Are Darwin snapper and jewfish stocks down?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 67

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Are Darwin golden snapper and jewfish stocks down?

NT Fisheries says they are ... http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2012/1 ... tnews.html

mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Are Darwin snapper and jewfish fish stocks down?

Post by mippa »

when you keep goldies the size as the ones in the paper you can see why. poor buggers dont have a chanceto breed
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Are Darwin snapper and jewfish fish stocks down?

Post by DOUG »

Better off keeping all of them that you pull to the surface rather than throwing them back dead !! I know I have been keeping a lot more smaller fish once I heard how barratrauma or what ever it is effects them !
Rather keep a few small ones and get my bag than feed the sharks !
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Are Darwin snapper and jewfish stocks down?

Post by nomad »

Yes they areunder threat but not from me :D
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Get ready for more bag limits
They will get what they want.
It will be far cheaper to buy from the shop (imported sh@t) than go catch it
Try and find out the percentage of N.T,'s professional catch that goes to the N.T.'s market (if you can)
I know for a fact that none off the boat my young bloke works goes here
Then tell me where the blame lays.
I can tell you,with a government that does not have the balls to cull licenses until there is only enough to supply what Australia needs
Point the finger at it's citizens to cover up what it knows that needs to be done
We shouldn't have to feed the world at our expense,they are the ones that stuffed their fish stocks not us
It will never happen
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

nomad wrote:Yes they areunder threat but not from me :D
Im hearing ya
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

shaggs wrote:Get ready for more bag limits
They will get what they want.
It will be far cheaper to buy from the shop (imported sh@t) than go catch it
Try and find out the percentage of N.T,'s professional catch that goes to the N.T.'s market (if you can)
I know for a fact that none off the boat my young bloke works goes here
Then tell me where the blame lays.
I can tell you,with a government that does not have the balls to cull licenses until there is only enough to supply what Australia needs
Point the finger at it's citizens to cover up what it knows that needs to be done
We shouldn't have to feed the world at our expense,they are the ones that stuffed their fish stocks not us
It will never happen
It already is cheaper to buy than to catch for me. But the price of fish needs to go up a lot so that it is worth farming not wild catching for sale.
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

Some spots maybe but all of our marks out at places such as charles point we have had our best year to date on. We have 10 years of fishing diaries to back it up. Maybe the fish are onto us and are hiding? We dont keep jewies where possible under 1m and goldies well they need to be at least 1.5kg for us to consider keeping. We like to be conservationists.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
cunno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by cunno »

Already cheaper for me to buy than catch. If I include the price of the boat, fuel, grog, bait etc, I catch jewfish for about $8,000 a kilo.
"catch rates falling"? - mine never rose.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

cunno wrote:Already cheaper for me to buy than catch. If I include the price of the boat, fuel, grog, bait etc, I catch jewfish for about $8,000 a kilo.
Yes
$8000 kg I wish , thats a good deal
Yes
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

JewieQueen wrote:Some spots maybe but all of our marks out at places such as charles point we have had our best year to date on. We have 10 years of fishing diaries to back it up. Maybe the fish are onto us and are hiding? We dont keep jewies where possible under 1m and goldies well they need to be at least 1.5kg for us to consider keeping. We like to be conservationists.
Your 10 years worth of diaries would be a better idea of what is going on than whatever sort of survey fisheries would have done in my opinion
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Ya gotta get up early to beat Matt to the NT News :D :mrgreen:
Well at $8,000 a kilo for jewfish there would be an army of profishermen... :mrgreen: :D

But seriously there are some things that we as fishermen and women can do. When fishing try to fish in water under 10 metres, I have actually adopted this as a routine. It gives the fish a chance of survival when released. On average I tend to release many more than I keep (except Powertail :bbad: ) I do of course realise the 10m rule is not always possible but where it is I do it! 8) 8)
The other thing and this is for the Govt to sort out is the rapidly diminishing coastline available to the recreational fisherman. This will absolutely decimate fish stocks in the open areas. Fishing pressure needs to be spread out to give all fish stocks a chance to breed. :mrgreen:

cunno wrote:Already cheaper for me to buy than catch. If I include the price of the boat, fuel, grog, bait etc, I catch jewfish for about $8,000 a kilo.
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

I used to be able to catch goldies from the nightcliff jetty and from behind the pool on live mullet, that doesn't happen anymore...
however you can still catch them that way at other spots in the harbour, but still definitely stocks are down.
Lorna shoal has been producing alot lately - that doesn't mean that is has 'recovered' just means a school has moved in and got caught maybe..?
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Some things to keep in mind.

Elsewhere in the world localised black jewfish stocks have disappeared. Gone! Researchers say the various jewfish stocks on different reefs don't mingle much so if you knock them out, that's it.

Also, golden snapper grow very slowly and are therefore vulnerable.

Given that Darwin is about to grow from Inpex, with lots of male workers coming to town who will be fishing, fisheries will need to act soon if there is already a problem.

Wouldn't it be tragic to see things deteriorate to the point where flag and small trickies become the staple catch on local reefs :wink:

If tighter bag limits are to be proposed the public would like to see evidence as to why - perhaps charter boat logs could be compiled into a graph(s) and this made public?
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

well I like to see stocks, accross the top end, go to locals who try pretty hard to catch them and bless the dinner tables of Darwin suburbia.

i'm sure 90% of locals have a pretty good attitude towards taking a fair catch home. it's the d$%$heads that take too many when the fish jews are on the bite that is annoying. i'd imagine some of these fisho's wouldl share their catch with friends, but it bring me back to my same old mantra, if you wanna eat fish go and catch it yourself. this mantra has flaws of course, it may introduce a culture of keep what you can catch no matter what it is, which would also impact stocks.

i've never really agree;d to the amatures takign more than the commercial fleets do. i think the jury is still out on that one. just look at mackeral stocks around our coast line.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "