Popping for BIG sharks

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Tinny boys
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Popping for BIG sharks

Post by Tinny boys »

Jed Dupe and Jack Benson headed for the Vernon Islands last weekend in hope of getting some Giant Trevally on big surface poppers.

"Checked all our usual haunts but didn't see a single one. We know another reef that is loaded with Sharks so we went there for a look," Jed told the Tinny.

Most fishos wouldn't even be paid to catch a shark but like all good young men, Jack and Jed weren't going home without some sort of a thrill.

"Ended up with around 10-15 Sharks around the boat and one of us would slap a lure on the water to keep them there while the other cast their popper," He said.

Species such as Shark and Mackerel are notorious for biting off your tackle. Particularly if you're only using nylon leader as these boys were.

"We ended up landing three and only lost one popper to them. All were successfully released so it was a good day," Jed told the Tinny.

You're probably wondering how on earth they managed to handle such big Sharks. Truth be known, Jack has a black belt in martial arts and Jed is a weight lifter so they made pretty short work of these incredible creatures. Just kidding, Jed explained the tricky situation.

"The hooked up angler held the Shark boat side while the other bloke lassoed the tail with rope and together we hauled them in. We bowled them over pretty quick on our big gear which made them docile by the time they got to the boat," He said.

Check out the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwTcK0E1 ... 4MvC_qzr9w

If it's hard targeting what you want, are you willing to chase alternate species to get your fix?

The Tales from the Tinny boys

5-7am Saturdays mornings on 105.7 ABC Darwin

website: http://abc.net.au/darwin/tinny/ - facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ABC-Tales ... 6008517688

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ABCTalesfro ... ature=mhee
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Popping for BIG sharks

Post by DOUG »

Sounds like they turned a poop situation into a really really poop situation :):)
Couldn't think of anything worse than try to catch a shark :)
Toxic
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Toxic »

That's New. Red Emperor or Goldies are a much better bait though...
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

EXCITEMENT !!! :D
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

.308 gets them off a lot quicker. Don't need to worry about them biting you then. :twisted: A few recomendations though if using the .308 method.

1. Don't try to shoot the shark while it is still too deep down.... this will increase the fight by a further 20 minutes.
2. Have ear muffs on.... deafness and an ear ringing is guaranteed.
3. Wear a rain coat... Shitt does splatter apparently and you will get wet.

Oh, and don't use the shot gun as you will lose a lot of lures. No matter how hard you try to miss your line it seems to always hit it! oh and buck shot will ruin the flesh for you Victorians! :twisted:
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

cuddlescooper wrote:.308 gets them off a lot quicker. Don't need to worry about them biting you then. :twisted: A few recomendations though if using the .308 method.

1. Don't try to shoot the shark while it is still too deep down.... this will increase the fight by a further 20 minutes.
2. Have ear muffs on.... deafness and an ear ringing is guaranteed.
3. Wear a rain coat... Shitt does splatter apparently and you will get wet.

Oh, and don't use the shot gun as you will lose a lot of lures. No matter how hard you try to miss your line it seems to always hit it! oh and buck shot will ruin the flesh for you Victorians! :twisted:
Cuddles forgot to mention, its probably a good idea to shoot the beast before bringing it aboard. :lol:
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Good Point drifter. That coouuulllllddd end badly!
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Gold!!!
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

You can imagine the insurance claim;

Insurance Comp: Can you explain the circumstances of the vessel sinking
Fisherman: Well Sir, it was because of a shark.

Insurance Comp: Gee that’s just like jaws. What, it attacked the boat?
Fisherman: Well not quite. I was trying to get my lure back, when it went batshit crazy.

Insurance Comp: Wow, so it chewed holes in the floor
Fisherman: Well kinda – sorta - no. I read on FFF that in this circumstance I should shoot the shark with my trusty .308.

Insurance Comp: 11times?
Fisherman: It kept moving. That’s why the bl..dy vessel sunk so quickly

Insurance Comp: Might have been wiser to shoot it before bringing aboard.
Fisherman: Neva thought of that

Insurance Comp: And the claim for the Rod & Reel?
Fisherman: Well you see, when the boat sunk, the shark swam out – still attached to my Rod & Reel.

Oh, by the way, is too late to add the lure?
Toxic
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Toxic »

Sounds like a legitimate claim to me :idea:
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Only in the NT and on Tails of the Tinny
Myst
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Myst »

Awesome video guys, thanks for sharing
I'm having Deja Moo... the feeling that I've been through this bullsh*t before....
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nagz »

Bit of fancy rod work going on there, great stuff. Lucky no expensive japanese popping rods were broken

Great video
When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:
A) n+1 (where n is the number if rods you currently have); or

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)