Fishing pressure in Fog Bay

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fishing pressure in Fog Bay

Post by stormboy »

Dundee Hombre wrote:I am not complaining about the tractor charge, $25 is cheap I agree and the overheads are large. I am talking about the fishing pressure that Dundee is under. Easter is the busiest time with over 100 boats per day on the Friday and Saturday. 50 boats on any given Saturday seems to be the norm nowdays. I have seen less boats fish and more fish waste in the trailer. My point is there is a lack of fish coming in to be filleted, the quality of fish is poor too given I have seen much larger frames in the trailer in past times.
Mate, most people don't fillet their fish there.

COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

I don't normally fillet at the table. midgies are bad at times.

I wish they never upgraded the road myself.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

The fishing at Dundee is cr.p !
i hope people stop going there and look for better grounds elsewhere :D :D :D
Toxic
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Toxic »

I totally agree. No fish left, totally fished out. Waste of time. :lipsrsealed:
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

When you get F.wit charter operators filleting 23cm red emperor, no wonder it's all F'ed up.
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

yeh I've seen some really small reds etc filleted in the bin there..
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Personally I couldn't care what's been filleted who's right is it to tell us what we can feed out families ??
If it ain't bring wasted what's the problem ?
Better than throwing it back over dead or feeding it to a shark.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

DOUG wrote:Personally I couldn't care what's been filleted who's right is it to tell us what we can feed out families ??
If it ain't bring wasted what's the problem ?
Better than throwing it back over dead or feeding it to a shark.
The "F everyone else I'll take what I like" attitude is probably what's causing the problems DOUG. Thanks for that :fu:
Charter operators should set an example to others and their punters. After all its there living they're destroying if they don't. I'm no greeny by any stretch of the imagination but some people are taking the p..s.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

whats the point of throwing back a dieing or dead fish.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Do you not understand anything about the effects of barra trauma ??
The only way to help the fish population is to stop fishing for them all together !
Catch and release isn't going to work so why throw it back dead?? because its small ?? Just a waste people who are throwing back small fish are doing more harm and stuffing it for others a fish in the esky is a fish in the eaky no matters it's size !
You may feel good about your self releasing small fish but it ain't helping the problem !
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

Because I'd rather throw back a 23cm red than look like a greedy wanker at the filleting table.

Reds are OK for release. Not badly affected by barra trauma. FYI.

I'm not really concerned about the average fisho out getting a feed. Its the so called professionals who are not doing the right thing day in day out F'ing it for all of us.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

it's all relative I guess. Me personally every time I see someone kill a jewie I cringe a bit these days. A small red is the least of our problems IMHO.
Don't get me wrong killed plenty of jewies (too many) Killed plenty of reds. Jewies are in a much bigger danger than reds though.
As far as the charter mob go.......... if you expecting any scruples from that end your going to be disappointed.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

We fished Dundee back in the day when there was only one old bloke in a caravan and his dog, and no facilities whatsoever. He had a theodolite set on the beachfront and watched the charter boat come out of Dum-in-murrie island, anchor on the jewie reef and the clients pulled in 11 big jewies in quick succession!
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Fish Tank wrote:Because I'd rather throw back a 23cm red than look like a greedy wanker at the filleting table.

Reds are OK for release. Not badly affected by barra trauma. FYI.

I'm not really concerned about the average fisho out getting a feed. Its the so called professionals who are not doing the right thing day in day out F'ing it for all of us.
Yeah reds are apparently the only fish up here!
I'd much rather keep a dieing fish than throw it back over the side to die than worry about what someone is going to think.
I used to only keep the bigger fish and let all the smaller fish go lately I been keeping everything I use the smaller fish for strip baits to save on cost of buying bait and anything that's 40cm gets kept whole and cooked whole to save waste ! With the smaller fish
Just seems a big waste to throw fish back over that there isn't nothing wrong with eating !
That's just my opinion tho.
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

Can't blame these so called people for doing it, it isn't illegal for people to take small fish, until they bring in educated legislation then it'll continue to be free for all.

I've pushed the issue to fisheries about the sexual maturity of Red Emperor being (46-49cm), but all they're concerned about is Golden Snapper & Jewfish.

As I said, as bad as it is, people aren't doing anything illegal unfortunately.