Fishing pressure in Fog Bay

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fishing pressure in Fog Bay

Post by ghound »

sexual maturity is an intresting one.
Don't want to do a birds and the bee's lesson but letting all the males go and keeping females seems a bit strange. Adam and Eve and all that??

stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

Then that's why you'd make it for eg 55cm I guess.....
Last edited by stormboy on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

Dam straight its only Jewies an goldies they worry about. Reds and trout need to be looked at too. They're the ones that can be released okay when under size and declining in numbers. I have a self imposed size limit on them. If its legal in QLD it can go in the box. Charter operators should have the same restraint and protect there industry.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

So your happy to see fish floating out the back or sinking to the bottom dieing rather than keeping them ?
If only barotrauma wasn't an issue it would be good !
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

OK so let me get this straight QLDers are the smart ones????? and here I was all this time thinking they were morons
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

I can't speak for qlders but apparently they're wrapped with their fishery, reds and trout in abundance, with a lot more reds around these days and thumpers too. I'm only hearing this second hand off friends, pros/charter operators.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

ghound wrote:OK so let me get this straight QLDers are the smart ones????? and here I was all this time thinking they were morons
I think there fishery has some big reef or something over that keeps there fishery stocked so it looks like there limits are working here we are way to far from the shelf !! That's my thoughts on there limits !
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

stormboy wrote:I can't speak for qlders but apparently they're wrapped with their fishery, reds and trout in abundance, with a lot more reds around these days and thumpers too. I'm only hearing this second hand off friends, pros/charter operators.
Yep I just mentioned that in my post above
Why is it we don't get big quality reds here do ya reckon ?? I've heard of one that went 10kg only up here ! There small ones so surely gotta be big ones somewhere ?
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

I think big boats 4 stoke motors etc have a big say. Look at the FTB posts you guys put up. Some absolute ripping fish there. It's not that the fishery is in such a good state here its just possible to head for less visted ground. Same as QLD big long runs to catch a lot of the fish I reckon. HAven't heard to many reports on how well Southport peir is fishing
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

ghound wrote:I think big boats 4 stoke motors etc have a big say. Look at the FTB posts you guys put up. Some absolute ripping fish there. It's not that the fishery is in such a good state here its just possible to head for less visted ground. Same as QLD big long runs to catch a lot of the fish I reckon. HAven't heard to many reports on how well Southport peir is fishing
From what I gather from a few people up here, flat top is flogged now, only a few years ago we would've got more variety? It's the first time I'd been so buggered if I know. A couple of my mates go to rainbow beach, double island point and they're saying they're catching big reds close to there now. But I see your point, but it all makes a difference.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Timor box gets "flogged"these days as well not to many virgin area's these days
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

DOUG wrote:
stormboy wrote:I can't speak for qlders but apparently they're wrapped with their fishery, reds and trout in abundance, with a lot more reds around these days and thumpers too. I'm only hearing this second hand off friends, pros/charter operators.
Yep I just mentioned that in my post above
Why is it we don't get big quality reds here do ya reckon ?? I've heard of one that went 10kg only up here ! There small ones so surely gotta be big ones somewhere ?
I think a combination of shallower water, more tidal and slower growth rates in the NT are the reason for the smaller Reds. That's just my opinion though.
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

ghound wrote:Timor box gets "flogged"these days as well not to many virgin area's these days
Dead right. What are the fisheries doing about it - nothing. Maybe we should all move to QLD ghound...? ;-)
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

DOUG wrote:So your happy to see fish floating out the back or sinking to the bottom dieing rather than keeping them ?
If only barotrauma wasn't an issue it would be good !
Yep
When you target reds and trout use circle hooks and release the small ones. Its not F'ing rocket science dude. Goldies and jew you can do what you like, they all die.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Yeah I'm not talking just reds or are they the only fish you release? I do the same I let all the small reds go!