Reels spinning around on rods

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Reels spinning around on rods

Post by mickkk »

G'day all
I have a few rods where the reel can twist around on the rods. They are not fancy rods, so don't want to spend too much on them. But still nothing wrong with them and I'm trying to work out how they fix this in the shops to give it a go my self.
Was thinking of drilling a few tiny holes and injecting a bit of araldite in a few spots.
But thought I would check with the brains truct here, to see if there's a better way.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Reels spinning around on rods

Post by Matt Flynn »

One or two holes should be enough, use a syringe from the pharmacy and then tape over the hole, use slow set Araldite, not 5-minute.

Only problem is if they used tape under the seat as a spacer and the whole lot is spinning, not sure if they do this with commercial rods but can be a problem on home built rods.
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

I had this issue with two rods, both had tape beneath the seat. I cut a thin strip approx 3mm wide and about 40mm long out of the reel seat front and back down to the blank and filled with araldite, rock solid now and after setting doesn't look too crappy.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Just bang a 3” nail in so about 1” pokes out both sides. Clinch both ends over (lengthways along the rod of course, you don’t want a bodgey job). Wrap some duct tape over to protect fingers.
You’re welcome. Here to help
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Silly method, perfectly good nail could be bent into a nice hook
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

btw back in my rodmaking days I used to use a thick thread wound up to height under the reel seat and then cover it in slow Araldite, no way the seat was ever going to move ... not on those Adelaide bream anyway :)