Battery help...

I Wish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Battery help...

Post by I Wish »

I agree on the Ctek charger. Every other week I put on on one of the cars to keep the battery topped up.

balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

jeffish wrote:Tran there is only so much the winch will do . When you get that stuck its best to just tie off the rope and try to pull it the old fashioned way, wide circles ,reverse direction , etc.
I think your mate would have killed any condition battery putting a 15 min load on them. Did he try to pull start his motor?

good info there ronje :mrgreen: thanks
I totallyagree Jeff, think he was trying a combination of things to get unstuck.

I don't think it possible to pull start 200 hp...unless your arnie maybe?
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

Ditchfire,

you have only 4 posts to yr account

i think you must post at least 5 ? before you can send PM'S
Cheers

Sy
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Sy

What on earth are you talking about?
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Balou

From the winch manufacturer's website, running that winch will cost you anything from 40 amps to 130amps depending on the load. That's a lot of amps in anybody's language.

When u're drawing amps like that it doesn't really matter how well charged your battery is, its going to drop its bundle quickly. No wonder the battery is flat in the morning. If you can't recharge it during the day, it'll flat tomorrow morning as well.

Drawing that type of winch current, you need to supply current from somewhere else whenever you use the winch. Your alternator is capable of supplying 44 amps so you'll need to fire the motor up to use the winch. Alternators are notoriously inefficient when it comes to fully charging batteries. You'd want to be doing some serious running around during the day.

Selection of a 12 volt winch drawing that much current was the first not so good decision. You would have been better off getting a 24v winch (only uses 1/2 the current) and using 2 batteries in series to make up 24 volts. Then u'd have to use a dc-dc in-boat charger to provide 24 volts charging for those 2 batteries.

That winch load is greater than a 80lb thrust electric and they need 24 volts.

Think that the only positive thing you can do is re-think your winch strategy if you want to retain your existing battery system.
Regards
Ronje
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

Ronje,

You did question how effective ctek's were in a previous post.

In any case it's gotta be time for some more sledging eh? :rofl: :rofl:
Cheers

Sy
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

To quote Winston Churchill: "Sir, I am astounded by my moderation".

Sy

This may come as a complete surprise to you but I have no intention of seeking approval or permission from you or anybody else to express my view on any subject on this forum.

You might be able to expand a little on how "questioning the effectiveness of a product" (your words) suddenly turns into bagging.

You've also got to realise that the only person doing any sledging on here is you.

I'd suggest that you reflect a little on the provocative nature of your comment. Surely you realise that people are bit tired of that sort of silliness. I know that Matt is as I am.
Regards
Ronje
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

ronje wrote:Balou

From the winch manufacturer's website, running that winch will cost you anything from 40 amps to 130amps depending on the load. That's a lot of amps in anybody's language.

When u're drawing amps like that it doesn't really matter how well charged your battery is, its going to drop its bundle quickly. No wonder the battery is flat in the morning. If you can't recharge it during the day, it'll flat tomorrow morning as well.

Drawing that type of winch current, you need to supply current from somewhere else whenever you use the winch. Your alternator is capable of supplying 44 amps so you'll need to fire the motor up to use the winch. Alternators are notoriously inefficient when it comes to fully charging batteries. You'd want to be doing some serious running around during the day.

Selection of a 12 volt winch drawing that much current was the first not so good decision. You would have been better off getting a 24v winch (only uses 1/2 the current) and using 2 batteries in series to make up 24 volts. Then u'd have to use a dc-dc in-boat charger to provide 24 volts charging for those 2 batteries.

That winch load is greater than a 80lb thrust electric and they need 24 volts.

Think that the only positive thing you can do is re-think your winch strategy if you want to retain your existing battery system.
I read your battery doc this morning and it was very informative....

During the day I use my winch alway with the motor running. At night if just a matter of releasing of rope with the winch without running the motor. I think the main culprit for draining the battery is the engel and fan. Might start thinking about turning the engel off at night to conserve some battery power.

Thanks again for your valued input.
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

Ronje,

Touched a nerve I see.....

Please ignore any future attempt by me to be provocative humorous etc.....

I'll leave that to my personal life hehe

Still enjoy yr posts though
Cheers

Sy
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Apologies for the interruption Balou.

The engel and fan would probably eat up 4 amps while they're both on.

The basic problem seems to be that your setup consumes more than what can be provided. If you can't provide more energy then you have to conserve what you've got. It looks like you've already worked that out anyway.

Be interesting to see the results. That winch is a worry though.

Balou
You started this thread and some others seem to like the little article I put together.

Do you mind if I put some more stuff on here?
Regards
Ronje
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

No problems Ronje , your contributions are very informative.
dan444
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dan444 »

Is the fan you're using 12V or off an inverter?
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Nah just a normal cig socket. The fan about 12 inches and moves some serious air though
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

You can get a 450mm one that also pumps heaps of air and runs allnight no probs. got it from we sell fun and camping
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Nomad....just need a 12v aircon now and I'll be happy.