Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
James27311
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by James27311 »

Hi new to the forum

Arrived in Darwin roughly a week ago, I'm travelling ATM but will be round the area for a while. Pretty keen on the fishing up this way so wondered where people tend to fish especially on these neap tides that will be coming in?

I've fished buffalo at the boat ramp with just lures on the incoming tide nothing caught 26/7/13

east point in the morning on the outgoing tide on prawn and squid caught a 45cm breem, 35 cm blue tusk fish and some small reefie type fish rock cod? 29/7/13

Any help or advice greatly appreciated cheers James

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Newbie

Post by Matt Flynn »

Buff Creek is worth a shot at night, you can get big barra there but keep in mind a big croc could be there too.

East Point should have some queenfish and trevally around, and the occasional mackie, you'll need a good casting rod with chrome lures, or a balloon and bait if the wind is right.

Round near the Deckchair Cinema also has a few queenfish and trevs.

There are places you can drive into the upper harbour arms if you look at Google Earth, a couple of the upper rockbars are accessible.

Channel Island is another great landbased spot, with barra and more, but you have to walk a fair way.

If you want to go for a drive the rocks south of the Lodge of Dundee in Fog Bay produce barra at high tide at dawn on shallow lures.

Early mornings and late arvos are definitely the go.
Lilman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Lilman »

If you enjoy bream fishing, hit me with a pm and ill try to give ya a hand! However if yiur up for a bigger fish, mandorah on these tides also does well! Just on me if yiur interested :)
James27311
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by James27311 »

Thanks for the advice, I reckon I'll be gettin down to the tackle shop to stock up lol any advice or tips for rigs?

Have 2 rods one 7 ft rod the other 6, running roughly 20-25 pound mono and a 55 lb leader on a 3/0 octopus hook

Lures I have a golden bomber 2 sorts a 15 g chromie and some Maribors

Would be good if I get pick up some tips for little lives too?

Thanks again ill let you know how I go James
James27311
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by James27311 »

Lilman wrote:If you enjoy bream fishing, hit me with a pm and ill try to give ya a hand! However if yiur up for a bigger fish, mandorah on these tides also does well! Just on me if yiur interested :)

For some reason I'm not able to pm but yeh I've got plenty spare time on my hands so be good if could be shown the ropes a bit cheers jus pm me some contact details cheers
James27311
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by James27311 »

Fished easy point today only this afternoon on the tide going out, not really much happening just little reef type fish generally found it fishes well in the mornin, my inexperience probably letting me down, but found a good burley gets things moving

mandorah this Saturday though so will update then
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

James27311 wrote:Thanks for the advice, I reckon I'll be gettin down to the tackle shop to stock up lol any advice or tips for rigs?

Have 2 rods one 7 ft rod the other 6, running roughly 20-25 pound mono and a 55 lb leader on a 3/0 octopus hook

Lures I have a golden bomber 2 sorts a 15 g chromie and some Maribors

Would be good if I get pick up some tips for little lives too?

Thanks again ill let you know how I go James
Take your reels in to frenchie at the Tacklebox in Palmo, get em spooled up with braid( won't cost an arm or leg) he'll give you some good info on what you need to get going.
Arafura bait jigs are about $2.50 at the Shipstores at fishermans wharf.
graham.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
James27311
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by James27311 »

Wow mandorah is crazy, the way things take a livey are awesome

fishing was steady through the wknd found the tide changes were key, no real pattern to it, Saturday mornin a 15+ kg spaniard measured 1300 was taken by the balloon method, was landed on a tiny rod too was wicked, it genuinely took all the line down to the spool, the guy couldn't believe his luck when it was landed!

There was also a 70+ kg grouper brought in unfortunately it couldn't be brought onto the pier

I had takes using a running sinker and a 6/0 octopus I just couldn't land anything lol just kept diving under the pier as soon as I set the hook ha ha there were also takes with just a trace and 6/0 hook.

Learnt the hard way with buying gear my last take was on the rod I wanted but my wire trace I had was a big w special cheapo and the snap clip bent out gutted or what I even managed to get him to run out lol

All in all a great wknd with some monster fish landed thumbs up ill be back in couple weeks when the neaps are back :) hopefully with some half descent gear not crappy traces and 4 kg mono ha ha thanks for all the advice too guys
AdzaNT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AdzaNT »

There are a few good queenies hanging around fisherman's wharf rock spit on the late afternoon high. Just grab some livies from the wharf and soak them with with or without a balloon. Also some fish on the lee pt rock spit on the dropping tide on lures or a Buff ck livie under a balloon. Always a good chance of picking up a barra there on soft plastics too. good luck, but sounds like you'll spend all your time at mandorah.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

East Point has some nice fish, if you have an early morning tide.
Chrome slices give good results there, but I have also seen some people get good fishes on Popper.

Have a good day,
Pecheur