Braid ~

Paulus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Braid ~

Post by Paulus »

Hi guys

I think you need to use as thin a line as possible to get the max on some of these small spools, unless the spool is too big.

It's a shame that the manufacturers don't list the lines as actual breaking strains, or at least state the absolute breaking strain then you could compare apples with apples, but as it stands you can have a 30lb that breaks at 22lb and a 20lb that breaks at 56lb, just the same with diameters its all fictional and none of it factual, seems these days anything goes.

The Power pro 8lb is a 17lb line. The problem is if you saw an actual 8 lb line you would probably not choose it as it would be too thin to use for the situation.

Before loading up a spool look at the listed tested breaking strain and diameter before you buy, that is what the list is for.

The bimini is nowhere near 100% and generally at best 86% that's if you do it well, if not it may only be,,,,,, well 50% or less.

Keep in mind that most knots are around the 50% of the braids abs so stronger braid for diameter is always better.

Paulus

kowkamoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowkamoo »

how about give and take a little, what i mean by that is how about using 25 lb instead of 20 lb or 30 lb. problem solve.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

I use 20lb braid for jigging and haven't really had a problem with big fish on this, unless I get snipped by a mack or sharked, doesn't matter what u use then though it will still happen.

Only using 15lb braid for Barra off the bank, haven't lost too many due to the line over the years, if I'd pulled any harder, would've bent hooks or pulled the lure. Got 2 80's last weekend and had fun.

But what Paulus sais is right, got to compare apples with apples, depends what braid u r using!!!

Don't agree with comments on the Bimini though, just gotta tie them properly and make sure you do enough twists. :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi Paulas (the go-to man for info about lines and knots).

Have you ever thought about giving lines an index number?

The index being a breaking load divided/multiplied by the line diam or something like that?

That'd convert everything over to apples for easier comparisons.
Regards
Ronje
Paulus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Paulus »

Hi Guys

After reading these 2 pages I do not know where to start.
You need to not only visit the braid buy guide but also the braid test page, this will show you the series of the manufacturers lines are.

The post has prompted me to start a new page that you can read through, it will build as time goes, I hope it answers all issues raise here, as they are to numerous to mention. Hope it helps.
http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/Information.htm

I do see these posts come up and read most, I do enjoy the site, but only so many hours in a day.

Paulus

Also have a look at this, don't know why but i did.
http://www.facebook.com/TaslineBraidPaulusJustFishing

Thanks Guys

Oh about the bimini ,,,,,, proove me wrong send in a few
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Great links Paulus, enjoyed going through and checking the info on the different braids.
What to do now, what do I use if the Bimini is only 50% of the original? Makes me worry about the amount of power I have been using as I generally use lighter lines for jigging!

That Bimini tool looks intriguing

Good info, cheers
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
aidan.cronin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aidan.cronin »

nofo

My 5000 spin combo has 30lb and my baitcaster has 20lb on it.

you should suit your line to your application. for example: when i used to target bass around somerset damn, i'de use 8lb braid and 12lb flurocarbon leader on my little spin rod. this made a big difference i casting smaller lures and overall presentation. finess is everthing during the slow winter months.
:fishing:
Paulus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Paulus »

Hi Guys

The bimini can achieve good results and i get 86% using the tool, but most bimini's fail very low and for every good one that is tied a bad one is tied.
I think that a PR knot is the knot with the best results, and can be done on very light lines.

I believe it's the right combination of lines that breeds success.

I am happy with the knot that i use, and I fish that to it's max, but i know what it's max is, I purposely put a surgeons end loop in my leader as this is the fuse, breaks there every time at a 1lb below the rest, I do not need to replace leader or braid due to failure.

You can test your knots buy lifting X amount of water in a bucket, wrap the braid around a broom handle, careful as you may do more harm than good. That's ok if your knots are consistent.

It is easy to pull on a knot and break it, if you have a 6lb Japanese line tied to mono that is 6lb at 50% = 3lb, yes you will break it by pulling it up, the Japanese lines break below or at listed bs,,,,, but not all and can vary with batches.

To talk about 20lb or 30lb listed lines means absolutely nothing as they are numbers without reference, as 20 can be 17 and then 65, the 30 can be 90, so what is it you are using, but if you are happy with the diameter then its great.

Paulus