Queries: Shimano Calcutta Conquest 100 DC (JDM 2010 model)

The Doctor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Queries: Shimano Calcutta Conquest 100 DC (JDM 2010 model)

Post by The Doctor »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here from the forum own or have used this reel and what are their thoughts on it. (I am talking about the JDM 2010 model with the DC+)

I am contemplating on getting a high end DC reel.

Appreciate any input.

Cheers

STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Queries: Shimano Calcutta Conquest 100 DC (JDM 2010 mode

Post by STANDY »

Mate has one, and i have a older calcutta 200 and 200b and could not work out how far the handle is out from the body of the conquest reel. Handle sits a good 20mm further out than normal. which makes it quite wide on the rod. Looks well made but too wide a reel for me.

IMHO the 10 year old calcutta,s are the better made of them all. The old silver 200 is one of my best.
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

I have a 250dc,200dc,300 conquest and the old 200b..........The DC reels are a pleasure to use and both are now about 5 years old and have not missed a beat and are used in salt.

The old 200b is a clunker compared to the newer gear and stays at home,the 100dc would only be a freshwater reel IMO the 200 is as small as you would want for a general barra reel.
The Doctor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Doctor »

Thanks for the input, guys.
Basstad wrote:The old 200b is a clunker compared to the newer gear and stays at home,the 100dc would only be a freshwater reel IMO the 200 is as small as you would want for a general barra reel.
Basstad, I am a bit of finesse fan and am planning to run 20lb sufix 832 (30lb max) on the new reel and the Conquest 100 DC should be able to hold well over 150 yards of the 20lb. My Core 50Mg has the exact same line capacity and I have been finding the line sufficient. Out of curiosity - the 200 DC you have, is it the JDM Calcutta Conquest or it is the Calcutta TE?

Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

It's a TEDC 200......my 300TE is a JDM Conquest which i bought for PNG Bass,one problem with the smaller 100 size is room to put your thumb on the spool.........there ain't much room there really......i had one of the old gold XT50 Calcuttas and it was just too small.......I have a Core and as you would know the top of the reel is open compared to the Calcuttas.
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

The doctor are you looking for good cast control or a small reel or both. I have had quite a bit to do with Shimano dc reels over the years and have never had a reel needing the electrics replacing they have that we'll designed.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
The Doctor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Doctor »

Basstad, thanks for the info. One more question, just how much bigger is the 200 DC compares to the 100 DC? Do you have any idea?
justin wrote:The doctor are you looking for good cast control or a small reel or both. I have had quite a bit to do with Shimano dc reels over the years and have never had a reel needing the electrics replacing they have that we'll designed.
Basstad, thanks for the info. One more question, just how much bigger is the 200 DC compares to the 100 DC? Do you have any idea?
Justin, I am looking for a small DC reel for my new finesse barra set up. Any recommendation? It's Jack btw.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

If looking for a smaller lightweight finsse reel have a look at the Metainium MG DC.......basicly a JDM Core with DC.....very light and smooth......i imported one for a mate a few years ago......nice bit of gear