Lake Theresa fishing

Post by Matt Flynn »

Anyone fish it?

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Lake Theresa

Post by ronje »

Lake Theresa was formed by the daming of the junction of Theresa, Policeman and Iron Hut Cks some 30km southwest of Clermont in Central Qld.

When full it holds 87,000 megalitres and is stocked with barramundi by a very active stocking group under the guidance of local " Pigsy" Wilson.

It has a max depth of 20 feet and extensive weedbeds which provide excellent cover for redclaw. Barrmundi also use the weedbeds extensively due to a lack of timber snags.

The fishstocking group has carried out considerable improvements for access and camping courtesy of a nearby sympathetic coalmine loaning earthmoving equipment.

A caravan park on site caters for visitors.

Lake Theresa suffered from bureaucratic bumbling ( like nearby Lake Maraboon) in respect of the stocked impoundment scheme. Recently the local fQld Fisheries representatives were bypassed and approval for inclusion was organised via the Qld Freshwater Fishstocking Assn.

regards
Ronj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Ronje
SeekingBarradise
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SeekingBarradise »

Hi Ronj thanks for the update.

We met Pigsy up there at Peter Faust dam in 07. He fell off his boat as he was going for a cast. All the boys on board apparantly cracked up and eventually got him out of the water...

He invited us for a bbq when i hardly knew him. He is a character thats for sure. I also saw him on creek to coast i think on 7 last year.

Thanks again for the update.
Cheers Lyndon.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great to be getting info on the Qld dams - I am moving the World Fishing Map over to FFF so all those dams will soon be visible again
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Lake Theresa World Fishing Map link

Post by ronje »

Hi Lyndon

Sorry I missed yr response. Had a few things happening here.

Pigsy a character alright.

I took that Creek to Coast team out to Theresa Ck. 2 days before they arrived at Emerald (I met them and we drove up to Clermont) heavy rain filled the dam and fish went over the wall.

When we arrived Pigsy and his crew were netting the pools under the wall and retuning fish back up into the dam.

Having never seen that before they wanted to get footage and did.

Dean was very excited and didn't stop yapping about it for next couple of days. We all went in the water with the net and got struck by barra zooming all over the place in the restricted pools which were about chest deep.

C-to-C fellas had a ball.

regards
ronj
Regards
Ronje