First Cruise for the new year

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

First Cruise for the new year

Post by Agent86 »

You Guessed it, Gunn Point and the Blue Holes :-)
Went for the first Fishing Trip with the boys in the New Year on Sunday, was starting to get the FT's and needed a fix, Launched at Buffalo Creek at around 7.30am and had a great cruise over to Gunn Point and the Blue holes.
Was a bit rougher coming back in the arvo, expected a light Norwester but the storms going across Darwin meant we had a Southwester to come home into, never mind wasn't too bad

The fishing was a bit slow to start with, we managed to find a heap of Barra hiding in the usual spots, it was fun trying to get them to eat our lures, watching them sitting there tailing in the small mangroves and flying out and smacking the lures was amazing, trouble was they would eat the kids lure and spit it out before they ne w what was going on, they werent watching quite as good as me, damn 60-70cm Barra playing hard to get, even the smaller ones wouldnt have a go after we missed a couple, unfortunately we didnt land any there , i hooked a couple for a brief moment only to have them spit the lures back at us.

I visited a favourite creek and pulled a small Jack from a snag there,
IMG_7627.JPG
Nic managed a little Barra as well on a Reidy's weedless pulled through the mangrove roots, there was a school of 5 or 6 hiding under one tree.
IMG_7630.JPG
there was a bit of fresh water coming out of a few of the small creeks into the deeper water which was good to see, plenty of bait around the place too.

It was fun cruising along the edge and around the shallows with the electric, the water was pretty clear surprisingly and there were plenty of small flag and parrot fish as well as others willing to fly out from under a bommy and slam whatever we were throwing around.
IMG_7634.JPG
We managed to get onto some small trevally and queenfish as well as a few other species at the usual haunts, :wink:
IMG_7636.JPG
Trying to decide which lure to have a go with next :fishy:
IMG_7649.JPG
The water was pouring out of one of the holes and there were a heap of fish hanging around there, we caught all sorts with the light gear, and got reefed by a few of the bigger models too. :(
IMG_7643.JPG
IMG_7642.JPG
IMG_7645.JPG
the fish were eating all sorts of lures and we had fun with soft plastics, slugs and poppers, I had a stick bait taken home by a bigger model dammit. :lol:
IMG_7647.JPG
a good variety with flag, trevally, queenies and even a nice little Coral Trout, had to back up and pull him out from under a bit of coral
IMG_7648.JPG
IMG_7653.JPG
IMG_7668.JPG
the boys had a ball and it was great fun seeing them all excited about catching some fish,
as the tide came in i found some Barra lurking at another spot, missed a couple and managed one just undersize, there were plenty of other fish there too which is great to see.
IMG_7674.JPG
IMG_7672.JPG
Had a great fish curry Monday Night with trevally, spanish flag and Coral trout in the mix, yum.
might have to go back there soon and hopefully get a couple of the bigger Barra :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: First Cruise for the new year

Post by Edo »

Looks good Dennis, how longs it take from Buff Creek?
Edo
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Edo wrote:Looks good Dennis, how longs it take from Buff Creek?
Edo
weather was great going over Edo, only took 30 minutes, took about 45 to came back into the chop though.

I reckon we would've got some more Barra if I didn't have to keep untangling kids lures from the mangroves and scaring the fish
but they are learning and getting better :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Great fun and plenty of fish , Toooo sweet mate .
great pics , :catch:
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

You're a champ Dennis - you're stories always inspire

no monsters there but a great, busy trip by the sounds, the type the kids love

Good on ya!

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Nice trip 86; plenty of room, bent rods and smiles on the dials!
bodge007
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by bodge007 »

As always mate, a great report. Well done. Happy new year
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Good effort bud

Great to see the kids getting into it too...
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done, bet the kids had a ball too
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Always a great read, well done mate.
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

Agent86 wrote:
Edo wrote:Looks good Dennis, how longs it take from Buff Creek?
Edo
weather was great going over Edo, only took 30 minutes, took about 45 to came back into the chop though.

I reckon we would've got some more Barra if I didn't have to keep untangling kids lures from the mangroves and scaring the fish
but they are learning and getting better :-)
I know that feeling mate, ive got 3 boys who are mad keen, the eldest turned 10 yesterday.
Patience= fishing with kids!! :rofl:
Edo
Anon
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Anon »

Good to see your still pulling fish from the usual haunts mate. That barra spot is rather tight. I remember going there with you and getting schooled big time by those 60s hahahaha. Dirty little buggers they are. We had great fun on queenie corner a year or so ago with deep black just near that little sand Ridge. John got absolutely monstered the by the biggest and angriest queenie I have seen. He has absolutely no chance of stopping it. Great fun flicking that little Creek until the big groper comes out to play.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's a great spot to do some exploring!
Never know what you're gonna find.
ozdodge wrote:You're a champ Dennis - you're stories always inspire

no monsters there but a great, busy trip by the sounds, the type the kids love

Good on ya!

Cheers
Thanks ozdodge, nothing like the smiles on the kids faces when they are getting amongst them, especially when you have schools of trevally fighting each other for the lure :D
NBN wrote:Nice trip 86; plenty of room, bent rods and smiles on the dials!
Yeah mate, didn't see another boat all day, and it was flat calm out there, plenty of spots I didn't get to, good to see numbers of Barra around.
theodosius wrote:Well done, bet the kids had a ball too
Plenty of places to have a go, even if the fish aren't big the kids still love catching them, as always had a few lures taken home, dammit

Yeah Anon, that spots even tighter now with the growth of the mangroves, found a few more spots to have a go at though :)

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Nice to see a fish post Denis well done.
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

Awesome trip mate to get out there with the current weather. It's on my list to go and explore the Blueholes and surrounds when I get my Electric fitted.
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.