First time FG knot

hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

First time FG knot

Post by hobbsy »

I know how quick fishing crazes move in this world, I’am extremely slow to adopt most of these. The tide has turned on this occasion.

Since the 80s I have been fishing with a wire trace and clip for Barra. I have just recently decided to try using nylon leader but still attached to a metal clip with the swivel ball, this is because I like to use a tackle back lure retriever & ease of lure change

Here are my first attempt at the FG knot

Insanity is a good place to hide from reality!

It is not how long the fish is but how long you have fished & how long you've wished.......
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Re: First time FG knot

Post by hobbsy »

Here are the pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It is not how long the fish is but how long you have fished & how long you've wished.......
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Looks like you should put a feather and a treble on it :D

I never used the FG so can't comment, I stuck with the Albright, which was not reliable if poorly tied, the FG may well be a better choice.
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbsy »

yeah, have a couple of knots in my arsenal, none to do with braid to leader.

the research I found said that the FG was one of the strongest but can easily be poorly tied, we'll see how I've faired when I get out next.

Rawz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rawz »

I've found this way the best for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPTzkep9xlI

From my short experience with the knot there is one important thing, you need to get the wraps to bite into the leader from the bottom to the top otherwise it will slowly loosen. Also dont get carried away with the amount of wraps. I started doing 30 wraps but had issues with it letting go, 16 wraps like in the video work for me (20lb braid to 50lb fluro). Anymore wraps than that and I cant get it to bite along the whole length without snapping the braid.

The Albright knot gives me issues with it catching on the guides when casting so gave up on it.

I've only come back to fishing in the last year after a break of 20+ years so its all new to me. I was taught the wire trace rig as well. I still use clips but I am weening myself off them, i'm scared I might hook a big one and the clip fails. I take a couple of rods these days with different lure options = quickest way to change lures.
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbsy »

that's the vid I watched.

I did 18turns to start with.

trent
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by trent »

FG is the go, 14 turns seems to be enough, have a look at the rizuto finish instead of 1/2 hitches, different brands and hardness of leader material will make vast differences in the ability of the braid to bight into the leader, the biggest trick is when tightning the knot, if not done properly ( pulled F tight ) it will slip

Pays to tie a few and test them tied to the fence, once you find what works for you stick to it. Youd be surprised what breaks before the knot sometimes and no reel is ever going to apply that amount of drag!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

I use 1 with 7 wraps of doubled braid mainline. Not an FG. Easy to tie. Haven't had one let go yet.

I resorted to this one after I gave up trying to properly tie an FG with all its sequential twists and actions.

I put it up on here some time ago
Regards
Ronje