Nice day on the Derwent

Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Nice day on the Derwent

Post by Finatic2 »

We flew down to the Apple Isle to take the kids to visit they grandparents and a mate of mine suggested that we have a day on the river. Not being too keen on the Antarctic weather being experienced around the place I agreed under protest. Woke on Sat at 6.30 looked at the temp on the weather station in the kitchen Hmmm 5 deg outside, better get another jumper. So looking somewhat like the Michelin man I got picked up and we were off. Launched in the city and headed to Cornelian Bay. First cast at the point near the channel marker and double hook up. 2 juvenile Australian salmon about 30cm long. Joked to my mate that at home I would chuck an 8 O hook in it and throw it back out. Spent the next 3 hrs with the sun shining landing about 40 salmon. Bycatch of 3 very tasty flathead and a small silver trevally. Got home in time for lunch. awesome fun on 2kg gear. Ate the flatties and 1 salmon (had to say that I have at least tried one) for dinner and F-I-Law pickled the other 4 Salmon that we kept. Will be nice to be home again next week for some build up fishing.

Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Nice day on the Derwent

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice to hear a report from down that way, how does he pickle the salmon - same as NT numas?

5C isn't as bad as it sounds, you kinda get used to it :lol:
Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Finatic2 »

yep pretty much the same but uses a hot solution of vinegar off the stove
Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Oh how I miss those chilly mornings when you need to shovel the snow out of the boat before fishing and have to wear 7mm waders in the boat to keep warm.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Fill the metal seats with fresh cow dung and the boat will stay warm(ish) :lol:

I've been getting around in a t-shirt, but the weather sures changes fast. The occasional blast feels like it is straight from Antarctica.

Still haven't fished. Soon.

A hot pickling solution eh? That's something I haven't tried.