Baitcaster Rod suggestions

stevep84
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Baitcaster Rod suggestions

Post by stevep84 »

Cheers for all the advice guys.

I'm with you Ronje, I have TFO spinning rod I bought from the US and I wouldn't think of trying to claim the warranty locally.

I guess I need to find a local St Croix and Loomis retailers and have a look at them.
Biggest drama I have down here is finding places that stock suitable rods for barra. Have no probs finding bass sticks.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BenH »

balou wrote:
BenH wrote:
AJay wrote:Be careful spending several hundred dollars on a rod from overseas, quite often you will find the warranty is void if the rod wasn't purchased In australia.
I've bought a few Loomis rods from overseas, broken 3 over the years, all were replaced in Australia, not once was I asked where I bought it from, I don't think it's an issue really, bit rich if it comes down to producing receipts!
Not having a go mate but the poor tackle shop don't make a cent for a warranty claim in fact it cost them to post the butt away. The loomis warranty use to be really good now it half the price you pay retail. So if you a buy a rod for half the Australian retail price from America. I don't see any value as you are paying roughly the same price the as you did initially from os to replace it.

This is why I stop buying loomisis as it use to be 100 bucks replacement for every model.

From my personal experience the build quality of the loomisis have dropped the the last 5 years. They break was to easy now. I have the gl3, imx and Glx all break on me and been through warranty. The last imx went straight in the bin as I wasn't going to pay 250 to replace it.

My 12 year old gl2 is still alive and she been mistreated. The newer model are not built to last.

I put the cash towards a st croix and could not be happier.

Just my thoughts
No worries at all, definitely agree on the reduction in quality!

But to me if you buy a rod o/s for $150 and just say the same can be bought here for $300.
You snap both and take both to the same tackle shop to replace at $150 each. On one hand I've spent $300 on the other I've spent $450, remind me of why I'm not better off purchasing overseas in that situation????

I'm buying a rod from Loomis, not an individual tackle store, and the $150 is loomis's policy, not the tackle stores, so if that is to the detriment of the tackle store, I'd suggest thats an issue between the store and loomis. When you buy a loomis rod it comes with the warranty to replace at a certain price, regardless of which country or store I bought it from, while that's still the case I have no issue in taking advantage of that policy.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I was under the impression that the loomis replacement warranty was 50% of the value. From memory it was 250 to replace my imx and 250 to replace the pro blue. This was about 1-2 years ago.

I disagree that you can buy a loomis rod direct from loomis. Loomis sells there rods at wholesale prices to the tackle shop. You buy a brand from the tackle shop whether it bought in aust or from os. The brand provides a warranty to protect against defective products or a loyalty policy to keep people using the brand.

It up to the tackle shop to help you claim that warranty or loyalty policy.

Just my thoughts
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BenH »

Is $150 not 50% of $300 ???

I didn't say I'm buying a rod directly from Loomis wholesale, obviously they use retail outlets to distribute their rods.
I said I'm buying a loomis rod, from loomis, which I am albeit through a 3rd party, it's not the tackle stores own rod, their just a vehicle for distribution.
If loomis come with the warranty policy that they do, it's irrelevant whether I bought it from the US or Oz, or which store in either country, I bought a rod from loomis which comes
with a certain warranty, which I believe any retail outlet selling loomis is obliged to honour.

I'd say that's part of the reason that St Croix have certain serial numbers for different countries!

Anyway that's my thoughts, although from previous people's responses I'm probably Robinson Crusoe on this!!
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Heaps of good quality rods for around $100 just check weight if you plan to cast your arm off all day
Ps I have a st croix and love it but have plenty of other rods as spares and back ups around $100 mark and caught big fish on most o; them no issues
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

I also have a GL2 684 5'8" 10-20lb rating. Aussie version designed with the help of Matt West from Fishing & Outdoor World. It has slightly bigger guides not the small US ones. Very light and great for casting all day long (f*@k all fatigue) split butt set up and the grip feels very comfortable in the palm of your hand. and less than $300 :mrgreen:
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
juddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by juddy »

STOKESY77 wrote:Or if you are not into Raider rods the GL3 CR665 from G-Loomis is a good quality rod. 14-25lb rating but are around the $300 mark. You get what you pay for :mrgreen:
Very nice rods to use! awesome in the hand or even the GL2 series as a little cheaper?
stevep84
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevep84 »

Cheers for all the replies guys. I'm heading into the tackle store this morning to checkout what they have in store.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2