has anyone done a barra cury?

Show off your best recipes or grab one here and impress your partner.
Manton mad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

has anyone done a barra cury?

Post by Manton mad »

Hey fellas just wondering if anyone has done up a barra cury might try to make some tomorow night just wondering if barra is the right fish to make up a coconut cury?

fishing is my addiction there is no cure
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: has anyone done a barra cury?

Post by DOUG »

I've been thinking about doing it to with fish that's been frozen for a couple of weeks I'd imagine it would maybe need to be cubed and then chucked in a fry pan to sear it so it doesn't all turn to mush in the curry ?? That's all I was gonna try anyways
I've only tried it in a curry once and it was good !
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

I've made a few and if you don't mind your curry on the warm side try this
Cube your barra fillet and dip in beaten egg then dust with seasoned plain,rice or corn flour
Heat oil in pan real hot and brown off cubes and place them on paper towel to drain
thinnly slice some red and green capsicum and and onion quick fry them in the pan
Add 1 jar of AYAM Malaysian Laksa paste and then 250ml of coconut milk or cream and bring it to the boil
It will tend to froth up so be prepared to remove it from the heat quick
Stir in your barra cubes and serve with 2 minute noodles or rice
I do another one much the same with Thai green curry
Quick ,easy and tasty meal
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Rhet »

Yellow curry works well for Barra.
If you want to taste the best it can get, book a table at Hanuman as they do an amazing recipe. Throw their oysters kilpatrick on top for the entree and you'll treat your taste buds to a night they won't forget anytime soon.

You'll probably want your bosses credit card to pay the bill though.
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Yum.
Got a big slab of quennie in the freezer I was going to turn into nummus this week.
Shaggs recipie sounds great for this and easy.
Curried fish for dinner tonight.
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

Yep, i do fish curry all the time with barra and jewie. I do go to the extent of making my own curry pastes though as i find them alot nicer than the jar and packet mix ones.

Jewfish green curry

In a blender put half a cup of basil, half a cup coriander, 2 cloves of garlic, 2cm piece of ginger, stick of lemongrass, 1 roughly chopped brown oinion, 2 teaspoons of ground coriander, 1 teaspoon of ground cummin, 1 tablespoon of white pepper, 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, juice of 1 lime, 2 green chillis and 2 tablespoons of coconut milk and blend away until you have a smooth paste. Fry off your paste in a pan until fragrant then add chunky cubes of jewie and mix through. Add a can of coconut milk and simmer until fish is cooked.

It is goooood and alot less salty than packet mix.

For barra i do a coconut curry which you just simmer coconut milk, 2 teaspoons of fish sauce and depending on how you like your heat chilli, i use 4 birds eyes then when all the flavors have infused add your barra and simmer until fish is just cooked through and serve.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Trevally go well in a curry.
googz
Seadog
Seadog

Post by googz »

you people are making me hungry
fergie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fergie »

Not a true fish curry as such because you don't actually cook the fish in the curry.. more of a fish with red curry sauce. This one is good for barra and snapper fillets (or whole). Anyway coat your pieces of fillet in flour, shallow fry until done as you like (golden), remove from pan and keep warm. Clean pan, add a dribble of oil, add red curry paste (the more you add the hotter it is), stir until fragrant, add coconut milk or cream (depends on how thick you like your sauce) add a bit of fish sauce and some sugar to balance. Bring to a low simmer, return fish to the pan until heated through. Serve with steamed rice, top with chopped spring onions and lime/lemon wedges. Quick and tastes bl..dy great. :chef2:
MOUSE
Seadog
Seadog

Post by MOUSE »

thnx for recipes, will be trying a couple out
Boars, Barra, Bundy & Bare Arsed
Adventure Before Dementia
rfishn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by rfishn »

heres my fish green curry, bit like jewiequeens, i like it hot :0)

Green Fish curry

1 kg fish
300ml coconut cream
1 stalk lemongrass
6 cloves garlic
2/3 cup chopped spring onion
1/3 cup fresh coriander
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 thumbnail ginger
1 teaspoon peppercorns
½ teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon salt
handfull green beans
1 lime juice
15 small green chilli
1 large green chilli
zuchini
Jasmine rice

chop fish, 1/3 cup spring onion, big green chilli, green beans, zuchini.
m&p rest to paste,
heat oil and paste, til aroma then add coconut cream, after 5 add fish and rest & cook fish (5minish)
garnish with coriander, serve with rice.