Braid scissors

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Braid scissors

Post by ronje »

Hello all

Sometimes u come across a product that is a standout.

I've tried all sorts of braid scissors to no avail.

Every single one of them simply bruised the braid and always left some fibres uncut.

I gave up in the end and simply used the bag knife to fray the braid until it broke.

This may not be news to some/a lot of you, but Wilson retail an excellent pair of braid scissors. Stainless steel with serrated edge.

Tehy will cleanly snip bits off a loose bit of braid hanging vertically each and every time.

Attached pix show the various types of scissors I've tried including 2 x braid scissors, a pair of surgical scissors (I was confident they'd work and disappointwed when they didn't), and 2 other types.

A piece of braid runs lengthwise and in fron of the tip of each set of scissors is the result of 1 snip from each in attempts to cut it.

The one on the left is the Wilson pair and I'd recommend them to anybody who wants braid scissors that work every time.

I bought these for $25.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards
Ronje
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Braid scissors

Post by BenH »

Good stuff Ronje

I've got a pair similiar to the top right in your picture, they get there eventually :bonk:
ChrisK7
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisK7 »

best scissors you can get period are trauma shears from the medical supply joint in berrimah. they are about $7 and will cut ANYTHING, from braid, leader to clothes and you can even cut through shoes with it easily. Handy thing to have around and cheaper than most of the fishing scissors around.
A bad days fishing beats a good days work..
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Rapala make some that are $5 and work perfectly
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

What's the finger and thumb hole like Ronge?
I have problems with most scissors not being big enough
Found one stainless pair in a second hand shop that are large.I use them for shelling my redclaw but not good enough for braid
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

I used Ben H braid scissors to trim a few loose pubic hairs and he didn't won't them back so I got a good pair for free they do the job no worries :) :) cheers Ben ;)
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Hey Doug, I've heard they're the same brand Chuck Norris uses to trim his beard, is this true?? :cool:

:cheers:

Melv
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Braid scissors

Post by stormboy »

Great work Ronje, very informal, I've tried a few but get the same result, will give the Wilson ones a crack and I'll try that place in berrimah.

Shaggs, I have the same problem with scissor holes, blessed with the fat finger gene!

Doug, funny stuff, well played!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

I got the local guy to demonstrate them before buying. Insisted that he used a pair straight out of the packet and I took those once satisfied. He just hung a piece of braid up with one hand and proceeded to cut 50mm lengths off i after the other. Good enough for me. Couldn't do that with anything I had.

Finger room seems ok.

Theo....s, u've had more success than I have with Rapala scissors.

Will check out for those trauma shears. I think I know the ones u r talking about.
Regards
Ronje
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BenH »

DOUG wrote:I used Ben H braid scissors to trim a few loose pubic hairs and he didn't won't them back so I got a good pair for free they do the job no worries :) :) cheers Ben ;)
:fu:
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Had the same pair for a couple of years now, clean cut every time..light blue fingerholes.
Woolies sewing section.
Use em for trimming th mo, fingernails, cable ties on kids toys, seven strand trace, leaders.
About $4 from memory. decent size finger holes as well.
Tried all the u-beauty "braid scissors".
None worth a knob of goatshyte after a couple of uses.
Nothig like any of the pictured one here.
Got fine knife edge points to th blades.
graham.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

The pictured yellow handled ones are $4 Woolworths specials. Very fine sharp points and great for leader and everything else. But will not cut braid. bl..dy things.

I use a set of nail clippers for leader. Small to store, easy to use, cheap to replace when rusted, clean cuts, leave small tag ends. But they won't cut braid either!

I'm happy (for now).
Regards
Ronje
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

TRied them Ron, haven't seen the blue ones for ages, maybe discontinued stock, bought them at Smithfield, about 5yrs ago.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.