Whats the best Beer Batter

Show off your best recipes or grab one here and impress your partner.
andrew.south
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Whats the best Beer Batter

Post by andrew.south »

Whats your best Beer Batter recipe.... :chef1: :chef1:

Was recently involved in a hotly debated discussion of which is the best beer batter recipie.... :drinking2: :drinking3: :coffee:

First one was...Plain flour, Melbourne Bitter, with a dash of baking powder, all mixed to the right consistency and then left to settle in the fridge for 1 hour.

Secon one was...Self raising flour, Coopers pale ale and a pinch of tumeric and then season the flour that you coat the fish in before you dip it in the batter with salt and pepper

Third one was..Self raising flour, best quality soda water you can buy and a pinch of baking powder

Have tried the first 2 so far and reckon its pretty close.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Whats your opinion...??? or do you have another recipie that leaves these for dead.... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Southy

Very rarely when the ship misses the harbour is it the harbours fault
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

best quality soda water you can buy
Bit suss on the soda water advice :lol:

I only crumb fish.

A light tempura-style batter is the only one I'll eat. Haven't made it for yonks.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Always season the flour you coat the fish in, salt, pepper, maybe lemon pepper or whatever takes your fancy.

I have always used just self raising flour and beer, but have recently been converted to 'cheating' with (I think its called) 'mrs mccormacs' batter mix' (and :drinking1: ). I used to think 'I don't need no packet mix' until I tried it. Its the best I've had and retains its crispiness for longer if your cooking a big batch (aren't we always!) and have to keep some in the oven. You can get it from coles and maybe woolies. Give it a go. :mrgreen:

P.S: Please don't waste our time with stories about egg yoke or whites etc :fu: :rofl: Simple is best! :grin:
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)

and then you nod your head like your saying YES to every beat...
(Homer J Simpson on listening to rock music)
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

Jeez that pic of the finished product KK makes me want to fast forward to 7pm....will be on the menu tonight!
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

I'm with Matt here crumbs over batter,
Not a packet person myself but Tandaco light fish seasoning mixed with a liberal dose of lemon pepper, Can't beat it IMHO!!! Light and zesty still taste the fish. Make a 321 seafood sauce, 3 spoons ( whatever size) of light mayo, 2 spoons of tomato sauce ( or 1 tommy 1 sweet chili or whatever you fancy) and 1 spoon of Worcestershire. Mix up and refigerate, grab a beer whilst fridge open and crank up the BBQ either shallow fry or chuck in the wok and deep fry. Vege or olive oil either fine. If your real keen chuck some fresh lemon or lime juice in the sauce.
Cheers Muntzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

I just cooked up Luderick,which is sh!t generally.

However deep fried in my batter,exquisite!

Plain Flour
Brown Vinegar
Beer
Cajun
Oregano
Baking soda

I could have eaten 3rds if there was enough!
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Hi Jonesy, I think Black-fish are great on the chew. There are a few things you need to do in preparation. Fish should be bled on capture. When your cleaning the fish, cut out the whole stomach cavity, otherwise might have an iodine flavour (in cuting out the stomach cavity you are removing the black stomach lining, which is where the iodine taste comes from)

Then fillet or cook whole. :chef2: :chef2:
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

G'day Drifter.
I've never actually caught them, but the old man go's up to South West rocks for a month each year and gets a heap. I've only had them a few times before that and thought they were pretty average, but last night,thumbs up
flicker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by flicker »

self raising flour and water, simple as that.
you don't know if you don't give it a go
happy slave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by happy slave »

Hey everyone here are two ways i like to prepare my fish fillets

Dust them in a mixture of cornflour and Cajun Seasoning and shallow fry,
Or
once again dust your fillets in cornflour and pre heat your oven to 180 degrees , grab half a tub of butter, salt and pepper and cajun seasoning, or i like to use a pinch of curry powder every now and again. Melt the butter and the rest of the ingredients in a pan, once this is done get a baking dish pour the butter sauce over the fillets and whack in the oven for about 15-20mins depending on the size of the fillets, this is heart attack material but so bl..dy lovely tasting
I Find Your Lack Of Fishing Disturbing
MOUSE
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Whats the best Beer Batter

Post by MOUSE »

Self raising flour, seasoned with salt, lemon pepper, & chilli flakes
Half & half VB & soda water (soda water helps make it very light)
Dust fillets or fish pieces in above mentioned flour first, then dip in batter mix, awesome 8) :mrgreen:
Boars, Barra, Bundy & Bare Arsed
Adventure Before Dementia
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Dust with flour- I use self raising , then beat an egg in the flour (self raising) then add COLD beer . Don't over mix it as the beer will go flat, don't worry about the lumps-doesn't matter. That's it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Try it with Tooheys Old or Guiness, different but stil very nice!
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Buy a 10pk of Jacks from thirsty camel and geta twin pak of "easy beer batter",,,,weird promo,,,Kiwi product
let you know when I refill the freezer