abu revo mgx

davent

abu revo mgx

Post by davent »

Right I, who,s got one, and what do you think?

seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: abu revo mgx

Post by seano »

Magnesium frame, no good dot the salt
davent

Post by davent »

Have you got one, or just assuming that it will corode cause of the frame?
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

I haven't got one but researched them cos I wanted one but decided against it because of the magnesium frame.
davent

Post by davent »

I just got one, extremly light,will just use it in the fresh. I have about 10 other baitcasters so ill see how it goes. Cheers for the feedback.
There are plenty of magnesium frame reels out there,shimano core is another one.
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

They are marketed in the states as a "finesse" reel, bass not barra
steve37
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve37 »

this was my next palnned purchase... what would you recommend? i currently have a abu garcia orra reel..
davent

Post by davent »

ken_dog wrote:They are marketed in the states as a "finesse" reel, bass not barra
Forgive the sarcasm, but do you think that shimano curado,s are marketed in the states as bass or Barra reels?
Come on the Aussie Barr a market is a drop in the ocean as far as fishing tackle goes.

Keep in mind that the Florida fly fishing club has over 1 million paid up members. that's one fishing club in the US.
Loki
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Loki »

Maybe that should be "Finniss Reels" :naughty:
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

davent wrote:
ken_dog wrote:They are marketed in the states as a "finesse" reel, bass not barra
Forgive the sarcasm, but do you think that shimano curado,s are marketed in the states as bass or Barra reels?
Come on the Aussie Barr a market is a drop in the ocean as far as fishing tackle goes.

Keep in mind that the Florida fly fishing club has over 1 million paid up members. that's one fishing club in the US.
Your forgiven, "bass not barra" was my opinion not that of shimano or Abu.
Curados are not marketed as or intended for use as a finesse reel as the revo MGX is said to be, so I'm not sure what reference you are making.
davent

Post by davent »

Gday Ken. Just having a laugh, nothing to serious. I reckon nearly all baitcasters are Bass reels, and Barr a are a bass. In Indo, Barr a are called kakup puhti, white bass etc.
I just like the MGX cause I'm weak, and they are light!
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

on an american tackle website i subscribe to, when reviewing reels they test them on generic target species(on bass, musky, stripers)
but they also "Amazon test" them, throwing big crank baits for peacock bass and similar species on the Amazon, which is a much closer test of the sort of stress's a reel will incur whilst barra fishing(biggish fish, big lures, thousands of casts and maxed-out drags(fishing snags)), the only thing missing is the salt and trolling factors.
The Revo MGX had dramas on the amazon test.
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

Lots of reels are intended for fresh only. I think the curado was originally advertised as a fresh water reel. There are heaps of them out there being used in salt water.
They will all only last as long as you look after them.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nagz »

just rinse it more often, dry it, lube it, love it.

go all out and get a steez baitcaster, that'll put a smile on your dial :)
When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:
A) n+1 (where n is the number if rods you currently have); or

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)