land based gear advice

Broast

land based gear advice

Post by Broast »

Gday guys , first time posting. Im from adelaide and we do an annual trip to the vic river every year, but this year we are going to spend 4 days of it up at dundee beach. We'll have a boat but im also keen on some land based action there aswell. My question is what type of rod will i need to chase say queenies salmon trevs etc? Any advice on length and weight would be appreciated.
Cheers

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: land based gear advice

Post by jabsy »

I'd say something you are comfortable with casting, whether that be an overhead or an eggbeater... I have a 10' 4120 and a 11' 5120 I used to cast off the beaches all the time, with an abu 6500 and 7000. They'd handle any queenie or barra from that beach. last time I went there I was casting a T-Curve mack Spin with a 6000 eggbeater. These are all 1 piece rods which wont be any good if you are flying up...

I travel remote with work a bit and used one of those 3 piece shimano raiders off the beach at maningrida last tuesday morning, paired it up with an old curado and threw lures around for a couple of hours. It was easy to fly with as hand luggage.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Shimano threadline 4000 size and 7 foot rod and 30 pound braid will cast any lure or bait and handle any fish you are likely to encounter.
joesgotone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by joesgotone »

I would suggest using the longest rod you can bring to get the distance you might need. There is no real deep water in close so distance can help alot. Then again a outfit that can cast very well helps. Using a lighter braid can also get you more distance but then you have to get the fish back. With teh extra line capacity you may stop a solid run but the rocks are always a big problem.

I love my 15ft 3 piece beach rods, Takedo X-power pro logic from ebay.

Shorter rods are good for chasing Barra so you can work the lures
how many is enough lures, rods and reels. Is there a magic number, considering you usually only catch 1 fish on a single lure on the one rod and reel your casting with.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

No need for beach rods, longest you need is 7ft amd use thin 20lb braid if you want to cast further
Wuhc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wuhc »

Id have to agree with seano on the 7ft rod. I run a tasline PE1 -0.16dia setup that averages about 23lb that cast a mile. Youd also want something lightweight to cast all day also allows you to use small poppers and stickbaits effectively. On a budget id go a terez or even a two piece revolution.