Fishing pressure in Fog Bay

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fishing pressure in Fog Bay

Post by Fish Tank »

DOUG wrote:
ghound wrote:OK so let me get this straight QLDers are the smart ones????? and here I was all this time thinking they were morons
I think there fishery has some big reef or something over that keeps there fishery stocked so it looks like there limits are working here we are way to far from the shelf !! That's my thoughts on there limits !
So your saying because we have less habitat to keep our fishery stocked we should have no size or bag limits? Seems like crazy talk to me. :bonk:

DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Tell me how pulling a fish up that is almost certainly going to die and then throwing it back over board going to solve the problem ?? That's crazy talk
I've said it before closed seasons on areas is the only way to help manage fish numbers or just stop fishing altogether !
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

DOUG wrote:Yeah I'm not talking just reds or are they the only fish you release? I do the same I let all the small reds go!
I only mainly target reds and trout, everything else goes back in the water unless its stuffed.
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

Fish Tank wrote:
DOUG wrote:So your happy to see fish floating out the back or sinking to the bottom dieing rather than keeping them ?
If only barotrauma wasn't an issue it would be good !
Yep
When you target reds and trout use circle hooks and release the small ones. Its not F'ing rocket science dude. Goldies and jew you can do what you like, they all die.
Most trout I catch have suffered barratrauma
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Hahah I'd like to only target them but it would be a quiet trip if that's all I was targeting !! As I don't get that many :) :)
From 20m there all pretty much stuffed from what I've seen ! Trout especially blow there stomach out !
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

stormboy wrote:
Fish Tank wrote:
DOUG wrote:So your happy to see fish floating out the back or sinking to the bottom dieing rather than keeping them ?
If only barotrauma wasn't an issue it would be good !
Yep
When you target reds and trout use circle hooks and release the small ones. Its not F'ing rocket science dude. Goldies and jew you can do what you like, they all die.
Most trout I catch have suffered barratrauma
Yep one of the worst for blowing there insides out there mouth !
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

DOUG wrote:Yeah I'm not talking just reds or are they the only fish you release? I do the same I let all the small reds go!
I'm talking about many times I've seen some, not all, charter operators filleting very small reds and trout at Dundee. If these guys are doing this day in day out, they're slitting their own throats and buggering up my kids fishing future as well.

Same as when they brag about catching and releasing 20 Spanish or jews a day etc. They don't release well and most die too.

AFANT need to worry about a code of practice for these morons instead of some crud they came up with for the Mary River/Chambers Bay.
Last edited by Fish Tank on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Yeah do you think catch/ size limits will fix this on any of the species other than red emperor ?
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

According to Recfishing Research in Queensland. Coral trout have overall survival rate of 80% even with blown swim bladder. More if you vent or shot line. That's another problem with NT Gov/AFANT's obsession with Goldies and Jewies, the only research being done is in Queensland.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Yeah your right that is interesting that they can survive that !
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

A bit left field but sharks also to blame. I've caught more sharks in the last 4 weeks (excluding ftb) than I have in 4 years, they've been thick.

Here in the nt the sharks seem to be a lot more populated, so say out of the 80% of trout that would potentially make it back alive, I wonder how many get smashed by sharks.

This is something closed seasons would help but I'd still like to see a bag or size limit for some species.

Just a thought....
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

AFANT need to worry about a code of practice for these morons instead of some crud they came up with for the Mary River/Chambers Bay.
I tell you what Fish Tank you make a lot of sense. And after reading the above I know you a good bloke. Might be time to get the FU AFANT club up and running. Fluro shirt wearing pansies.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

DOUG wrote:Yeah your right that is interesting that they can survive that !
Trout are basically a type of cod. I've had rock cod in the esky that were still alive after we got home from fishing. There's a whole industry in QLD catching live coral trout and shipping them to Hong Kong. They're tuff buggers.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Fish Tank wrote: Trout are basically a type of cod.
Hmm..... that was a bit of a debate killer even for Doug and Ghound :D hard to argue with that logic.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

what can I say when your right your right....