want to chase some goldies and maybe some mackies but WHERE?

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
mickxx
Silver Member
Silver Member

want to chase some goldies and maybe some mackies but WHERE?

Post by mickxx »

Hi all,

So posted while back about what sort of boat to get, now i have the boat i have some spot questions,

Was planning on taking the boat out this Saturday afternoon with a couple mates putting in as early as possible pending tide (probs 3pm-ish) primarily chasing a bit of a feed but am keen to chase some goldies and mackies and if we are lucky a jew

Boats 5.2m with 100L fuel capacity with all the gear so distance isn't a HUGE problem but the aim is to be in the water well before dark and be home before midnight.

I was thinking as its one of the first reef chasing expeditions up here that the focus would be 6mile reefs but I'm down to go out further, I'm no expert especially in the NT but iv been in my share of boats and ive tested the old girl she runs fine.

anyone got any suggestions/parting marks for anywhere recently that's worth a dig? I'm not shy to go out to the pinnacles or to Vernon's but as its the first serious reef attempt and i have no marks i don't know if a night fish out there is the best idea.

Also if any1 else is taking a boat out somewhere and want a second boat as a tag along around these times let me know

uniball
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: want to chase some goldies and maybe some mackies but WH

Post by uniball »

G'day mick,
Are you launching in the harbour or are you willing to go on the dirt?
If you are, my suggestion for Goldie's this time of year would be to launch at saltwater arm/leeders creek ramp and head around to Cape hotham or ruby island. It's about a 120km round trip from SWA to Ruby. There is a Jew hole around at ruby that can fire at times. Only considerations would be - have you done a fuel calculation in your boat with the amount of weight you'll be carting (people, beer, ice, all fishing gear, etc...) and the likely situation that there will be storms in the area. It's a great area for big Goldie's this time of year but you need to make sure you can do it safely. If there is winds around Hotham going in the opposite direction to the tide, it can turn pretty nasty really quick. That'd be my option this weekend
mickxx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mickxx »

Cant really go the dirt, im currently using the better half's falcon to tow the boat, although what she doesn't know wont hurt her, without going up gunn point road myself i heard its pretty rough, i have been meaning to go for a drive without a trailer to see how bad the road really is.
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Yeah I definitely wouldn't take a falcon up gunn point rd.
sarrge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sarrge »

I've taken a Falcon up Gunn Pt road a few times towing the boat - the last trip cost me two tyres and now I use a 4WD :)
I used to have a handle on life.......then it broke.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Why not try around fish reef and the reefs around the mouth of bynoe , easy trip and you can hide up in bynoe if it blows up.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I wouldn't be doin afternoon trips at the moment to far and wide. Storms are getting nasty and building every afternoon. We are due for a big Knockem down storm. Waste of time at Pinnacles and vernons at night any way. Macs don't really chew that well at night unless you got huge flood lights.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

yeah good call pete.. pretty knarly storm tracking up this way as we speak, wouldn't wanna be anywhere near some place like the vernons with a squall coming through - especially at night, sh!t can go pretty pear shaped pretty quickly.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Some glassy conditions in the morning lately would be doing put in at 3-4 back at 9-10 more than arvo night trips.
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
mickxx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mickxx »

Yea, after last night i think i might go early in the morning Sunday until late morning, now whether to go via buffalo creek to vernons or via dina beach to lorna/fenton. Not going to lie the NT is very spoilt with the reefs.
Hally10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hally10 »

I was thinking along the same lines for Sunday mick. Was going to try blue holes early launch at buff. Still just a plan at this stage. Standy has the right idea
mickxx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mickxx »

Do you think with the 3m 4.45am low a 5.2m can get outa buff creek fine?

My plan is to chase some livies withthe kiddies this afternoon and saturday afternoon maybe even throw the boat in lizzie with the kids just for fun.

Then Sunday either:

a) boat in at nightcliff at 0330 straight to blue holes until i can see a bit then to knight reef or Oliver reef pending current/wind and heading home before lunch

b) Launch Buff maybe 0530 straight to knight reef checking between the islands on the way.

i was tempted to bring a couple of pots with me but iv never been to vernons am i wasting my time with the pots? figured id just throw em somewhere between the islands since itl be low coming up on a neap, and check em a couple times while looking for around.

If any1 else is going to the area ill be the one in the alloy 5.2 with the blue motor cover and 1 skinny bald guy and 2 fat guys.

I dont like my chances but my 2 mates from the Gold Coast just sent me this from yesterday which is making me really want to show them up soon from up here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hally10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hally10 »

Might see you out there mick. Black 455 Formosa
mickxx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mickxx »

Went out Sunday morning, had some issues so ended up using mates 4wd out of leeders creek about 0600, messed around trying to find some pounts between the 2 main islands and knight reef, got a few decent cod, a 70cm diamond? trevally on 6lb line soft plastic, saw a massive sschool of what looked like queenfish around a weed bank on knight reef, threw everything i had at them for nothing, starting to think they mighta been something else, (could see their dorsal/tail fins outa the water). We drifted over a ledge just north east of knight reef, friend got busted up on 40lb line didnt see what it was but was definitely not a shark, he was half asleep when it nearly pulled him in haha.

wish i brought my camera with me it was a beautiful day

Overall a fun trip but i think i need to do my homework to find some better drop offs.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

mickxx wrote:, saw a massive sschool of what looked like queenfish around a weed bank on knight reef, threw everything i had at them for nothing, starting to think they mighta been something else, (could see their dorsal/tail fins outa the water).
If they were moving slowly in an orderly fashion sucking at the surface they were probably milk fish.