Support NT caught

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Support NT caught

Post by Matt Flynn »

http://www.supportntcaught.com.au/

I also read this from the NT Seafood Council ...

Australian frozen fish prices stink
If you ever needed convincing to buy local, some recent research by Choice may just sway you that way with their recent findings that shoppers pay up to 35 percent more for frozen packaged fish compared to the fresh product found in the deli.
The group reviewed 101 frozen fish products and found that many frozen fish products are as much batter, crumbs and other coating ingredients as they are fish. Consumers should be encouraged to check the labels for exactly how much fish they are getting when they buy pre-prepared fish products.
Choice says that while frozen fish products offer convenience, unit pricing shows they can be a lot more expensive than fresh fish. For example, shoppers paid $10.99 for a 250g pack of Woolworths select lemon and dill salmon fillet (or $43.96 per kg). By comparison, fresh boned and skinned Tasmanian Atlantic salmon fillets from the same supermarket’s deli cost $28.99 per kg.

So, if the fish aren't biting, and you have to buy some ...

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Support NT caught

Post by AM »

NT Seafood Council....Atlantic
Salmon....mmm great example on
supporting ntlocal caught,genius.At least
the Tasmanian sun isnt as hot if they get left out
in it iguess!!!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Matt Flynn wrote:fresh boned and skinned Tasmanian Atlantic salmon fillets from the same supermarket’s deli cost $28.99 per kg.
Or you could go and catch your own down there.
boat $40k
Gear $10k
Fuel/maintenance $5k :rofl:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Not for me Nomad, 10-minute walk, fall on my arse a couple of times climbing down the river bank, only a small price to pay ...

Mind you I have to do that about a dozen times for each Atlantic salmon, and they just don't taste as good as that smoked packet stuff :lol:

Yes AM, the salmon is an odd choice for an NT example :?
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Wait until there is an escape from the pens. Hundreds of the big buggers continue to swim in circles for days. Catch them on pellet shaped fly. Lots of fun
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Catch them on a pellet shaped fly
I'll take my chances with a traditional pattern, the pellet fly concept kinda creeps me out.

Sea trout sometimes run here as early as July, hopefully a post soon.
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Still wouldn't put me off fishfingers, even if they are only 2/3 fish - don't eat them very often, but there is something about them that reminds you about being a kid again (memories of long ago...). :)

In terms of supporting local, are there any of your standard fish and chip shops that actually sell local fish (excepting for salmon)? Love going in and seeing the barra is some imported bit of fish that looks like it could have been filleted off a skinny bream. And what does a Basa look like? :x
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Basa looks like Powertail! Have to admit before I knew that I used to eat it from the fish and chip shops in Queensland and it actually tastes good, but when I found out I stopped eating it because it's farmed freshwater fish from Asia.