Fun at the Blue Holes again

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Fun at the Blue Holes again

Post by Agent86 »

Well got everything organised for a fairly early start on Saturday with Graham.

Up early, packed the boat and the esky and managed to get away on time, down to Nightcliff Ramp around 7.15am and the water looked great, had a chat to the Tinnie boys on air and descriped the flat looking water looking towards Fenton.

Managed to get KAOS off the trailer fairly easy, was just enough water to back her off, Graham parked the car, then I realised I still had the keys, damn new electronic thingys, done it a coupla times now so I had to throw them to olfart so he could walk back up and lock the car!!

Headed out around past the jetty and said hello to yakfish as he was paddling along, then opened her up and cruised out to Gunn Point around 40kph, beautiful weather on the way across, saw a coupla other boats heading that way as well, but they either went out towards Smith Reef or into the channel between Gunn Point and the Soth West Vernon.
2013-09-14 003.JPG
We came into the western end of the Blue hole and had a bit of a flick, had a coupla hits, then Graham hooked something good, unfortunately he couldn't stop it, luckily he ended up getting all his line back, the leader had been cut on the coral, probably a good sized Trevally of some sort. We then cruised along the edges looking for swirls and fish feeding, it was beautifully calm, saw turtles and sharks, heaps of small fish, the water was pretty clear! The main reef was about a foot out of the water and as the tide slowly came in on the neaps there were ripples and fish of all descriptions mulling around.
2013-09-14 005 1.jpg
2013-09-14 007 1.jpg
2013-09-14 010.JPG
it was great cruising along, with the edge of the reef under us, one side of the boat you could see the coral and small reefies in about 6ft of water, the other side was a nice blue looking straight down the edge into 40ft! Saw a nice school of Sweetlip mulling around in the shallows, hoovering the bottom and got right up close to them. Got a reasonable pic by holding the polaroids over the camera lense to cut out a bit of the glare, need to invest in a good camera with a polaroid lens.
2013-09-14 013 1.jpg
We just cruised around for a bit having a gander, saw some great fish cruising, including a couple of good sized Bluebone picking bits off the reef, dammit I had forgotten to put the leccy in the boat, even after charging the battery well, would have made stealth mode a little better :bonk: Decided then to go and drop the pots in a few of the well visited creeks along the edge of the inner Blue Hole, have had a few good feeds of crabs from there before. All sorts of fish in the creeks as well, Barra, Jacks, have even had jewfish in there, havn't landed one of them yet though, they usually win the tussle :|
2013-09-14 015 1.jpg
We spent about another hour just cruising around looking for something exciting, waiting for the water to come up a bit so I could try some other spots. Once again, plenty of life, there were quite a few big Milkfish cruising around in there as well, have seen them there quite a bit, might have to hunt them one day and see if we can get a couple for fun! There were another couple of boats in the hole, one anchored, and one came up to go into the smaller end hole, but wasn't enough water over the reef, I doubt you would have been able to go in there for long anyway with the tides, unless you wanted to stay there for 10 hours :lol:
2013-09-14 022 1.jpg
Went and pulled the pots and managed one nice buck on the first lap, put em back with a bit of fresh bait and went exploring again. I motored in towards a spot where I have caught some good barra and jacks before, and as we came up into the shallows we saw a couple of nice Blue Salmon swim past, fired a cast out in front and the leader inhaled the SP, gave a good tussle and in the icebox for dinner, mmm nice when they are fresh.
2013-09-14 025.JPG
damn, had a paper and the mat, forgot salmon were included this round, oh well
2013-09-14 026 1.jpg
We could hear some fish feeding in the little cut through creeks, saw some good Barra and a couple of good sized Jacks cruising, but unfortunately didn't get any, one of the bigger jacks checked out my SP pretty closely, but couldn't be tempted to inhale it, there were some good sized sharks cruising around there as well, and the amount of mullet was amazing as always, unfortunately we missed the bite and the fish didn't cooperate there.

