Proserpine revisited

Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Proserpine revisited

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Last year I visited Proserpine for the first time & had a ball even though I personaly only caught one metery, the group I was with landed 17 big girls & I was very impressed.

So much so that I towed the Buckaneer2 over there on my own this year. I was unable to get anyone interested enough to part with their money & time to join me.

I arrived to hear some great catches where being reported so after two & a half days on the road I unloaded the gear & hit the water the same afternoon.
I had been trolling for about 30 mins when my reidys big boss was nailed big time. 10 second later I was franticly trying to get the boat turned around to maybe retrieve some line. With the color of the backing coming up fast the fish turned & came back at me, wow that was close, unfortunatly the fish managed to drop the lure deep under the boat so I never got a look at her.
About an hour and a half later I managed my first for the trip, a baby at 87cm. Still I was on the board but a bit to weary to carry on so back to my mates place for some tucker & a bit of shuteye.

The next three days where a bit slow being the full moon & just after. I did manage one fish each morning in the 40knot wind & rain. At 109, 100 & 105cm I was still quite happy though.

The next 2 days, even with the wild weather, where the best that I have ever experianced with a total of 9 meter plus fish in the boat and a heap of 90 plus also. These included 120, 121cm fish and also a double header on 110 & 111cm beautys.

To be continoud. This was only the first week fishing with a mate from Newcastle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Proserpine revisited

Post by muntzy »

Nice work look forward to the next episode. :mrgreen:
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

awesome work Ron, sounds like a great trip mate.
very jelous.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Mate, next time give me a yell, I'd be interested for sure!

On the towing your boat side of it........how'd you get on with the QLD rego and boat handling license etc, did Ferral drive the boat?
That's the thing stopping me from pulling my boat. Is there a way around the bullshit?
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

Well done Buck2,

Glad to see prossie is full, been a while since I was there.

Is Lindsay Dobe still around those parts?

Did ya just fish the open or get in to those nasty sticks as well ;-)

Cheers

Sy
Cheers

Sy
Angry
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Angry »

Nice work buck, great to hear you got amongst them. 8) 8) 8)

Nice pic of your boat , been trying to get a look at it for a while. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post up a few good pics
Angry

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you"

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
double haul

Post by double haul »

That ill do donkey. 8)
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Blinky,
No trouble with towing or rego & I have Qld license but for short term visiters I am pretty sure that all is ok. Just make sure that you purchase a fishing permit for stocked impondments.
I am already planning next years trip. We have 4 boats already. My estimate for costs etc is about a grand each with 3 to the boat. Timing still in the planning stages but looks good for first 2 weeks in November.
Ferrel did not drive except to chase my fish. He most probibly will bring The Shed up next year as well. His best was a 121 with me & a 123cm before I arrived.

Sy,
Lindsy is still guiding there & braining them to. On the best days he is putting his punters onto 16 or more a day. Dicko hired him for 4 days before I arrived & they caught 40 fish. On one day they got 18 with 10 over a meter.
I did not go near the sticks just stayed in the open, that was bad enough on tackle.

On the photo thing I am still having trouble resizing etc since getting a new computer. I made the one pic work but cant find how I did it again. Must of had a seniors moment? :bricks: Any tips?

COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

I lived in airlie for a hear, is that Peter Faust or whatever that dam is called???
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Awesome results Ron :cheers:
andrew.south
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by andrew.south »

Fcuk my brown dog....thats cracker jack fishing in any mans language.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Southy

Very rarely when the ship misses the harbour is it the harbours fault
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

I have finaly worked out the pics so here is the second week.

Saturday morning I had my brother inlaw, Barry from Mackay up for the weekend & it started out very similar as my first afternoon. Barry is not very experienced, in fact I dont believe he has ever had a fish take line from the drag before.
We hit the water about 3.30 am & I thought Id try a 150 scorpion. I changed the hooks & splits to super strong owners ( cost about $3.50 each hook ) & tossed it out the back. Now we are trolling at about 5 km h & about 35m out with almost locked up drags. The first strike came about 10 mins later & 10 seconds later Im staring at an empty spool. Its hard to explain the feeling, a bit like after you have just emptied your guts after a hard night on the town. I thought swamp barra could not fight.
I refilled my calcutta dc 200 & tied on a poltergiest. Things wher a bit slow for a while untill I found a patch of fish out in the middle & we proceeded to land 5 in quick time with only one over a meter at 107 & 2 in the 90s & the others in the 80s. I then decieded to try another 150 scorpion in the same green color so I changed hooks again ( another 12 bucks) & tossed it out. Well 5 mins later I have another empty spool. cr.p that was all the line I had spare. :bricks: as Barry was using my third outfit.
Time to pull the boat out & make a dash into see Lindsey for some more line & hooks before the shop shuts.
A few tales & 100 bucks later we are ready to have another crack at them. With brand new line filling the spool to overflowing & the drag wound up a bit more I thought Id be brave & try my last green 150 scorpion. You can emagine my panic when the first fish started heading away at too fast a pace & did not look like stopping in time.
I held the rod up high & spun the wheel & gunned the boat nearly running over my own line as the fish jumped & turned back at me. Needless to say slack line & no fish but at least I still had my line & lure. :? :shock: :(
We did catch another 90 somthing that afternoon but things went very quite. Sunday only produced one fish at 109cm for me. Barry ended up with the 4 biggest fish he had ever caught & didnt mind not getting any on the Sunday. He went home with a grin chiseled in his face. I think he might come back.

I believe that the 20 odd boats up there on the weekend had an impact because on the monday we had it to ourselves & we had a ripper of a morning I caught 3 more over the meter but only just at 100, 103 & 105. Also half a doz in the 80s & 90s & we only fished untill 11am.

Tues produced 7 more fish but only one metery. Only my second day without scoring a metery. ( the first was only 3 hrs on the first afternoon )

Wed we caught 9 with 4 meterys up to 106. Another great morning.

We saved the best for last. Thurs morning was to be my last day before going to visit my folks on the Sunshine Coast.
This day was the day for 5 meter 150 scorpions. They would not bite anything else. Color did not mater, I used my green & Ross used a silver purple after I got the first 2 to the boat in 15 mins. There was only one other boat fishing in the morning & they watched us catch 9 before I hailed them over & gave them one. It was a old elton john with standard hooks & I told them to change the hooks & splits but they said it would be right. We watched them loose 3 good fish while we landed 3 more ourselves. Our tally for the session , 12 fish with 5 meterys up to 113cm.

The totals for my boat 10 days, 60 fish & 28 meterys. My personal tally was 18 over a meter. Most caught on 150 scorpion in 5 m depth & green scorpions. The first week Reidys Big Boss & green scorpions where dominant

I did have one more crack at getting 2 more to round out to 20 but on the day after the Sunshine coast trip I only caught 1 fish at a baby 67cm, The smallest for the whole trip. We did lose 4 good fish in that morning though.

Am I going back next year? YOU BETCHA. :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

Now that what I call a good fishing session. You make dam fishing sound easy!!! Awesome fishing trip and good on you for sharing your knowledge/lure with the other boat.
Cheers Muntzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

18 meterys for the trip :shock: :shock: :shock: :clap: now thats wat i call fishen , bl..dy awsum :mrgreen:
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Buckaneer that is a great trip, Congratulations :applause: