Structure scan settings

craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Structure scan settings

Post by craig.g »

Thanks fff1964 i need to set my new has up better because i am nowhere near this for detail.

Cheers Craig

Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Here are a few screenshots taken during the Barra Classic. A few more to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Sweet shots blinky so much detailed
----------------------------
-----------------------------
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Yeah blinky you are zoned in with yours mate might have to get some tips.

Cheers
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Thanks blinky have hopefully inputed your early settings correctly and will see how i go next weekend, was hoping for this for today but scuppered by mothers day.
Strange as i KNOW my mum wouldn't mind but my wife is up in arms funny as she's not my mum, only my children's!!

Cheers Craig
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

A few interesting (well to me anyway ... ) observations.

Both Blinky & FFF1964 seem to be producing beautifully clear structure scan images.

Those that are struggling would probably have been pointed to settings adjustments - but from my experience, the major settings involved are correct frequency, contrast & palette.

Now it seems commonly accepted that 800kHz is best for us (same for both Blinky & FFF1964).
While in different circumstances palette may make some difference to clarity, it appears to me more of a preference thing - and if you've not got good clear images in one palette, changing palettes won't suddenly give you crisp image.
I'd nealy convinced myself that contrast was the main game changer - have for some time have had mine locked to 70%

Blinky seems to be with me, as his contrast seems steady at 72%, yet FFF1964 seems to have a variable contrast from as low as 36% to 65%.

Why then are some people experiencing bad images with the same 'generic' settings, and others like FFF1964 can change quite dramatically the contrast, with no apparent change to crispness of image?

FFF1964 - do have any 'formula' in altering contrast (ie deeper, longer range more/less contrast??).
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Had a go today with mine set to blinkys settings just on down scan mode couldn't really make out much but I guess ill keep tryin

cheers Brent
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

slug wrote: I'd nealy convinced myself that contrast was the main game changer - have for some time have had mine locked to 70%

Blinky seems to be with me, as his contrast seems steady at 72%, yet FFF1964 seems to have a variable contrast from as low as 36% to 65%.

Why then are some people experiencing bad images with the same 'generic' settings, and others like FFF1964 can change quite dramatically the contrast, with no apparent change to crispness of image?

FFF1964 - do have any 'formula' in altering contrast (ie deeper, longer range more/less contrast??).
Slug, since reading this topic I have been playing with my contrast on the structure scan a lot. I am now running mine as low as 35% and as high as 75%. I haven't worked the formula out yet but as a general rule the deeper the water the more contrast I run.

I find the first 1.5 m picks up so much clutter it makes it hard to read, doesn't seem to matter if I am moving or sitting still. I am going to move my transducers again as I think they get a lot of prop wash in the current location.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

This may be of some use to those having difficulties in setting up..........

http://doctorsonar.com/pages/doctor-son ... nce-models
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Gregsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Gregsy »

I had mine set on 53% and it was sweet with the blue palate but since the update it's now + or - and I can't find that sweet spot!!