I took off and we cruised across the reef towards the sand bars, had some fun with some Queenies and trevally on high tide, the water was up just to the right height to not quite cover the Sand Bars completely and there were all sorts of fish cruising the flats and swilmming past, even jumped out and went for a walk, it was nice, had a bit of interest but no savage action as I have had there before.
2013-09-14 035 1.jpg
We went across the reef to one of the higher sand bars, I saw a nice green shape cruising and fired a cast out near it, one crank of the handle and the lure was slammed, a bit of line was peeled out and had a bit of fun pulling a nice queenie back in, nothing better then being able to see them before you catch them I reckon, he gave me a good tussle, got a coupla pics and let him go on his merry way. Beautiful in the nice shallow water.
2013-09-14 039 1.jpg
2013-09-14 039 2.jpg
2013-09-14 039 3.jpg
2013-09-14 041 1.jpg
a bit more fun was had catching a few of these, Graham hooked a good one again that peeled some line, gave it a bit of stick, but unfortunately, even after contemplating it the night before, he hadn't changed the standard thin treble in the Baitfish and the hook bent and the fish swam happily off, wondering WTF had just happened :rofl:

Off we went back across the reef before it dropped too low, into the inner Blue Hole to collect the pots, managed a bit better result this time, pulled up one of the pots and it had 3 nice sized bucks in it, mmmm chilli crab.
2013-09-14 042 1.jpg
2013-09-14 044 1.jpg
2013-09-14 047 1.jpg
We had a bit more of a fish after that, but the water was starting to drop, pulled all the pots and headed off, had a bit more of a flick around a few spots and got another couple of small Queenies and trevs, but nothing really exciting.
Headed for Nightcliff about 3pm and were there just after 3.30 to pull the boat out, there was another boat heading back into Buffalo, I reckon they might have had fun retrieving their boat in there if they made it back up to the ramp.
Had to winch the boat on at nightcliff as there wasn't much water, couple of other boats after us as well and it was getting lower.

The old ramp there needs to be cleaned out a bit, maybe one day it will happen!

All in all a great day, a good feed, good company and just cruising and watching the fish life was great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fun at the Blue Holes again

Post by Fish Tank »

Great post. We were there on Saturday afternoon for the out going tide. Magic weather. There were schools of 20-30 barra swimming through the shallows. We got 3 in the 60ies biggest 65cm but had to be Johnny on the spot.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Good stuff ,,ya barstards ,Hey Dennis if your gonna steal my deckie at least teach him how to use a camera :P

Top report Mate :mrgreen:
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Nice report mate ..
Can't wait for the build up glass off way off shore like that pic of yours looks like a mirror :)
bigphil16
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bigphil16 »

Amazing post and fantastic pictures, nice work
Gregsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Gregsy »

Your like a fish/weather magnet!, everywhere you go you get a feed and have a great time and great photos!.
All I manage is donuts and wind!
Awesome stuff!!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

onya boys 8) 8) 8)
Dennis, you just have to buy a circular polarising filter to get the effect.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Thanks for all the replies guys, just thought it was about time I wrote up a story about something, Havnt managed to do a long trip for a while now, cheers
Fish Tank wrote:Great post. We were there on Saturday afternoon for the out going tide. Magic weather. There were schools of 20-30 barra swimming through the shallows. We got 3 in the 60ies biggest 65cm but had to be Johnny on the spot.
Yep we saw a few Fish Tank, but didn't really hang around till the lower water when I usually get them there, good to see em moving round though, great to hear you got a few.
jeffish wrote:Good stuff ,,ya barstards ,Hey Dennis if your gonna steal my deckie at least teach him how to use a camera :P

Top report Mate :mrgreen:
Don't worry jeff, I cut the pics pretty good to make em look bad, he is getting better.
DOUG wrote:Nice report mate ..
Can't wait for the build up glass off way off shore like that pic of yours looks like a mirror :)
Me too Doug, hopefully will be able to get out and have a go in a month or so, depends how the missus is.
Gregsy wrote:Your like a fish/weather magnet!, everywhere you go you get a feed and have a great time and great photos!.
All I manage is donuts and wind!
Awesome stuff!!
Thanks Gregsy, can't really do too wrong out there, always have fun :-)
nomad wrote:onya boys 8) 8) 8)
Dennis, you just have to buy a circular polarising filter to get the effect.
Yep I know, unfortunately can't get one for the do everything camera I use, have still managed to get some pretty amazing pics with it though, even if I have to hold the sunnies in front of it, see the latest NT mag, that's how they were done :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

great report, and a great area to fish :mrgreen:
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Great report mate. Well done
yakfish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yakfish »

Awesome report mate, sounds like a perfect day! I wish I could take my yak places like that but that's just asking for trouble. Good meeting you fellas I'll seeya round.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Nice one Dennis. Really is a nice area
Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Finatic2 »

Great report, you are the Blue Holes Master... :bow:
Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
balawisway
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by balawisway »

Grest report and pictures, Good feed of fish and crabs 8)
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Well done 86.
Great report and pics.
thanks for sharing