No
29%

Total votes: 48

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Breaking down in the boat

Post by Matt Flynn »

Has your boat ever broken down? What happened?

pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by pagey »

Hi

My freinds and myself plan a bucks week fishing down the daly with two boats during the middle of the runoff :fishing: :applause: . well the first day with boats full of the good gold cans and fuel and other associated camping gear set off towards clear creek for look made it to about alligator head and the boat packed it in. I could manage 3000rpm and no more. spent a hour or so fault finding and short of disassemlbling the motor couldnt work it out. the ensuring decision was that we were that far down river with all the camping gear and a week to fish lets stay down here and fish and get drunk. and that we did. between fighting midgees/ mozzies and anything else that bites we had and enjoyable week caught poop tins of fish and made it home. We were also privilaged with the best alarm clock in the world the sun and bugs fighting there way into our tents. and the other good thing was we could wake up around the time people weer leaving the camp sites up river cook breaky have a brew and still be in the fishing spots before they got there if it only wasnt for the bugs id do it again tomorrow. well the end product was a blocked jet in one carby so i was only running on 2 cylinders. still had a ripper trip and goes to show you can still make the most out of your misfortunes
cheers
Pagey
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
Whirly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Whirly »

Years ago, in about ?86 when I was going to Uni in Wollongong, I went out fishing with my Uncle ?She?ll Be Right? Davo. We were drifting around and
picking up a few flatties, though getting in a little close to the beach and breakers. Unfortunately the big new Merc he got from auction the week before refused to start. We threw the anchor out but that kept dragging with the swell.
Davo climbed onto the bow (half cabin) and was trying to drag us out with a bucket on a rope ? a wave washed him over and he swam to the beach (no danger ? we used to swim out this far to bodysurf). I was alone and by this time there were other boats around ? but I was too far into the breakers for them to risk. Looked at the beach and saw cops and TV crews. I figured the only danger would be if I knocked my head, so I rode it out until the boat turned side-on to a mounting wave ? then I dived over, toward the incoming wave. I made it shore no worries and, in the end, so did the boat, tossed and turned a bit but still upright.
Unfortunately, I was wearing brand new, bright blue shorts at the time (it was the 80?s) and every night at 6pm for several years, on the intro to WIN nightly news ? there was my big blue arse, once again going over the side and under the wave.
I hadn?t told the oldies in Sydney ? but a reporter called Mum that night and asked how I was faring after my recent rescue at sea??.didn?t I cop it when I finally did call home!
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

Post by Guest »

Great story Whirly, your grand kids will love it.

pete
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

went to the mouth of sampan a few years back trolled there for a few hours then decieded it was time to put the spare jerrcan into the fuel tank not knowing it had big mobs of water and sludge in it (I checked the jerry prior to filling at the servo ) we went to get on the plane and that was it youd never seen so many boats go past trying not to look at us,. who would want to tow someone back that far at 3 pm.anyhow two hours later after draining carbies ,breaking the starter rope siphoning good fuel of the top we got going the only ones to offer help were the netters down there.If the same thing happened with my new boat with fuel injection Id be stuffed.
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

towing

Post by dodgyone »

Thats pretty rude to not help out a fellow fisherman.
Some friends of mine were out at Pococks last season and one of the boats had a fuel blockage late on the Sunday arvo. Tried to find it for a while but had to beat the tide so hooked it up for a tow. After a bit of weight distribution they got it onto the plane. Towed him back the 100 or so kms back to the ramp! Tower was a 5m Quinnie, 100 Yammie 4 stroke. Towee was a 4.8 with 70. 5 people between them and all camping, fishing gear for the weekend. Thought that was pretty good going and a good reason not to travel alone. Says something for having a little bit of grunt up your sleeve too. :cheers:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Fuel

Post by chanos »

Had a fuel blockage up the Adelaide once so had to sit by the bank and remove strip clean etc both carbies........... I carry kits in the spares box. Was pleasantly surprised at the amount of help I was offered.

