Reef fish stocks - some graphs

Global warming and overfishing. And any good news we can dig up.
Lumborghini
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Reef fish stocks - some graphs

Post by Lumborghini »

Hmm I might start a goldie farm so in 30 years everyone can pay me to catch one...

Lumbo,

If i'm too drunk to walk I'll rock the party on crutches...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

You'll have to start the farm now if you want some big ones in there when you open the doors :catch:
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Matt, if its as bad as what they say it is, why don't we start a goldies and a jewy log on here to help fisheries get there rec figures? Im sure people would be more than happy to help out!!
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

In WA they are imposing different rules for charter boats. As much as I hate the ever-increasing complexity of rules, I think this is the way to go, in part.

Some charter operators already have private catch limits when fishing near Darwin, or at least they did when I went out with them, but it won't work unless all operators are forced to do it.
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

well you could do what the NRSFC has been doing over in Gove for the last 6 years and keep fishing capture books, its sort of a diary each boat has to have in order to get points for the fish they catch , when filled out it will contain a lot of info on types of fish being caught, how they were caught ( eg circle hooks, bait, lures etc ), overall fishing effort.

Ben Jam wrote:Matt, if its as bad as what they say it is, why don't we start a goldies and a jewy log on here to help fisheries get there rec figures? Im sure people would be more than happy to help out!!
when the marine zones were being proposed for our area they listened to our proposal because we had the data to back it up (from our capture books) and therefore our marine zone got moved from our billfishing grounds to a more suitable place.
I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.” - Steven Wright

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Kp NT wrote:well you could do what the NRSFC has been doing over in Gove for the last 6 years and keep fishing capture books, its sort of a diary each boat has to have in order to get points for the fish they catch , when filled out it will contain a lot of info on types of fish being caught, how they were caught ( eg circle hooks, bait, lures etc ), overall fishing effort.

Ben Jam wrote:Matt, if its as bad as what they say it is, why don't we start a goldies and a jewy log on here to help fisheries get there rec figures? Im sure people would be more than happy to help out!!
when the marine zones were being proposed for our area they listened to our proposal because we had the data to back it up (from our capture books) and therefore our marine zone got moved from where it was going to be put.
Would it make sense to have a log on here? The information would be easily accessible for those concerned and it would show that the Rec community are being active to correct the damage being done.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

Lol – look through the bluewater forum posts on here, FFF is struggling to attract people to even brag about their catches compared to what used to get posted on here. Good luck getting people to enter info into a boring log..
Aside from the attraction of it if someone did go out and catch 15 goldies and necked them all – do you really think those people will enter that into the log?
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

itsinmeblood wrote:A lot of nimby's here, people agreeing that stocks are down and then chucking in a big "but" so they can keep on doing what they're already doing insisting the numbers are a personal attack on their way of life. If you fish for goldies etc and neck em you're contributing to the decline in some degree, and if the numbers need protecting then you're going to have to get your head around a change in everybodies fishing habits to do so.
Ah this post should help the fish numbers rise !!!
What are your thoughts ???
Bag limits won't work full stop !! Over the bag limit throw them back dead !!
Only way is seasonal closures in major spawning areas !
Hard to police but if say 80% of people abode bye the change that's 80% more fish that may be able to spawn and let more juvenile fish move in !
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

The FTO versus amateur figures in the brochure seem odd to me. Doesn't make sense.

Go sit out at Six Mile Buoy on a week day morning and watch all the boats pass by as they prepare to fish locally or go wider. You'll soon work out where 90% of the fishing pressure is coming from.

There are many amateur boats out on weekends but many of those would be chasing barra, and I'd wager most don't catch any snapper.

Charter boats might have to start targeting pelagics more. Breeding places like South Gutter might have to become pelagic-only fishing zones, which has been done elsewhere. Need to identify the breeding spots.
Only way is seasonal closures in major spawning areas !
It would help but will just push people elsewhere - not to mention the Aboriginal sea closures etc - which means other areas will be even more targeted.

There is only one real solution to this problem, which is happening all around the world and not just with fish. The solution is human population control, but no one wants to talk about that :lol:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

NathanL wrote:
Lol – look through the bluewater forum posts on here, FFF is struggling to attract people to even brag about their catches compared to what used to get posted on here. Good luck getting people to enter info into a boring log..
Aside from the attraction of it if someone did go out and catch 15 goldies and necked them all – do you really think those people will enter that into the log?

true Nathan but heres a different approach. A once off estimate of the numbers you have taken in the past 12 months. We ask everyone to put up their estimated figures for Jew and Snapper in relation to Darwin Harbour and to also note how many times they targeted each fish. If people cant be bothered doing that to contribute to the recovery of the harbour......well what are doing on the forum at all.....apart from using it to figure out ways to make the problem worse.

