Storing your catch on extended trips

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
MattyA
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Storing your catch on extended trips

Post by MattyA »

So the scenario is you are going on a three day trip after barra. On the way back you must pass through waters where you can have three fish each. There are two of you on the boat. The first day you bag out with six lovely chrome barra.

Do you

a) gut and gill the barra, leaving them otherwise whole in the esky to be filleted when you get home
b) fillet them leaving the skin on as required and try to keep them in bags (which invariably fill with bl..dy water from the esky)
c) leave the fish whole (guts and gills in) and fillet when you get home

I've usually gone with option c, but wondering if this is really the best option in the interests of table quality.

Cheers

Matt

fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Storing your catch on extended trips

Post by fishfanatic »

Why not go with option D and that is eat barra fillet, breakfast, lunch and dinner... :mrgreen:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

option c.
get better h/duty double seal bags and seal the bags inside plastic containers inside the esky.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Keep them whole on ice. Dont gut or gill them as it lets oxegen into the flesh which spoils it quicker.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

yeah good point. thats how the barra farms do it for that reason. Just takes up a lot of room in the esky. I suppose you could always drink all the beer to make room :drinking5:
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

So if i understand right, don't bleed them?
shaynes_god
Seadog
Seadog

Post by shaynes_god »

Always cut the neck on your fish. I fillet my fish (leaving the skin on) and keep them in zip lock bags. If we go on extended trips I salt the ice and never keep fish until the last day.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

sorry. I was just agreeing that the barra farms do it that way for that reason. no cuts, no bacteria entry points.

nah, i neck and bleed every fish i keep. fillet and store in a double lock zip lock bag, inside the plastic container and pack ice around that. keeps for days
MattyA
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by MattyA »

Hey Nomad, where do you get these double lock zip lock bags from?

Hey Shaynesgod, yeah I thought about doing that too, but have suffered the old syndrome of catching heaps day one and two then none day three!

Do you blokes reckon the slime from the skin affects the fish flesh for eating or not? I've always taken the skin off but I know we're not supposed to do that anymore.

Matt
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Gills and Guts removed is the best way to keep fish fresh the longest.

Fresh water will cause the most bacteria, thats why ice slurry used alot.

Up here just cut them and keep on ice and drain water regularly.
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

When I was working on pro boats out at the Box we used to chuck-em in the brine to chill em down quick-didnt bleed them as when they hit the cold water the blood goes staight to their organs ,then we soldier packed them on ice in layers- these fish would be on the ice in the boat for up to 10 days then sent down on ice to Sydney,so they could be on ice for up to 2 weeks!!. Personally when fishing for my self I bleed them-all they need is a gill raker cut, there is no need to fully cut their throats. I always fillet at home so I minimize the time the flesh gets exposed to the air- fillets get wrapped in gladwrap and placed in the freezer and spread out if possible so they freeze as quickly as possible.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Agree with Seano, we use a half 20l bucket of seawater, bung em in head first after cutting the gill. Kept on ice they do alright.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Mattya
I think they are called Hercules bags as they are tougher than glad bags. or even the glad freezer ones have double zips on em
just from the supermarket.
Biff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Biff »

seano wrote:When I was working on pro boats out at the Box we used to chuck-em in the brine to chill em down quick-didnt bleed them as when they hit the cold water the blood goes staight to their organs ,then we soldier packed them on ice in layers- these fish would be on the ice in the boat for up to 10 days then sent down on ice to Sydney,so they could be on ice for up to 2 weeks!!. Personally when fishing for my self I bleed them-all they need is a gill raker cut, there is no need to fully cut their throats. I always fillet at home so I minimize the time the flesh gets exposed to the air- fillets get wrapped in gladwrap and placed in the freezer and spread out if possible so they freeze as quickly as possible.
Gday Seano,so you say "Gill cut" sorry if this sounds stupid,so all your doing is cuting the gills to bleed them? How well do they bleed out with this method,as you said no open wounds to start the break down process.
Cheers.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

They bleed out very well Biff- they actually squirt out loads right after you cut them. I some times just punch my thumb through the membrane behind the gills to. If your just going out for the day it doesnt matter if you fully cut their throat ,but for extended trips I would try to minimize any cutting of the flesh. As I mentioned the pro reef boats dont cut their fish at all ,they rely on the cold water in the brine tank to cause all the blood to rush to the organs.