whitsundays/airlie beach islands fishing

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
wilsonfisher

whitsundays/airlie beach islands fishing

Post by wilsonfisher »

:fishing:

hey all, this is my first post on here so be kind.

me and a buddy made the big drive up to airlie from port macquarie with our boat, shes a 5 m fibreglass hull with an 80hp motor and a nice little electirc motor on the front.
we fished heaps but never had heaps of luck. we predominantly fish with lures, we had fun sight casting for mackeral, and throwing soft plastics for coral trout etc. We wanted to get into more pelagics and really wanted to find some good ground to throw big poppers for GT. We tried to fish big current lines and drop offs, with no avail.

We are heading back again in october or november, and we would love some more luck. any advice???

thanks fellas

:captain:

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: whitsundays/airlie beach islands fishing

Post by nomad »

I did a trip with Nomad charters and they predominantly targeted big GT’s on that trip.
We were on the ribbon reefs but the technique was to get close to the reef where the current was pushing up against the reef, not past it ( ie 90 degrees onto the reef not parallel current)
Look for fusiliers and other bait fish
The GTs were waiting in ambush about 20m down.
BIG poppers, 100 ld braid and 200lb leader.
Long casts so that you keep your distance from the reef.
Then rip it back making the biggest splash possible.
I took a heap of big poppers (200mm) but they just weren’t big enough to get the 100m casts in.
get poppers at least 350mm long
All were surface hits and just hang on and drive away into deep water to stop them bricking you