Jerky????

Show off your best recipes or grab one here and impress your partner.
pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Jerky????

Post by pagey »

how does you make your jerky? i use run of the mill corned silverside and slice it finely then whack it into my food dehydrater(spell)
some times i get adventurous and marinade the meat prior to drying. (garlic, sauces, herbs and the like)Would like to hear any other ways that people have to create the altimate jerky. i also have a recipe for biltong that i am keen to give a go through the dehydrater instead of the traditional air drying? please feel free to comment or add your opinoins! :mrgreen: I have also made jerky for buffalo whislt i was still in the territory but they are a bit thin on the ground over here in wind swept thusday island :banghead:

Pagey

a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
landlocked
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by landlocked »

keen to have ago at making jerky meself how would i go using a normal oven on very low heat. cheers
From the heart of the channel country.
To be old and wise, one has to have been young and stupid !!!
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

it is very easy to make you just need to follow these few steps.

1. Get 2kg of lean topside and slice it very thin 5mm max, and remove any fat.
2. make up your marinade and let it sit in the fridge for 4-8hrs
3. place in the drier on high for 12hrs
4. let it cool and put it into a ziplock bag.

The marinade I make is as follows

1. 1 x bottle of holbrook wilstishere s
2. 1/2 bottle of soy s
3. 1 x table spoon of minced garlic
4. salt and pepper to tast
5. about 11/2 cup of sweet chilli s
6. a bit of season all pepper

Just remember it's very morish and 2kg of topside will only make about 800grams of jerky

I make it all the time...oove the stuff.
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

trust me and follow the above recipe :mrgreen: :mrgreen: yummo :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:cheers: harmsey
A_Nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by A_Nomad »

Love the old jerky and have always wanted to make my own, only because i spend that much on the stuff from the shops, where do you get the dehydrators from, whats a reasonable price for one??? That recipe 2 rods sounds the go.
Cheers
Cheers,
Brad
><((((NAUGHTY ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY ...NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY¸.
¸¸ .··.¸¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY .¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY¸.·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

mate harvey Norman has them for under $200..... you need to get one with the 3 heat settings not the cheaper 1 setting model.

If you do a google search for ezi-dry you should see there models.

all this talk of jerky is making me hungry... might need to fire up my dehydrator on the weekend. :mrgreen:

2RODS

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

A_Nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by A_Nomad »

Cheers 2 rods, might have to start doing some homework.
Cheers,
Brad
¸¸ .··.¸¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY .¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY¸.·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY
pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by pagey »

mmmh that recipe sounds good paul the only problem i find is that it takes so much longer to make jerky than what it does to eat it. but you are right you have to at least half what you start with for the final product. i find using corn beef that is already salted works the best but eh each to there own tastes!!! might give your recipe a go paul minus the chillis though not much if a hot person :mrgreen:

Pagey
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Dodgy and I just went 1/2 in a whole top side.... marinated it and will put it in in the morning...... should be all ready for Mondays fishing trip :mrgreen:

Pagey I do a corned beef one every now and again.... they are spot on as well :-)

2RODS

As John Wayne once said:

XXtreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by XXtreme »

Another Jerky Recipe

Jerky Marinade for 1.5-2Kg of meat.

1.5-2kg Lean Meat, cut into strips
1 ½ cups Soy Sauce
9 tbspn Worcestershire Sauce
6 tbspn Liquid Smoke or to taste
6 tbspn Tomatoe Sauce
2 tspn Salt
1 ½ tspn Black Pepper
3 tbspn Brown Sugar
3 tspn Crushed Garlic
3 tbspn Crushed Ginger
2 tspn Onion Powder
2 tspn Chilli Powder

I buy lean Topside, partially freeze it (ie until it is firm), then with a large sharp knife cut it into very thin strips. I mix the marinade up in a jug then put all of the ingredients into a large zip seal bag, squeeze out all air and massage the bag so that you get the marinade into the meat. I leave this mix in the fridge for about 2 days, massaging it once or twice a day. Nothing quite like massaging 1.5Kg of meat :rofl:

Remove from bag and place in dehydrator and leave run overnight.

Probably a good idea to set the dehydrator up outside somewhere. My missus hit the roof after I did this inside the house the first time the smell is very strong!

:x
Gold Can
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gold Can »

Guy's,
I have found the best cut of meat to use is Fresh Silverside, its not as stringy as the Topside or Rump and a hell of a lot cheaper...

Cheers
GC
The way to a fishermans heart is through his fly!!
DNO62
Seadog
Seadog

Post by DNO62 »

Being a really really lazy bugger, I buy the marinated bbq steak from holco meats, prevoiusly westralia meats and simply add some ring sting to it. I'm a bit of a sook and don't like it to hot, unlike the missus who would rather have the fumes peel paint at 10 yards when you open the container. :shock: :shock: vil: :evil: :evil:

The end result can be a little chewy at times depending on the cut of the meat they use on the day, however the longer you chew it the longer you get to enjoy it. Quick result with minimal effort, works for me every time.

I love the stuff, I am just not real keen on the after effects the following day. :moon: :moon: :rofl: :rofl:
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

DNO62 wrote:ring sting
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: RING STING :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: DNO62, ya killin' me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Marinate in Pappy's Moonshine Madness that'll give ya firken ring sting.....it's that frigging hot it'll make ya go blind! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tears to the eye's and blood to the jocks! :shock:
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
A_Nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by A_Nomad »

Got meself a dryer now, and gonna give the jerky a crack, when you guys are drying, do you turn the meat after 4 hours?? in some of the reading i'v done it says to turn it a few times, and others say turn it once, what do you professionals out there in FFF do.
Any other tips you can pass on, or is it just cut, marinate and dry, that easy? :grin:
Cheers,
Brad
XXtreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by XXtreme »

Brad,

I don't turn the meat but if your dryer is similar to the one I have it probably has a series of stackable trays. I have found that the different levels dry at different rates so about half way through the dehydration process I swap the top trays with the bottom ones.
Just another word of advice, give the tray a very light spray with cooking spray - makes the trays easier to clean after drying and dont forget to set it up where it's not gunna make the missus cranky coz the smell is pretty strong. :mrgreen:

Dicko

Return to “Reel Recipes”