imediate refund you will involve the govt authority
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Like the others have said, take it back and speak to the owner and politely demand a refund or replacement. Don’t let them push it back to you. if its who i think it is, they will do the right thing by you.
Dont get agro or let things turn to poop

Spend a few minutes to document the dealings you’ve had with them, dates, who said what etc etc. sounds like a pain in the arse but worth it in the long run
Then contact consumer affairs and they will give you the right wording to use when you go to the dealer.
Usually it’s something like “The product is not suitable for its intended purpose”
Don’t cop poop service. Darwin is famous for it. :evil:
Good luck with your new gun
docjust
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by docjust »

I would like to know the name of the shop as I am currently shopping around for a new rifle and don't want to deal with suppliers that won't help out when the chips are down. You pay good money and want good service in exchange.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

I took a new 12G back years ago after on the first trip it failed to fire.... Then later let off both barrels at once.... They were not too happy but they did refund the $$$ and a got a better gun.. No issues since
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

easy fix. Ring the ombudsman. He'll call the shop and I bet they call you the same day. Worked for me. Also works when telstra are being difficult. Amazing what a bit of a push can don.
Russ_11
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Russ_11 »

Well I've been away for work for the last 5 or 6 weeks.
I took the gun back in today and explained I'm not interested in having it repaired again.
I was sold a faulty product and expect a refund.
After getting the run around I spoke to the owner over the phone. Who tryed to pass the blame back onto me. I shouldn't assume every gun you buy off the shelf works... Good one.
I explained ill be speaking to the ombudsman and to expect a call.
He seemed pretty happy to hear that a feels he is in the right.
coastaljoy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by coastaljoy »

You could also try consumer protection they could give you the heads up as to the shops legal obligation
he fishes he fishes he fishes its the only thing in life all he ever gets is hell from his fed up wife
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Out of curiosity, what calibre was it? I have a synthetic stock marlin .22 and she's a beaut lil gun, literally throw her in mud and she still fires (stainless barrel, trigger etc) just wondering if I should expect dramas or maybe yours was a once off dud.
Anyways mate hope all works out well for you, a rifle bought of the shelf should work perfectly for years with correct treatment. Hope you get your cash back
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
barra bro
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barra bro »

Name & Shame! they don't deserve service if they are not welling to support you with your purchase.