zillion type r or shimano calais???

Skrewk
Gold Member
Gold Member

zillion type r or shimano calais???

Post by Skrewk »

i think the title says it all, what do yas reckon? gona be paired with either a gl2 or carrot stix gold

doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: zillion type r or shimano calais???

Post by doors off »

G'day Skrewk,

I will declare my position first. I have two Zillion Type R's and bl..dy love them. I have no shares in Daiwa or any affiliated company. Anyway, BarraJames on the forum has both the Shimano Calais and a Zillion Type R, I fish with him a lot and he has not used the Calais since he bought the Type R. Maybe PM him for what he thinks.

Either of those rods will be damn nice with either of those reels. May you catch many big barra on the new rig, whatever you decide on.

Cheers,

Doors Off
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
Deigs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Deigs »

have never used the calais but have a zillion type r and wouldn't trade it in for the world love it have mine on a sabre grafast.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Id go the Calais hands down.
hingsy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hingsy »

Daiwa all the way and stick with the gl2, I have 4 of them and they are hard to beat.
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BenH »

I have a Zillion on a GL2, great set up.
Only criticism I have was the drag on my Zillion, upgraded it and couldn't be happier.
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

Both of those reels cast well.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
Skrewk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skrewk »

thanx guys, think ill go the zillion, ill probably get both that carrot and the gl2, if you can get two or three guys to share the shipping you can pick them up for a steal from the states atm(carrot stix that is)
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nagz »

Got a zillion type r on the way. Not the fast one, got 6.3. Sitting on a loomis dsr822c i think it is. Should be alright. Is a 6-12lb rod alright for nt barra?
When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:
A) n+1 (where n is the number if rods you currently have); or

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)
rusty
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by rusty »

6-12lb. . .woo hoo! that'll be fun.....tippin it will be spending a most of it's life bent over. My barra stick is a gl3 12-20lb with a calais and i'm a fan.. couldn't knock the zillion though...nor any of daiwa's top of the range stuff.
Ibbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ibbsy »

Got myself a Zillion coastal about 6 months ago seemed good at the start all I can say now is im going back to shimano. Very Dissapointed. :evil: . I am pretty hard on my reels treated this zillion like gold compared to my other reels even got washed. The cast button played up the other day pulled it aprt to find it full of corrosion and the gears starting to pit. This one hasn't even been for a swim unlike the curados. So if anyone is like me and don't treat there reels well stick to shimano they seem to last longer.
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

have a calais purchased in 2001.
still works just fine.

have used many a brands over the years and only use shimano now.
curado or cronarch are also top reels from shimano.
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

Ibbys, sorry to hear about your Zillion coastal. Bit of a bugger. I have had two DAiwa Saltist HRF's for 3 years, both fished a lot and had my first drama with it the other week. Casting button stuck, but a really quick turn around by Daiwa through the Tacklebox and no dramas.

I also have two Type R Zillions and have had them for a couple of years now and they are bl..dy fantastic. One of mine went for a very deep swim in the harbour and I gave it a rinse, pulled it apart gave it a clean and regrease and she is going great guns.

Not too sure what the material is in the Coastal, but sounds like a bit of a bugger. Send it back to Daiwa and get them to fix it for you, should be pretty easy.

Cheers,

Doors Off
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

Calais are freshwater reels, fine if you want to rinse it for 40 mins after every fish. Top class reels though. Go the Daiwa or get a Core
texas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by texas »

Had a zillion on a IMX for a few years. Cast all day! Great for slow retrieve and can handle big fish. Zillion for me