Very slow weekend at the Sth

Public and private club events - results and battle stories. And any other club news ...
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Very slow weekend at the Sth

Post by nomad »

Went down the Sth Ali to do battle with around 25 competitors in all.

By the end of the first day, a single 50 odd cm barra was winning the comp. yep, one barra out of everyone. :(

There was a lot of smallish bait (100mm mullet) all along the river but no boofing at all to be seen.
We pulled into a small creek near the top junction and finally some small fish started to boof as the tide changed and started to run out.
Plenty of strikes but no hook up over a couple of hours. Very frustrating fishing

It was stinking hot and the flies were all over us. Climbing up inside your glasses and in your ears. :x

I managed to hook a small rat, but dropped the silver beauty right at the boat. I was using my beloved threadybuster but still couldn’t get on the score card.

We packed up and went down to Culvert creek for zip. I did see a massive rooster tail but that’s another story. :wink:

Day 2 and we headed straight for the creek again. No action to be seen or heard so we pushed right up to the top end of the river for a look.
\very few birds and even less crocs about

There was a fair bit of water up on the floodplains but no runoff whatsoever. Completely different to last years comp where sheets of water were seen flowing from the floodplain.
Anyway, back to the creek that had shown some promise and limited action the previous day. We set up and waited, And waited.
They came on for a short while and boofs could be heard everywhere that we weren’t. especially further up the creek that we couldn’t access
A couple of follows, short strikes but still the frustration of no takes. :banghead:
Several downsizes of SP’s , a fish was finally boated.
I started getting short-strikes so I dangled a stinger hook and that did the trick

Eventually the fish moved to within range and my deckie was on. She boated 3 fish all up to my single 50 odd cm single fish for the weekend.
Several were dropped right at the boat and one managed to jump off on the mud bank
The boofs were right up against the banks and although we were casting into the deepest water around 1.8m, they weren’t taking the lure until it was in less than 100mm of water. The water was so dirty that you couldn’t even see the take in that shallow water.
One fish almost jumped up the bank to grab the lure but the outcome was a big boof within a metre of the boat and no fish
We stayed there til they went off the bite and then we moved on as well.
My deckie took all the pics so maybe they will turn up somewhere here?

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Very slow weekend at the Sth

Post by cuddlescooper »

so who won the comp with what size pish?
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Bugger! :?
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

we wont know til the presentation on friday :evil:
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Hi Nomad, welcome to my fishing world (except I'm L/B)!

Sounds like seriously hard hard work. Like CC, will be interesting to find out about the winning pish.
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Sounds like a normal straya day weekend at the south Nomad

Don't feel so bad now, as Smartypants and I pulled a couple of rats near the diversion dam at Kununurra on Sunday morning before driving home!!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

:D heard you had the best of the best in the deckie department :D

I will post photos tomorrow not that they are brag worthy :lol:
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

Here you go a few pics of our little rats

Nomad got a 58cm and my 3 were 41, 54, 53cm

We had to downgrade to inch long sp's that you would typically use for bream to entice the bite where as the first day we were matching the size of the mullet around 10cm.

:cheers:

JQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I blame the leccy :o
Wrighty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Wrighty »

yep we found it pretty tough up the river also mate. Went out the front on Saturday and got a dozen or so but went for a look up on sunday and only managed 3 fish.

We were the blue 5.8 top ender you said gday to on the way back down towards the ramp
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

should have joined the comp. :D
Bellfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bellfish »

they probably would have one it