Bottom bouncing leader

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Bottom bouncing leader

Post by Lats »

Dropper loops on a paternoster rig aren't true 'doubles'. Well not the way I rig them anyway. It might be doubled over 110lb mono but if one side breaks then the hook will slip off under any sort of tension. Breaking strain remains 110lb. Lemons have no trouble with 110lb. And they are the money shot when it comes to top shelf captures :lol: :lol:

Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bottom Bashing Bloke »

we use 100lbs jinker for our patty rigs with 6/0 musturd hooks
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Spot on Mako, rather lose a hook than have to make a whole new rig on every bite off. Generally have a bit of length to me snells so often able to just tie on a new hook and keep fishin. Good when it's a hot bite happening.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Guys
I use and prefer Schneider mono for the bulk of my wind on leaders which have been sold all over Australia and cant fault it. Its abrasion resistance and all the reasons mentioned in this thread make it great line for any type of leader.

I agree that tying a loop on your main line and slipping the hook on can be a pain when the sharks are around - especially when they take the top hook and loop!!!

Cheers

Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

I use 80lb Black Magic Tough Trace in a paternoster rig with a single twisted dropper loop with a size 6/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle hook. No drama's. I usually pre make 5 to take out with me. Have caught many sharks using this rig with no bite off's yet, just lucky I guess.
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

ive tried black magic and schnider 80/100lb. ive found the BM easier to tie but the shnider was tougher.
still get busted off more often than not.

i do catch more with lighter leaders 50/60lb
mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mike davis »

I use 20 or 30lb platil millennium braid and and 60lb jinktai plus leader for my barra reels and when in deeper water usually either 30 or 50lb platil braid with 80lb jinktai plus set up in paternoster rigs...been using this setup for years and can't fault either one.
spazzard
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by spazzard »

if its sharks or macs the leader will be shreaded, if its breaking under strain then clean break. I use 80 pound BM no dramas, although i do catch more fish with 40 pound leader
Keighto
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Keighto »

I had a bad run with some black magic leader few years back and have not used it since. I have been using the 60lb green jinkai leader for barra fishing for the last few years. it seems to suit the knots that i tie. The only down side is, it's hard work breaking off if you get badly snagged and can't retrieve the lure. I carry 80lb and 100lb for bottom bashing however I only do this type of fishing a few times a year, but once again I can't fault it.
There is no applied science but only the application of scientific knowledge, thinking and technique to practical problems - Louis Pasteur