gear for fishing boat load out jetty

megmat
Silver Member
Silver Member

gear for fishing boat load out jetty

Post by megmat »

Groote has a great area to fish at the boat load out jetty. It has great structure and some big fish. I don't want to use my really good gear down there as it will all get scratched up on the rocks. I am looking to get a couple of rods and reels to fish this area. I have been thinking the penn reels are always pretty well priced and strong. The rods need to be pretty good but again i dont want to spend a fortune I plan to use 50lb braid on the reels so the rod and reel will need to handle that sort of line.
Saw a live bait get taken yesterday by something big. You really need to be on your game to get these fish before they get the structure.
Thoughts anyone.
Cheers Matt

olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: gear for fishing boat load out jetty

Post by olfart »

My wharf,rockwall go to is a 7' Ugly stik 'predator' 6-9.5kg mated with an Okuma Travertine TRB 80 'Baitfeeder' loaded with 260m of 30lb Fins.
The longer rod really gets it out there when you want to fling slugs at pelagics and, the baitfeed setup is a bonus for livebaiting.
The only mod to the reel was fitting carbontex drags, tho' the factory ones weren't too shabby, stopped a few horses off the wharf on them.
If you like to really lean on a fish, then the Ugly is the duck's nuts, I'm yet to break one despite the flinches from my fellow fisho's as I put some hurt on a big pelagic.
Good luck with whatever you decide. :mrgreen:

BTW, the whole oufit was a tad over $200 some 3yrs ago.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I used to use Penn but had too many failures
Have a search here to see whats on the market.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Still got one Mark, One of the first with the s/steel spool as an option.
Still looks and works like new.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Penn 950ssm. Are pretty hard to kill. Chased plenty of bronzies to 9and 10 foot in hervey bay. They are suckers for punishment haha