Groote Eylandt

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
fishhunter81
Gold Member
Gold Member

Groote Eylandt

Post by fishhunter81 »

Heading over to Groote Eylandt next week for my first away game on this ground, super-pumped is an understatement!! Word around the campfire is that you can put your hooks on backwards and you'll still be fighting the fish; and whilst I hope that is the case I'd certainly appreciate any tips, general location info and advice from people in the know to try to get the most out of the trip. Heading over with a couple of mates from Darwin and fishing for 4 days with a local who has borrowed a boat, pretty sure it's a 6.2m Stabi (great to have friends in low places!) so we'll have some of the gear and a bit of an idea.

I've scratched together a bit of a hit list below, if you can add anything specific to help us to achieve this then again many thanks. I'll be sure to put a post up and let everyone know how it went, win, lose or draw.

GT 15kg+
Queeny 80cm+
Coral Trout 50cm+
Coral Trout on a popper
Spanish Mackerel 130cm+
Sailfish of any size, shape or form

Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Groote Eylandt

Post by Captain6979 »

Ehhhhhh.....gotta try get dat one 76cm Trouty beat.....
trent
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by trent »

Was invited over a couple of years ago, magical part of coastline, big spaniards were a pest but great fun, headed south chasing sails and marlin, hopefully you get some good weather as it can blow up and make for a long trip home
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Or was it 67cm??? i forget, ha ha! go get them big pishys!!!
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Fished there last year; Magic!
My mate who guides there has been doing very well on the sails, had a couple of special 8-10 fish days recently.

I’m not in the know but if the weather allows head to South Point and you should easily achieve your GT/Queenie quests. If you can outrun the sharks.

So many fish, so little time. Enjoy.
:mrgreen:
fishhunter81
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fishhunter81 »

trent wrote:Was invited over a couple of years ago, magical part of coastline, big spaniards were a pest but great fun, headed south chasing sails and marlin, hopefully you get some good weather as it can blow up and make for a long trip home
Thanks Trent, we'll definitely be heading South to try and find some billies then! Forecast so far is looking promising too, but I have very little faith in these meteorological systems anymore, there have been plenty of days forecasted to be mint weather conditions and they were anything but. Great news re the big Spaniards too, it's been 3+ months since I fired a shot so will take whatever I can get!
fishhunter81
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fishhunter81 »

NBN wrote:Fished there last year; Magic!
My mate who guides there has been doing very well on the sails, had a couple of special 8-10 fish days recently.

I’m not in the know but if the weather allows head to South Point and you should easily achieve your GT/Queenie quests. If you can outrun the sharks.

So many fish, so little time. Enjoy.
:mrgreen:
Thanks NBN that's great feedback! If you were chasing a mixed bag of reefies close to Alyangula where would you head? I'm looking at Bickerton Island thinking there's got to be plenty around there but I'm wondering if there are good grounds between the ramp there and South Point?
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

FH81
Bickerton; tick.
South Point; wind dependant (for the trip home). We mainly chased Tuna that were everywhere but no doubt plenty of reefies to be had.

We fished a couple of marks between Bustard and Winchelsea in around 10-14m that held everything from tuna, Macks, Cobia and Trevs to Goldies and various reefies. Tide really pumps through here at stages.