Boat battery

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
steve29
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Boat battery

Post by steve29 »

Whats a good battery to use thats not pricey as i only run 5 inch sounder and a pump if i get a leak and my engine has a rectifier to charge it cheers

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Boat battery

Post by dannett »

Pretty much any small 12 volt car or motor bike battery will meet your spec. A sounder only barely draws 1 amp so a measly 50 amp hour battery will give you 50 hours continuous operation. Check the current draw on the small pump, it's probably a max of 5 amps so again that's 10 hours continuous operation. Up to you if you consider name brand important but neither of the two uses sound like they are critical so maybe a cheapy is adequate.
steve29
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve29 »

Thanks dannett whats a car battery going to be like in a boat. But it will be fine to just run them 2 items
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

you can get a marine pro from battery world for about 170 the thicker plates will serve you better in a boat, is it going to be a starter battery for your motor as well? If not a small sealed agm would be the go for a sounder bilge nav lights set up, heaps smaller and can be fitted anywhere without worrying about getting tipped over
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
pardini
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pardini »

Don't waste your money on a marine battery- N70ZZ $125 Discount Auto Parts - will do the same. 30 month warranty to boot!
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

Warranty is void if a car battery is fitted in a boat, they'd have a hard time proving it though
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
steve29
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve29 »

Cheers guys and itsinmeblood its only a pull start so it only has to do sounder and pump
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

150 odd for n70 size exide marine from coconut grove.
Good quality battery
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

steve29 wrote:Thanks dannett whats a car battery going to be like in a boat. But it will be fine to just run them 2 items
Well that depends who you ask....

In general a marine battery is meant to be manufactured to a higher standard and more robustly to handle wave pounding and towing vibration /shocks. They are also likely to have threaded terminals that make it easy to connect accessories to. That said if neither have a premature fail a marine battery will only last a couple of years just like a normal car battery.

Since your outboard is a pull start you don't necessarily need that "extra" reliability to ensure that you can start the boat and get home. I suspect also your boat is small so weight may be a factor too, I have used a small motorcycle battery (small sealed agm) for just a sounder just fine.

So really the decision should come down to your budget. A small car battery might not last but it will likely be a lot cheaper. If you're going to spend a $100 on it though then a cheap marine battery like Balou's recommendation might be better value. A large marine AGM would be a lot more expensive and unnecessary for your application.

Dan
steve29
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve29 »

Thanks dan i think i might just go a small marine battery to be safe i think thanks for your help and the boat is a 399 proline stacer 06 model
jam13545

Post by jam13545 »

Just bought a 65ah sealed AGM battery to use in my tinny, to run sounder, lights, and stereo. Bought on ebay for $140 delivered to Darwin.
bodge007
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by bodge007 »

For batteries, you can’t go past Exide at Coconut Grove. Great prices and customer service.
Am a repeat customer a few times now.