Diamondback mullet

Show off your best recipes or grab one here and impress your partner.
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Diamondback mullet

Post by nagz »

G'day guys

Went for my last fish for a long time on the weekend and noticed there are always poo loads of diamondback mullet everywhere
I've been told they are good fun on light gear, and was even told by some fella that they aren't too bad eating!
Can anyone shed any light on their eating qualities? I just can't imagine they'd be any good
Cheers

When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:
A) n+1 (where n is the number if rods you currently have); or

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Diamondback mullet

Post by BarraMick »

dont know about eating.

but they do fight pretty good for there size.
i caught 1 last year flicking soft plastics on the Adelaide river.
was a huge mullet. thought it was a big sooty the way it was fighting.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

They have a unique taste and are really oily. You either love them or hate them. Great fight on light gear but really hard to get to take the bait as they sense hooks pretty well. Down size all gear and hang on.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Depends on whether you like strong tasting fish or not. They are definitely good eating, get rid of any stomach lining (th black bit), and, if you skin the fillet, you get a tasty fish high in omegas.
I generally just trim off the lining and shallow fry to get th crispy skin effect.
Bit of salt/pepper/brown vinegar and salad...enjoy.

Awesome fun on really light gear.
Get a few off stokes on the neap slack water.
Burley with bread and use a small (size8) buried in a bread crust, or mould a doughy bit round the hook and leave the rest to puff up in the water, under a small float.
The float is an option, just helps with casting, and carry the bait to the burley trail.
2kg line and 2kg flouro leader about 1/2 m on a light spin outfit works well.
Found dk green mainline doesn't spook them as much as the brighter colours.
Sufffix make a good one. have gone as high as 4kg in that colour and no problem. Platypus 10lb mono in light green is good,being nearly invisible in the harbour water.
They'll give a good account of themselves and play dirty.
Don't be surprised if you lose more than you land around stucture.
Don't strike, give them time to get the bait down.
I've noticed they tend to nose the bread around before deciding to take it, and will shy off if you move too quickly.
Because most takes are near surface, it's sight fishing 101 for kids and a great way to teach them patience. :mrgreen:
graham.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nagz »

Thank for the info fellas, graham very informative cheers
Might jut have to get amongst them and find out irst hand :)

Cheers
When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:
A) n+1 (where n is the number if rods you currently have); or

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

I agree with Pete about them 'sensing' the hook.
I've often got round that by putting a tiny squeeze of Squidgy's goo on the bait.
Used to put green prawn heads on the blender and take a container with me to dip the baits in, but, Mrs OF bailed on that one after I bunged all the leftover bait in to make a burley block. :bbad:
bl..dy women..So what if the banana smoothie tastes like pillies...At least the kids got their omegas. :naughty:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
Zaneofishing
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Zaneofishing »

Shoot them bit a air rifle mate best way to catch a feed of them buggers