Crimping mono leaders

joe777
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Crimping mono leaders

Post by joe777 »

A mate of mine crimps a split ring onto the end of his leaders, therefore doesn't need to cut his leader each time he changes a lure. Just wondering if anyone else does this and any pro's/con's to doin so. Cheers Joe

mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Crimping mono leaders

Post by mako »

Split rings will not 'open up' as some snap clips are prone to do, also good for when jigging for fish that strike hard, just have to carry a good pair of split ring pliers. :mrgreen:
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Use Halco coastlock snap..never had one fail yet, even on big lemons, ballbearing style.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nagz »

i have been wondering the same thing for a while, especially with leaders upwards of 40-45lb

i was thinking a wind on leader attached via bimini and loop to loop with a split ring crimped on would last ages and more than likely, be stronger than most knots.
less knots in the equatiion can't be a bad thing, and i would trust a crimp more than a clip :)
dunno why this isn't a widely used rig?
When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:
A) n+1 (where n is the number if rods you currently have); or

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

May be the way to go when fishing(for barra) is slow, allows you to cycle through lures to find what's working a bit quicker, the when they are ON the chew though the chafed section would usually need to be changed out to often to be bothered crimping. IMO
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

good idea, but i think you're right ken_dog

Only need one good Barra and have to cut a bit off anyway! or may not get the next one!!!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Bazza Silver
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bazza Silver »

Ol Fart, I'm keen to get into a bit of sharkin' with Camfish this weekend, looking to target big lemons, are you able to share some marks? No rat lemon marks mate I only chase the big boys.
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

Halco weldloc wire with a swivel and a coastlock clip tied to mono main line is all I've every used the coast lock clip makes changing lures easy .
Of course I never use braid.

Kev.
I'm not young enough to know every thing .
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

For barra fishing I only tie my lures on using a loop knot. I have tried clips but my strike rate seemed to drop when the fish were touchy. I am not sure but the clip seemed to make the lure swim on its side more.
predetec
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by predetec »

Can the real Bazza Silver please stand up ...
joe777
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by joe777 »

Thanks for the replies, Some great points raised. I like the idea of crimping the leaders because I'm not the best at tying braid to mono knots so the less I have to do it the better. Although as they say practise makes perfect.