Questions about the validity of the data for me dont make sense. it not like anyone has a vested interest in scamming rec fisho's. In the past 12 months I have helped fisheries with their data collection twice.

And its the only data we have! Not only does it back up what just about everyones experience here has been telling us for years. But it also backs up what we know from experiences in other states and around the world that the approach that we have had to fishing the harbour can only lead to this exact problem.

Face it. The numbers are declining dangerously! Not only are they declining but serious changes to the way we fish is the only thing that will turn that around.

Good idea Matt to keep breeding areas for affected species limited to pelegic species. But to be honest my preference would be for 2 Rods suggestion of a 5 year moritorium in the harbour to allow stocks to recover and then a rigid bag limit of 1 Jew and 2 snapper.

My estimated harbour catch since December 2012

Black Jew
Targeted trips 4
Estimated catch 0
Estimated release 0
Primary fishing grounds: Wrecks

Golden Snapper
Targeted Trips 7
Estimated catch 10
Estimated release 30
Primary fishing grounds: Creeks and reefs
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

itsinmeblood wrote:A lot of nimby's here, people agreeing that stocks are down and then chucking in a big "but" so they can keep on doing what they're already doing insisting the numbers are a personal attack on their way of life. If you fish for goldies etc and neck em you're contributing to the decline in some degree, and if the numbers need protecting then you're going to have to get your head around a change in everybodies fishing habits to do so.
Not to mention the nimbys that believe "hey you rec fishos, just stop necking as many" is a fishery management plan.

Now... Back to logical discussion, I believe Matt is on the right track, at the least with regard to the FTOs.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Blanket harbour bans sounds good in theory but would kill too many businesses. By allowing pelagic and barra fishing the tour operators/tackle shops/boat businesses have some trade.

Harbour queenies/trevs/milkies/tuna/mackies/crabs/salmon/barra stocks are now very good.

Anyone caught slipping a sinker over the side at South Gutter could go in a public stock in the mall for a day, pelted with squid.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Matt Flynn wrote:Blanket harbour bans sounds good in theory but would kill too many businesses. By allowing pelagic and barra fishing the tour operators/tackle shops/boat businesses have some trade.

Harbour queenies/trevs/milkies/tuna/mackies/crabs/salmon/barra stocks are now very good.

Anyone caught slipping a sinker over the side at South Gutter could go in a public stock in the mall for a day, pelted with squid.
Or forced to go for a 'test drive' with slapper at midnight. :naughty:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Mud wrote:
NathanL wrote:

true Nathan but heres a different approach. A once off estimate of the numbers you have taken in the past 12 months. We ask everyone to put up their estimated figures for Jew and Snapper in relation to Darwin Harbour and to also note how many times they targeted each fish. If people cant be bothered doing that to contribute to the recovery of the harbour......well what are doing on the forum at all.....apart from using it to figure out ways to make the problem worse.

Questions about the validity of the data for me dont make sense. it not like anyone has a vested interest in scamming rec fisho's. In the past 12 months I have helped fisheries with their data collection twice.

And its the only data we have! Not only does it back up what just about everyones experience here has been telling us for years. But it also backs up what we know from experiences in other states and around the world that the approach that we have had to fishing the harbour can only lead to this exact problem.

Face it. The numbers are declining dangerously! Not only are they declining but serious changes to the way we fish is the only thing that will turn that around.

Good idea Matt to keep breeding areas for affected species limited to pelegic species. But to be honest my preference would be for 2 Rods suggestion of a 5 year moritorium in the harbour to allow stocks to recover and then a rigid bag limit of 1 Jew and 2 snapper.

My estimated harbour catch since December 2012

Black Jew
Targeted trips 4
Estimated catch 0
Estimated release 0
Primary fishing grounds: Wrecks

Golden Snapper
Targeted Trips 7
Estimated catch 10
Estimated release 30
Primary fishing grounds: Creeks and reefs
How many released in under 12m of water ?? :) :)
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Yeah its not an issue for me Doug. I only fish creeks or reefs close to shore unless I'm in some one else's boat and that time both were keepers. In other areas.....like the perons.....I fish close to shore when targeting goldies specifically for that reason. I fish deep for jewies because almost always they are keepers. I have been listening recently to experienced fishermen discussing bringing fish in slowly to reduce barrotrauma....these are the things we need to do if we are to have a fishing future with these species. None of this stuff is new. Nor is this discussion. If you don't don't want to do anything to slow the decline that's your choice. When my kids ask me what a golden snapper was like I'll be able to tell them that I did what I could to keep them in the harbour.
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...