FFF Seadogs 2012 - Round 4 - Mack Attack

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Posting this up early - mackerel are the Seadogs species for June. Post your entries from June 1.

Large brag mats are at The Tackle Box, Palmerston.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: FFF Seadogs 2012 - Round 4 - Mack Attack

Post by Matt Flynn »

Name your favourites for this mackie round if you like, I'm guessing CuddlesCooper or balou
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I have a home made special lure secret weapon :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Better get out there and hav a go!,

Don't have to go that far to get a good sized Mack!!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

The FFF 2012 Seadogs Mackerel Round starts tomorrow, for the month - here's a few tips for newbies ...

*Get up early, mackies are best just before sun-up, and late arvo. If fishing during the day, fish deep.
*Troll as fast as the lures go, or use livebait. Reef fish such as flag or small trevs (spuds) work well as livebait.
*Garfish are all around Darwin, use berley and a small hook or cast net to catch 'em behind the boat.
*Big macks come in close. East Point and Lee Point are excellent spots - also the Six Mile Buoy, Angler Reef, Mandorah, Larrakeyah. The near-shore reef at Lee Point is one of the best.
*Since you have to troll fast, buy lures that handle it - Halco Scorpions, Reidys Judge etc. Blue and white/silver stripe works well, or red head and white body.
*Watch out for the teeth - don't let a mack wriggle off the gaff onto your foot. If you do - post the pix!
*You'll need wire trace, although heavy mono can work with lures as the fish usually bite the hooks, but it is risky.
*Following the bird schools is not so good with big mackies. There are usually too many small mackies and tuna in the way!
*Clear-water tides are usually best, eg coming off neaps.
*Bleed 'em fast. Put cutlets on the bbq with olive oil and lemon pepper - first rate tucker, ignore the mack critics! Cutting the cutlets can be a pain - I am told freezing the trunks and using a bandsaw works, but I have never tried it. Deep fried fresh mack nuggets are also good.
Est_1982
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Est_1982 »

Matt Flynn wrote:The FFF 2012 Seadogs Mackerel Round starts tomorrow, for the month - here's a few tips for newbies ...

*Get up early, mackies are best just before sun-up, and late arvo. If fishing during the day, fish deep.
*Troll as fast as the lures go, or use livebait. Reef fish such as flag or small trevs (spuds) work well as livebait.
*Garfish are all around Darwin, use berley and a small hook or cast net to catch 'em behind the boat.
*Big macks come in close. East Point and Lee Point are excellent spots - also the Six Mile Buoy, Angler Reef, Mandorah, Larrakeyah. The near-shore reef at Lee Point is one of the best.
*Since you have to troll fast, buy lures that handle it - Halco Scorpions, Reidys Judge etc. Blue and white/silver stripe works well, or red head and white body.
*Watch out for the teeth - don't let a mack wriggle off the gaff onto your foot. If you do - post the pix!
*You'll need wire trace, although heavy mono can work with lures as the fish usually bite the hooks, but it is risky.
*Following the bird schools is not so good with big mackies. There are usually too many small mackies and tuna in the way!
*Clear-water tides are usually best, eg coming off neaps.
*Bleed 'em fast. Put cutlets on the bbq with olive oil and lemon pepper - first rate tucker, ignore the mack critics! Cutting the cutlets can be a pain - I am told freezing the trunks and using a bandsaw works, but I have never tried it. Deep fried fresh mack nuggets are also good.
Great stuff!
polcat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by polcat »

Matt,

Will the measuring be counted if we dont have a large Brag Mat and use one of those sewing tapes???
MAY THE FISH BE WITH YOU !!

CHEERS,

POLCAT
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

As long as I can make out the numbers, and the tape is straight and not too crumpled, it should be OK. The Tackle Box has the big measuring mats though :mrgreen:
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

So has anyone been out chasing them yet? Bit hard with this wind!!! :banghead: Thinking about having a go this weekend if that low moves into the bight. Although I think the water clarity will be sh!t coming off springs and 30 knots of breeze. :evil: Dont they look at the tides when they schedule long weeke :bonk: nds? Sheez :bs:
polcat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by polcat »

Lost a thumper off talc head on the weekend!! :banghead:
Oh well that's fishin
MAY THE FISH BE WITH YOU !!

CHEERS,

POLCAT
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

polcat wrote:Lost a thumper off talc head on the weekend!! :banghead:
Oh well that's fishin
Bad luck mate. Good to know they are around. I'll get him for ya! :lolpoint:
Bowser
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bowser »

just to get some pics going, not in the comp but got this on sunday
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Not that I am in the competition either, but this is as close to a big mac as I am likely to get ..........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Trier on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Nice mack Bowser ,,,,glad your not in,,,less compition :D ,,but why not join its free :catch:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yeh, here's my big mack ...

I reckon Agent86 will be good chance for this round.

I have seen the wind observations. Plus big tides ... hopefully it might start happening next week.