Magpie goose recipes

Show off your best recipes or grab one here and impress your partner.
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Magpie goose recipes

Post by AJay »

G'day fellas, thought I'd chuck up a thread so people can share how they cook the geese they shoot.

I wanted to try something different this season so I bought an electric mincer, I've been mincing the breasts and boning out the thighs and doing them too. You get quite a bit of mince out of a couple of birds which is good. So far I've just made rissoles and burger patties and they've come up great.

Heres the mix I've been using so far;

Approx 750 grams mince
1 egg
1.5 finely crushed weetbix
half a large onion diced as fine as you can
1-1.5tbsp of garlic paste to taste
1-2tsp of Chilli flakes to taste
1tsp of salt

Mix it all through really well and roll it into rissoles, make burger patties or anything else you can think of and fry her up. Finger lickin' Good

I've been chucking the patties on a works burger with onion, cheese, egg, lettuce, beetroot, pineapple and hot tomato chutney.

Next on the agenda is making tacos and spaghetti Bolognese.

Cheers, Jeff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maaaario10
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Magpie goose recipes

Post by maaaario10 »

Great idea mincing the meat! Looks great. :applause:

Personal favourite of mine is plucking the goose, and slow cooking it over some coals on the BBQ.Simply using salt and pepper as seasoning. You have to be patient and cook it for a while but it comes out with crunchy skin and very tasty meat! :chef2:

Just need the chance to get out there and shoot some now.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Try goose and pork sausages ajay the pork had the fat in it so the mince doesn't dry out could do it in ya rissoles to ..
I've done stir frays with it too comes up good
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Slice the silverskin off the topside of your goose breast(much like skinning a fish fillet
Cut across the grain of the breast in 10-12 mm slices ( you will notice half the breasts grain runs one way and the other half the other way
Place meat into a ziplock bag
Mix half to threequarters of a teaspoon of bi-carb soda into one third of a cup of water and then mix that through whatever marinade you choose to use and put the mix into the ziplock bag with the breast meat
Squeeze all of the air out of the bag and zip it shut
You can now manipulate the marinade through the meat easily
Leave in the fridge for at least 6 hours and a few days if you wish
Stir fry and serve with stir fried vege's or rice
Will be the best goose you have eaten in a while ,nice and moist and tender( do not overcook game meat
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

AJay wrote:G'day fellas, thought I'd chuck up a thread so people can share how they cook the geese they shoot.

I wanted to try something different this season so I bought an electric mincer, I've been mincing the breasts and boning out the thighs and doing them too. You get quite a bit of mince out of a couple of birds which is good. So far I've just made rissoles and burger patties and they've come up great.

Heres the mix I've been using so far;

Approx 750 grams mince
1 egg
1.5 finely crushed weetbix
half a large onion diced as fine as you can
1-1.5tbsp of garlic paste to taste
1-2tsp of Chilli flakes to taste
1tsp of salt

Mix it all through really well and roll it into rissoles, make burger patties or anything else you can think of and fry her up. Finger lickin' Good

I've been chucking the patties on a works burger with onion, cheese, egg, lettuce, beetroot, pineapple and hot tomato chutney.

Next on the agenda is making tacos and spaghetti Bolognese.

Cheers, Jeff.
The best Italian dishes I have had have been made with goose mince
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

maaaario10 wrote:Great idea mincing the meat! Looks great. :applause:

Personal favourite of mine is plucking the goose, and slow cooking it over some coals on the BBQ.Simply using salt and pepper as seasoning. You have to be patient and cook it for a while but it comes out with crunchy skin and very tasty meat! :chef2:

Just need the chance to get out there and shoot some now.
That's a good idea, just need someone to pluck them for me now because I'm slow as haha. I finally got around to plucking one of my ducks last season, coated it inside and out in apricot jam to stop it drying out and chucked him in the oven, that came out real good.
DOUG wrote:Try goose and pork sausages ajay the pork had the fat in it so the mince doesn't dry out could do it in ya rissoles to ..
I've done stir frays with it too comes up good
Cheers Doug. I reckon I'll be trying that when I decide on what recipe to use for the sausages. You reckon go pork fat and meat or just cut the fat off a few chops and use that?
shaggs wrote:Slice the silverskin off the topside of your goose breast(much like skinning a fish fillet
Cut across the grain of the breast in 10-12 mm slices ( you will notice half the breasts grain runs one way and the other half the other way
Place meat into a ziplock bag
Mix half to threequarters of a teaspoon of bi-carb soda into one third of a cup of water and then mix that through whatever marinade you choose to use and put the mix into the ziplock bag with the breast meat
Squeeze all of the air out of the bag and zip it shut
You can now manipulate the marinade through the meat easily
Leave in the fridge for at least 6 hours and a few days if you wish
Stir fry and serve with stir fried vege's or rice
Will be the best goose you have eaten in a while ,nice and moist and tender( do not overcook game meat
That's a good idea with the bi-carb soda shaggs, I haven't heard of that before, I'll be using that next time I make up a batch of goose skewers.

on the topic of skewers, I normally marinade the goose in a mixture of approx. 50% bbq sauce, 25% Worcestershire sauce, 20% honey and the remainder with a bit of soy sauce or chilli paste, whichever takes your fancy
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

I slice it thin. Give it a bash. Seasoned flour. Ege. Breadcrumbs. Pan fry till golden. Cook in butter for even more deliciousness haha
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Just done a goose curry in the slow cooker
With mossaman curry paste 2 tins of coconut milk
And a few veggies
Chucked it on at 6 this morning before work on high and turn it down to keep warm now I'm home till dinner and meats already falling off the leg bones ;)
Will chxuk a pic up later of the marine I use for satays making a brew up tommorow !
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Goose 5 nights a week for us here this time of the year
Plenty of recipe's
I think I've posted some on this site before
Sounds like a top curry Doug
Be nice on a bed of rice
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

I like to cube the goose chunky then marinate in soy sauce and lemon juice over nite - then drain off marinate and cover the Goose in peanut butter. Fry on a super hot BBQ grill - making sure they are only medium rare.

Also goose yiros or tacos are super!

Jon
spazzard
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by spazzard »

try a south east asian flavour curry with some lemon grass!
googz
Seadog
Seadog

Post by googz »

this thread is making me hungry
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

Aj. Where did u get the mincer?
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

COOPS wrote:Aj. Where did u get the mincer?
That whitegoods store next to bcf mate. About 130-160 bucks i think
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

tex guns sells some good jerky bases. ive made a couple of batches now. brilliant. i soak them in a mix of soy and vinager for 15 minutes before putting the spice mix on em. gives a salty tangy taste.