Pt Fourcroy Via the Stena

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Pt Fourcroy Via the Stena

Post by jeffish »

Gday all,
Been awhile since I've had the Barcrusher out for a big blue water run (8mths) . Fellow FFFer Mark (tangles) had a mate coming up and was keen to get me to take them for a run . At first we were thinking about the Perons but the neapish tides and weather reports wasn't my favorite choice so we decided on Pt Fourcroy with a detour to the Stena rig.
All up with 4 people on board and 300lts of fuel plus supplies the boat was loaded to the max , yet I was very supersized how she handled and still able to maintain 1lt/1.5 km @ 45kph . :surf:
Once clear of the harbour the water conditions just got better the further out we got . I actually forgot to put the GPS mark for the Stena , but was sure I'd find it .
We didn't bother chasing Tuna on the way out as the schools we small and very flighty . It didn't take long before we could see the Stena on the horizon , only missed it by 10 degrees , not bad for guess work .
About 8k's out from the rig we starting getting into some great schools of Tuna and I let the visitor Dan have the fist couple shots at em. After a bit of coaching from Mark he nailed a cast in the guts and the call was made "Fish On",,, And so the trip begins .
001.JPG
010_1.jpg
002.JPG
015.JPG
044.JPG

After chasing them for an hour or so with a few caught we set up the big lures for a Mackie troll around the rig ,but no joy so we had ago at jigging . Action plus but only TeaLeaf Trevs coming up with triple hook ups it made for interesting fishing.
011_1.jpg
017_1.jpg
016.JPG
After a few dozen we gave up and headed to Pt Fourcroy for some night time reef action .
029_1.jpg
Mark was first to score with a nice Coral trout ,
030.JPG
and we all followed up with plenty of these
031.JPG
033_1.jpg
We tried a troll run up past Fourcroy and lost the only one hooked . So after a big day I found a nice reef to bed down for the night but we just could'nt stop fishing . Pretty clad we had another go cause a few nice Goldies came out to play :D and I soon had a nice 68cm on the deck
043_1.jpg
039_1.jpg
In the morning after loosing my mandatory anchor for the trip we moved back around the front for a dawn session before heading back in ,,, First drop another nice goldie for me and Daz soon had one as well , Unfortunately for Daz I droped his over the side after taking a pic (sorry Mate)
051_1.jpg
053_1.jpg
057_1.jpg
Mark nailed a nice brassy and when the sharks moved in again we decided to head in with a stop off at the Stena .
Half way back Dan spotted a Humpback whale which was way tooo cool , He got some good vidio of it but I just couldn't jag a good pic.

All up a great trip and I think the crew had a ball , we didn't bring alot of fish home but we were never board with fish at every spot we stopped .
I gotta claim bragging rights with the best goldie for the trip ,,, Been a long Time
064_1.jpg
Mark ,Daz And Dan thanks for coming along for the adventure ,, great crew :mrgreen:

Till next time (soon).

Cheers
Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Pt Fourcroy Via the Stena

Post by Matt Flynn »

What a trip, top goldies there too.

Wonder if the billies hang around the Stena Clyde?
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Well done Jeff
Good to see your new goldie spot is working well. Those bl..dy trevors at the oil rig are a nightmare.
I found that as soon as the sun rose, the maccies went off the bite.
I assume they headed out further afield and didn’t need the oil rig lights to find fish
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done Jeffish, great trip
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Great trip good variety and quality Golden Snapper.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Some ripper fish mate. I bet it felt great to get out on the water again. A good skipper would be straight over the side after that goldie :lol:
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

So how much of that 300 did you use for how far. One less person another 120 litres and its off to the moyle let me know when you want the info for the mouth transit. Top stuff to see an adventure again. What kept the crusher in dock for 8 months.
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Great trip, well done mate.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

great post
tight lines
tangels
Seadog
Seadog

Post by tangels »

Great post Jeff and thanks again for a trip of a life time, next time I'm might jag a Goldie too. And I'll post the pics if the whales when I get them.
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Nice work Jeff, some nice gold nuggets there :mrgreen:

:cheers:
Melv
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

AM wrote:So how much of that 300 did you use for how far. One less person another 120 litres and its off to the moyle let me know when you want the info for the mouth transit. Top stuff to see an adventure again. What kept the crusher in dock for 8 months.
Good to hear from you Andy , I used 255 lt for 370 km travel and yes It was a good test to see range and handling with a full load ,could easily fit another 5 jerrys with 2 less people which is what I,d do for a Moyle trip . Don't think it will happen this year as I got a FTB trip to fit in before the wet .

Cheers mate I'll send you a PM soon .
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

That gets you out around 520km with the 45 still left spare.
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

nice work mate looks like fun was had
Wuhc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wuhc »

Nice once guys, great stuff