Chanos
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
elkerr
Gold Member
Gold Member

elkerr

Post by elkerr »

I was coming back to larrakia ramp one afternoon after a days fishing on the harbour. We had to wait for a fellow launch his boat before we could get back in. This fellow launched what looked like a brand new 5m centre console with one of his mates in the boat. The mate tried unsuccessfuly to start the engine and after a few minutes the boat was drifting into the rocks. Being the good person that I am, I offered to tow the boat off the rocks. Here's me with my Husband and daughter in my 3.6m tinnie with a 15 horse donk pulling this guys boat off the rocks and out into the harbour. I also went back to the ramp offloaded my husband and daughter and picked up the owner and his girlfriend and took them to the still stricken boat. I offered to stay to make sure that the engine started but the owner declined. He then went on to say "I should have gave the engine a kick at home". Geez this guy has no common sense I thought to myself. What else could I do so I headed back to the ramp. When I got my boat out of the water the guy still had not got is engine started and was drifting out into the harbour. Needless to say I had an enjoyable day on the water. And for those of you fellas wondering. Yes, boat is mine not my husbands. Tring to get him to go fishing with me is like getting blood out of a stone. Me and my daughter usually go by our selves.

:fishing:

Stop wishing take a kid fishing.
Reel women do it better
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Did the pre-dawn haul out to Shady, got the boat in, starts 'er up and fuel is leaking every where out of the cowl. Put her back on the trailer and went back home. She was in the water all of 5 minutes!

Problem was needle and seat gummed up in botton carby!
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
hunting_mainiac
Silver Member
Silver Member

scary nite

Post by hunting_mainiac »

went fishing/cruzing up the adelade , i think it was 2 years ago , in dads , boat , i think i forgot to put oil in the second tank :roll: so on the way home the motor ceized and we were stuck between goat island ane that big creek not far from the ramp , we thort about walking back to get help but we thort twice when we realised we had to swim that creek it was about 5pm.

ended up making a fire , and wainting till morning having to cover ourselves in mud because of the mozzies n no reppleant ,

about 12am caught a croc sneaking up on us , threw a few BANGERS at it and it went away :cheers:

in the morning , police rocked up in a boat n towed us home after dad telling the cops we didnt come home

scary nite
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

break down

Post by dodgyone »

Not had a breakdown as yet. Good thing when you find out some of the places I find myself visiting. :roll:
Had to tow back a couple of guys and had a mate that had engine problems in a 72 foot cray boat at the Abrolhos Islands off WA. Had a major electrical prob and with no engine and no radio they drifted towards a huge reef break before the anchor finally grabbed. Spent the night 50 metres from the surf. Guy spent some serious time with his family after that.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Went down to Clear Creek on Easter Sat with a mate and his son in his boat, had a pretty ordinary day with only 2 fish boated at 50 cm each, but good company plenty of beers a bit of tucker and a good look around. Headed back to the ramp at Banyan farm and about 300m from the ramp we ran out of fuel! 60 litre tank should have been a 60.5 litre :banghead: Due to the current at the time we were quickly heading downstream until a kind ex local guide towed us back to the ramp. Filling up at the pub the tank would only take 56 litres, needless to say the next day saw us with 20 litres in the jerry onbard as well :cheers:
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
bj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by bj »

A fews years ago my wife and I were fishing the east during the run off with a guide. After I reversed the boat off the trailer the engine cut out and after a few mad minutes I dropped the anchor and managed to drag the boat to shore. We eventually got the motor going again and headed down to Turkey Dreaming where we cut the motor and had a fish. When we tried to start the motor she was totally stuffed (fuel pump) :evil: . So we sat for the day at a junction and fished until another guide towed us back to the ramp. The wife wasn't too happy not having shade for the day or catching any fish but a couple of Beams later she was happy again.

Oh and the day before that the throttle jammed open on another boat we were in (same guide :???: )and we ran into the bank WOT, breaking rods and knocking me for six (my panther like reflexes abandoned me that day). It happens.
The Gene pool could use some Chlorine
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Breaking down in the boat

Post by Matt Flynn »

Good time to bump this one.

Can honestly say I've never had a breakdown I could not fix on the water.

Worst I have seen on the water (someone else's boat) was a split hull, that would have ended badly if there were not other boats nearby.

Busted trailers are a different story ...
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Breaking down in the boat

Post by theodosius »

Haha some great reads there. I've been up the top of the rookery with my old 2-stroke 55 amd had the starter motor not work. Cowling off and we saw that the pos wire had snapped off it's lug. Holding the wire in contact with a bit of dry wood let it kick back to life. I also once had the carbies gum up 500m from the ski club ramp. I used to use a kayak paddle on the flats those days and I was glad to have it to paddle back to shore!
I've also done a prop bush at Marsh Ck and found that the spare on board didn't fit. It's a long trip at 1000rpm