Baitcaster Rod suggestions

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Baitcaster Rod suggestions

Post by ronje »

Hi Steve

What sort of fishing do you want to engage in?

Regards
Ronje
stevep84
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevep84 »

Cheers for all the replies guys.

Ronje, I'm hoping to be chasing barra and the other freshwater species up there.

Steve.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi Steve

Shorter rods for boats but mindful of numerous times you want to cast longer distances.

Anything over 7ft in a boat is a bit long.

5ft 6ins is a bit short for longer casting but great for close-in work around the boat.

The best allround rod I've got is 6ft 3ins and I find that length a good compromise for all types of fishing.

As far as brands, I think its a confidence thing. I've got Loomis, St Croix, Carrot Stix, Boss and a couple of custom made.

If I had to pick one all-round rod it'd be a Loomis 756 (6'3' of best barra rod ever made).

Short close-in stuff would be a Loomis 665 (5'6'' )and for longer casting a 6ft9ins Carrot Stick (12 - 20 lbs).

I reckon 6ft 3 ins of a brand, action and strength you have confidence in.

$300-$400 Aus will buy you 2 really good rods overseas shipped to your front door.
Regards
Ronje
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Do a search on ebay and you will find that it's half the price for G loomis and StCroix shipped to your door from the US.

Have a look at Motackle (who are the cheapest online in AUS) and compare the price, you will be shocked by the mark up.

Even go as far as emailing the seller and making an reasonable offer.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Be careful spending several hundred dollars on a rod from overseas, quite often you will find the warranty is void if the rod wasn't purchased In australia.
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BenH »

AJay wrote:Be careful spending several hundred dollars on a rod from overseas, quite often you will find the warranty is void if the rod wasn't purchased In australia.
I've bought a few Loomis rods from overseas, broken 3 over the years, all were replaced in Australia, not once was I asked where I bought it from, I don't think it's an issue really, bit rich if it comes down to producing receipts!
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

Shorter rods are better for landbased fishing as up here many landbased spots are lined with mangroves and dense cover so less room to cast which is where the shorter rods are more practicle. Will you be landbased or boat fishing?
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

BenH wrote:
AJay wrote:Be careful spending several hundred dollars on a rod from overseas, quite often you will find the warranty is void if the rod wasn't purchased In australia.
I've bought a few Loomis rods from overseas, broken 3 over the years, all were replaced in Australia, not once was I asked where I bought it from, I don't think it's an issue really, bit rich if it comes down to producing receipts!
Thats g loomis rods, the st croix rods covered by the free lifetime warranty have nation specific serial numbers so you dont need a receipt but if its been purchased from america theyll tell you to bugger off, or perhaps return it to an american retailer for replacement
stevep84
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevep84 »

Thanks for that Ronje.

Stokesy I will be doing a bit of both hopefully. At the moment I don't have a boat but I'm looking at buying in the next year or 2. I will hopefully be able to find some nice blokes willing to take me on their boats until that happens. :-):grin::cool:

Steve

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BenH »

AJay wrote:
BenH wrote:
Thats g loomis rods, the st croix rods covered by the free lifetime warranty have nation specific serial numbers so you dont need a receipt but if its been purchased from america theyll tell you to bugger off, or perhaps return it to an american retailer for replacement
See what your saying, but you can buy 2 rods from the US cheaper than 1 here, so its no Biggie really.

The one thing i hate about the US Loomis's are the small guides, but still a decent rod overall
Hally10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hally10 »

:banghead: im with the Loomis blokes, have two and love and use both a lot, any breakage is a new rod a half price. Even if your missus puts it in the fan :banghead:
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

If you buy a St Croix and break it, it's free but it they have to be sent away for replacement. Which could leave you without a rod for a while. If you break a Loomis it's $150 but you get it replaced right away at the shop.
macka17
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by macka17 »

Hi. I got a Live fibre Classic 6kg barra with Daiwa SW203 and Shimano Tournament 5 to 8kg I think with Black Sheep 250 on it. Short longer. cover all bases and any size barra in Q'Land dams.
WHen trolling the deep water Try a Jig Stick around 250\300 with a decent jig reel on it. I use a daiwa with either Accurate 870; Diawa Saltiga 30 or a Penn Torque 200. It pulls them big buggars up in a hurry. and really stretches your arm. I just do it for a bit of fun.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

BenH wrote:
Not having a go mate but the poor tackle shop don't make a cent for a warranty claim in fact it cost them to post the butt away. The loomis warranty use to be really good now it half the price you pay retail. So if you a buy a rod for half the Australian retail price from America. I don't see any value as you are paying roughly the same price the as you did initially from os to replace it.

This is why I stop buying loomisis as it use to be 100 bucks replacement for every model.

From my personal experience the build quality of the loomisis have dropped the the last 5 years. They break was to easy now. I have the gl3, imx and Glx all break on me and been through warranty. The last imx went straight in the bin as I wasn't going to pay 250 to replace it.

My 12 year old gl2 is still alive and she been mistreated. The newer model are not built to last.

I put the cash towards a st croix and could not be happier.

Just my thoughts
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Macca17

Are you talking about the Killwell (NZ) blanks made up by Wilson? Or a Texalium? Or both.

Balou
Couldn't agree more about the GL2s. That's what mine are.

I don't worry about warranty on overseas buys. If I've cut out the Aussie guy by going overseas then its only fair that I don't go to him about warranty. Bit rich if anybody does.

Lots of good advice there, Steve.
Regards
Ronje