Fishing pressure in Fog Bay

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fishing pressure in Fog Bay

Post by DOUG »

Yeah I'd like to see the study on it and what they do to keep them alive after suffering such injuries cod and trout nearly always blow there air bladder out of there mouth! Surely that would have to do fatal damage ?
I seen A doco on the trout over there they were catching them on shallow reefs and keeping them in massive tanks on a boat and sending them off live
They weren't coming up in bad condition

springs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by springs »

The lodge are going to soon operate a charter boat
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Ill release small reds, and believe a size of 45cm would be a good idea on them as i've seen videos of them in traps surviving being pulled out of some serious deep water. They were put into a brine tank full of plain sea water (not chilled) and kept for a few days alive no worries at all. No way will I throw a small trout back in any thing over 15m of water with its stomach blown. From what I have seen I doubt they would survive. All other reef fish you might as well neck it and fill your box. Pointless throwing any thing back IMHO.

I started using gulps for this reason as it eliminates catching smaller trickies and stripies to a large degree. I probably don't catch as many fish but I definatly get the quality with out killing thousnads of smaller species along the way.
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

cuddlescooper wrote:Ill release small reds, and believe a size of 45cm would be a good idea on them as i've seen videos of them in traps surviving being pulled out of some serious deep water. They were put into a brine tank full of plain sea water (not chilled) and kept for a few days alive no worries at all. No way will I throw a small trout back in any thing over 15m of water with its stomach blown. From what I have seen I doubt they would survive. All other reef fish you might as well neck it and fill your box. Pointless throwing any thing back IMHO.

I started using gulps for this reason as it eliminates catching smaller trickies and stripies to a large degree. I probably don't catch as many fish but I definatly get the quality with out killing thousnads of smaller species along the way.
I agree but I'd up the red size limit to 51-55cm, somewhere in that range due to breeding.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

cuddlescooper wrote:Ill release small reds, and believe a size of 45cm would be a good idea on them as i've seen videos of them in traps surviving being pulled out of some serious deep water. They were put into a brine tank full of plain sea water (not chilled) and kept for a few days alive no worries at all. No way will I throw a small trout back in any thing over 15m of water with its stomach blown. From what I have seen I doubt they would survive. All other reef fish you might as well neck it and fill your box. Pointless throwing any thing back IMHO.

Yep Gulps are the go for sorting through the smaller fish.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

stormboy wrote:

I agree but I'd up the red size limit to 51-55cm, somewhere in that range due to breeding.
Not convinced you would get enough any where near Darwin in that size range for it to be effective and give people a chance at still taking one or two home. I think for people to accept the law initially it would need a lesser size that still gives people (and fish) a chance.

I understand where you are coming from with the sexual maturity giving them at least one spawning season though!

On another point, I don't think the trap boats have this regulation on Reds either in the dimersal andTimor box. I know that WA trap boats do!
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

I only read that legislation last week cuddles and can't remember reading it in the nt one.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

45cm would be a good start anyway
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

It appears that all of us are of a similar like minded aim - we want to preserve and sustain the fishery for the longer term. Our suggestions / solutions differ but the intent is the same. Shove that up the greeny wankers noses - fancy a bunch of fish murderers like us wanting to preserve the environment. I think it is great. I am with GHound on the Jewy front - I have never caught one, probably never will, as I have not targeted them, but leaving them alone for a while or even reducing the limit to one per person, couldn't be a bad thing.

The catch and release of Jewies seems to be pointless in most places (like I said I have never fished for them so I could be wrong). The rock bar in the Finniss gets smashed every set of neaps by some operators and they "catch and release", but you see these "released fish" floating belly up downstream. No spot that small can take that sort of pressure day in/day out.

Would love to see the real figures of the fish being taken / "caught and sent back with unsurvivable barotrauma" by the charter operators in that area. They are pretty much out there every day.
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

What I forgot to mention, was the fact that Fog Bay got smashed by Prawn Trawlers this year. For weeks they were constantly working between Long Lost and about 8 km offshore. I remember seeing thousands of small dead bait fish floating on the surface. Imagine how many other fish and prawns were pillaged during the event. There was about six trawlers working the area, for weeks. Can't have helped today's fishing by removing all of the prawns and bait.

I think a closed season would be the go, say staring after Shady Camp when the weather is mostly bad at Dundee. Three months Feb to the end of March
Biff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Biff »

Must admit,i did a trip out to flat top a few years ago with anal fury charters, and the deckie we had for the trip was very particular with the size of reds we could keep.It was actually realy good to see his concern for the fish,as its in his best interest for the future of fishing out their.All fish released swam away fit as,till i guess the men in grey suits slapped them.
Just my two bobs worth......for what its worth.
Cheers.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Dundee Hombre wrote:What I forgot to mention, was the fact that Fog Bay got smashed by Prawn Trawlers this year. For weeks they were constantly working between Long Lost and about 8 km offshore. I remember seeing thousands of small dead bait fish floating on the surface. Imagine how many other fish and prawns were pillaged during the event. There was about six trawlers working the area, for weeks. Can't have helped today's fishing by removing all of the prawns and bait.

I think a closed season would be the go, say staring after Shady Camp when the weather is mostly bad at Dundee. Three months Feb to the end of March

I did a banana season in 97 and we pulled more than 10 ton out of Fog Bay alone.......we were not the only trawler there either.