How do you cook your Barra on BBQ

Show off your best recipes or grab one here and impress your partner.
garrynt
Seadog
Seadog

How do you cook your Barra on BBQ

Post by garrynt »

About the only place we cook is out the back on the BBQ.

Usually put barra bits in flour and cook.
Or Flour then egg & crumb . Recently the wife got some LSA (Linseed, sunflour & almond) crumbed mix that you put on "everything". So I did, & crumbed it in LSA & it wasnt too bad with its chewy nutty texture. But dont expect it on the menu again for a while.

Other mixes in the egg & lemon are cajun to marinate for a few hours.

Overdid the lemon the other week, so have gone off it for a while (lemon tree producing again in the next few months, so will reaquire tase buds for it again).

I'm looking to extend my culinary abilities & are looking for a few tips

cunno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: How do you cook your Barra on BBQ

Post by cunno »

If we're having people around or looking for something a little different, I sometimes cook it whole. Needs a hood-type BBQ that you can roast in. Clean and scale the fish (which is a PITA, hence we don't do this real often!), rub with lots of olive oil and salt, lemon slices and smashed garlic pieces in the gut cavity and along the topside, a sprinkling of herbs and into the bbq. Works best with a piece of foil underneath the fish, with the fish elevated on a rack (any oven rack does the job, a fish rack is even better). a decent fish will take 35-40mins, but comes out with crispy skin and beautiful flesh. Does well to impress the guests in the middle of the table, or alternatively impress the missus and win a few brownie points back (to get back up around minus 150).
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

add some curry powder tothe flour.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Clean and scale, then roll out alfoil to be 6-8" longer than the fish, but don't tear off..lay fish on and stuff gut cavity with onion tomato, lemon slices, chilli, smashed garlic and a shake of black pepper... put 2-3 good slices in the topside and lay some butter in them, sprinke with salt and pepper and fold foil back over...cut/tear off level with start...go round fish and roll both edges of foil together, making a closed parcel. Poke a couple of small holes with the point of a knife in the top to vent, and put on the barbie plate for around 1/2 hour.

Steams in the juices and is moist and verrrrrry tasty.

Give the stomach bag a good wash in salty water and stuff with the minced/chopped liver, heart, minced onion/garlic, curry powder and breadcrumbs and enough milk to make a 'puddin', tie the ends with cotton and cook on the barbie plate next to the fish parcel, turn it till browned all over...Barra Haggis..Yuuuuum. :mrgreen:
graham
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Big thick fillets grilled FAST & HOT on the hooded gas grill.

Melt a couple of Tbspn's of butter (I do it in the mico), add lime juice and brush on fillets.

Sprinkle whatever seasoning you choose - cracked pepper & salt if you're basic - paprika, cajun mix, or anything really, for
a bit of "exoticness".

Get grill racks REALLY clean, crank the barbie up as hot as she'll go, and spray oil on racks.

Whack fillets on grill, close lid & don't be tempted to lift lid (no matter how much smoke !! ).
After 5 minutes turn fillets & baste with any leftover butter/lime & close lid for another 5 minutes.

The essence to this (and the fear I think most people have) is not having the fillet crumble to bits when turned, or
eventually removed. The key is to cook it HOT, trust yerself to turn in ONCE only, and get a nice crispy (albeit slightly
'singed' ) outer side which holds it all together.

Simple, yet delicious :chef2:
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

I like a just legal barra no more than 60cm knock the fillets off dust your choice of sprinkles on the outside of 1 fillet, I like cajun a few thin lemon or lime slices red onion rings and capsicum anything you like basically little ginger garlic or chilli etc lay the other fillet head to tail on top more sprinkles then wrap in foil 10 minutes each side on a hot bbq plate unwrap and slice into portions to serve
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
AJH
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AJH »

One of my favourite bbq or coal fire barra cooking when out bush is to fillet the fish and keep them for ron and throw the carcase on the coals with a bit of salt and pepper. The flavour is unbelievable nd you can feed a 3 or 4 with one frame. Magic.