same spot, different species.

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

same spot, different species.

Post by Plate Size »

8:30 pm last Saturday night, I thought I will check the spot off Stokes wharf that I used to fish before those restaurants came popping up. I did not expect anything really, just to test the narrow area. oh well, I was rewarded with a mixed nighttime species that I can enjoy. that next morning , sunday, high tide 8:30 am , I checked it again, and got a totally different batch of stalkers, plate sizes. :D
pics taken on ipod 4. a bit blurry.
but it shows, theres is always fish to catch, appreciate and thanks for the nutrients they provide us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: same spot, different species.

Post by DOUG »

Hahaha your keen mate !
Can't say I've seen anyone rate eel tails :)
matt1311
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by matt1311 »

eel tail cattys pewtch
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

cut the spikes ,gut them. rub them with salt to get the slimey bit off the skin, and barbecue them, basting with spiced olive oil. the best tasty part is that strip below the dorsal fins. mind you its not the same as the fork/silver/gray Powertail you may catch during rough/ brownish sea water after the rain. it is an " eel tailed Powertail" just be carefull handling them fresh, cause their spikes can give you aches and fever if you got stung. :D
or you can cook them in chunks with coconut cream laced with hot chillies.
there are secrets in fish tucka world . :D
that is if you can catch them, though haha. :D
There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

DOUG wrote:Hahaha your keen mate !
well , not once but many times, while unhooking a fat blowfish, I was asked by passerbys, " can you eat that?, it looks meaty". a question no one should ask if they got a clue about fishes. :lolpoint:
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

DOUG wrote:Hahaha your keen mate !
Most of what you get in Takeaways is Basa AKA Mekong eeltail Powertail.

In WA, 'Cobbler' AKA eeltail Powertail, is worth more than red snapper.

I wouldn't touch Basa,especially since I became aware of how it's 'farmed'.

Cobbler, on the other hand, is very good on the chew.

Not sure if I'd give 'Fugu' aka Puffer, blowfish, toadfish, a crack, but, you'll pay huge dollars for the 'privilege' in Japanese restuarants.

Agree with you 'Plate Size' on the forktail Powertail, verry tasty in curries as well.

Pretty obvious you get a 'feed' more often than not. :mrgreen:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Yer im sure everyone has eaten basa unknowingly. Mmmm poofarming.

Sent from my GT-S6310T using Tapatalk 4
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

basa fillets don't taste like a fish. cant even use them strips for bait. no oil in them at all. yah, they are feed algae grown off@#sh@t it plus some artifcial frtz or if \the feed runs out before harvest, they feed them with chook pellets. stay away from imported basa fillets :)
you could soak a cardboard in sea water, and it will be better than basa fillets :))
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I tried Vietnamese Powertail when I visited my sister who lives in LA. It's one of the best tasting fish I ever tried. My wife who hate every fish in ocean because it taste fishy (excepts goldies) likes it as well. These basa are farmed in the USA so they haven't been marinated in poo.

In little Saigon they have them big tanks. You pick one out , they kill and clean and swallow fried for you while you wait. It taste amazing.

I would not eat basa which has been imported from Asia for obvious reasons.
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

theres hundreds of Powertail species,.but sea water eel tailed are the best. fresh water eel tailed are good too, depending on how they are feed. Asian wild rice paddy ones have been obliterated by Taiwanese breed that can withstand fertilizers .
still,wherever you maybe..stay away from frozen fillets.
btw,,,don't linger this topic on American catfishes,,they are another breed.