Dam Locations in CQ.

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Dam Locations in CQ.

Post by ronje »

Hi

Attached is a site locator for the CQ stocked dams from Gladstone to Mackay.

The more well known ones for large barramundi include Awoonga, Kinchant, Teemburra.

The less well known ones but with barra just as large are Callide and Fairbairn (Lake Maraboon).

Fairbairn Dam in particular has very large barra to 1,3 metres along with murray cod to 1.4 metres. Murray cod have been breeding in the dam since 1988 and many would have gone over the wall in floods to establish in the Nogoa/Fitzroy river system.

I'll fill in later with images as I dig them out. Others may like to add better info than what I've got.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards
Ronje
Chasing_@_130
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dam Locations in CQ.

Post by Chasing_@_130 »

Never seen a barra in fairbairn dam myself. Have seen / heard a few in the Nogoa river. Will try and find a photo i've got of one that was nearly a meter that was left to rot on the bank. I couldn't believe it. Don't know what the fishing will be like for a while now with all this rain / water around. It takes ages for the river and dam to clear up enough to fish imo.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi

As attached Fairbairn Dam. I'll pm u with the details of who to talk to in Emerald.

I'm from Rocky. Kept hearing stories about fishos being cleaned up by big murray cod. It didn't sound like cod so we went out there for an afternoon.

They were big barra not far from the dam wall.

Couldn't revive this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Ronje
Shitzngigglz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Shitzngigglz »

Thats a shame about the Big girl !!!!!!. The blokes around Emerald are spoilt rotten the 2 biggest freshwater fish in Australia a fishos dream !!!!!!!!!!
Snapper Jack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Snapper Jack »

Awesome Barra,
barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by barra mick »

so the barra and cod live in the same dam and function together ok ronje ?
you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Sorry mate

Just saw this post.

Yep, the cod breed but the barra dont. Its more famous for introduced redclaw with the nomads.

Its a huge dam. 2nd largest in Qld after the Burdekin.

Awoonga dam will have the largest capacity if they ever complete stage 3.
Regards
Ronje
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

ronje, no mention of Monduran in your post...fishes pretty well but as per the other dams but lost a lot of fish in the recent floods good news for the Kolan River though, probably the source of some of the more southern barra catches also Lenthall dam a bit further south (both of these inpoundments have both barra and bass stocked) but they have pretty hard line rules on engines/emissions and it's policed regularly as well at Lenthalls....oops :roll:
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

G'day

Monduran appears on another thread. Good dam with lots of inlets. Mate of mine crashed a Beaver floatplane there practising take-offs and landings. Good for the Kolan river below the the wall.

Monduran dam was constructed to provide irrigation water for cane farmers in BBerg/Gin Gin area. Water is distributed by open canals so I reckon those canals have barra as well as the river.

Wouldn't waste any time at Lenthalls. Run by the Wide Bay Water Corporation and it has so many restrictions that its not worth bothering about. May as well as put barbed wire electrified fence around it. I've seen a security guard on the gate (which they lock at night) turning away anything with a motor above a certain size.

They're all mad greenie pensioners down there.

Hervey Bay is known as God's waiting room.
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

G'day

Monduran is on another thread. Good little dam. Lots of inlets. Mate of mine crashed a Beaver float plane on it practising take-offs and landings. Ended up better at taking off. Wind shear got him.

Kolan river downstream of wall benefits from barra going over wall. Irrigation water is feed via open canals all around the canefields in the Gin Gin / B'berg area. Reckon those canals have barra too.

Wouldn't waste any time on Lenthalls. Its a pretend dam run by the Wide Bay Water Corp from Hervey Bay.

They're all Hervey Bay greenie pensioners who run it. Have seen a security guard on the gate into Lenthalls turning away anybody with a boat engine about certain HP. Was it 10 or 15 ? Might be less now and no 2 strokes. They're all mad.

Hervey Bay is known as "God's waiting room".
Regards
Ronje
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

I saw an episode of old rexy boy where he was chasing bass in Lake Mcdonald in Cooroy where they have a no internal combustion motor restriction there, strictly leccies or oars....camera pans around while he waffled on and lo and behold there's a nice shiny 15hp yammie bolted on the back of his rig...do as I say not as I do..
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

Lake Proserpine (Peter Faust Dam) is near Mackay ;-)
Cheers

Sy
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hello Sy

Its actually north of Proserpine which is itself a fair way north of Mackay.

U might be thinking about the 3 other dams just inland of Mackay.
Regards
Ronje