Just 4 outfits for all tropical estuary exploring.

Sasa23
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just 4 outfits for all tropical estuary exploring.

Post by Sasa23 »

I do a lot of hunting around my local creeks and rivers (Rocky, Yeppoon & Port Alma), always looking for new creeks & cut throughs, rock bars, fallen timer & slips etc. And was just wondering how others would pick just 4 rods for a day exploring a tropical estuary casting lures and covering all bases and all potential targets. I only take 4 rods as my little 12v 1979, Brooker (15 Yam) has very limited space.

I have 4 outfits that I just naturally just grab when I am heading to a new area.
And here they are;

From top to Bottom.

7 Foot, 6lb braid, Spin Rod: Bream, Whitting, Flathead, small Salmon etc. Great for casting small poppers, SPs & blades, long casts in shallow water for that finesse approach.

7 Foot, 12lb briad, Spin rod: As above, but for bigger Salmon, small-medium Barra and big flathead etc. It handles larger SPs and HBs to about 100mm lenght. (It’s my #1 go to rod in most exploratory situations)

6 Foot, 20lb braid, Baitcast: Light and easy to cast medium sized HB & SPs to snags drains and slips. Yet to catch a fish on this, can’t wait for some warmer days to get a bend in it.

5 foot 9, 30lb Braid, Baitcast: Great when trolling Xtra deep HBs over heavy ground, good heavy rod, wicked drag pressure. Can fish big SPs in deepwater, big fish rod, it’s my “come- here” gear. Sadly I use this least but it’s nice to know it’s there if I encounter a hot bite on big fish.

AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Just 4 outfits for all tropical estuary exploring.

Post by AJay »

If im just flicking lures around in the creeks ill only be chasing barra and maybe snapper or jacks, so I tend to just take two 30lb baitcasters, the second one is only for if i somehow break my usual combo.

I normally take a mate with me and id get the s...ts with having 8 rods onboard.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

p..s off Ajay, put some rod holders in your boat.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

In my bass boat it's a minimum of 3 rods each :) that's how the yanks do it so that's how I do it !
Don't have to change lures minnow on one weedless on another !
Sasa23
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sasa23 »

I have no mates, so I normally fish alone.

Plus no respectable fisherman would ever be brave enough to venture into my poorly 1976 Brooker.
I have not even got an electric motor, sacrilegious.

Sadly we are not all Miners with huge incomes.
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Ben Jam wrote:p..s off Ajay, put some rod holders in your boat.
Cool your jets kingy, not having a dig. Just my personal preference, I've only got two hands.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

gawd, I'm with you Ben, 2 rods only. I don't think I could venture out in the boat without at least 4. usually 1 is a spare.

I reckon you're on the money there Sasa 23, I reckon I have 4 outfits that I mainly use around the estuaries and the harbour. 6lb, 10lb 20lb and sometimes the 30lb gets a go, mainly threadline outfits.

most deckies etc bring 2-3, but plenty of room for 6 in the small boat along the pockets inside the gunnels without getting in the way.

I always take 2 when fishing LB, usually 1 as a spare or to throw a livie on while I am chucking lures around.

a standard o/n trip on the big boat, bluewater, and there is usually at least 10 rods on board, but that's due to targeting all sorts of species and trolling 6 at once sometimes!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!