pop-up blocker stuffed my post

Tell us about software bugs - we'll fix them if we can
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

pop-up blocker stuffed my post

Post by ozdodge »

So it must have been my first post on the new site and I'd written out a post, and went to add a photo, and my pop-up blocker blocked a pop-up and I selected 'temporarily allow pop-ups from this site' and then the page refreshed and my post was gone, blank, missing, zip. :banghead: :banghead: I selected 'back' and I was back in the freshwater section.

Second time I did it I chose 'always allow pop-ups from this site' and this time it refreshed the page and my new text was still there.

I'm pretty sure I have the sequence of events right - i don't think I pressed back until i saw there was no post there - but there's a tiny bit of doubt in my mind now since it worked the second time with the other pop-up action selected.

Still p...ed I lost my post.

But feel better I let it out.

see ya

ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: pop-up blocker stuffed my post

Post by Matt Flynn »

If you are going to post anything of length I would open a notepad document, save it, then type the post out and save as you go.

When finished typing, cut and paste the text onto the forum and add your emoticons and pictures etc.

That way there can be an earthquake and you'll still have your post afterwards.

If there is a major server failure, a day or two of FFF posts could disappear, so that's another good reason to use notepad for long posts :catch:
MidnightCoder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MidnightCoder »

Sorry your post got wrecked. What I find easier than what Matt is describing (tho his way is safer) is, when finishing a post, just before hitting the submit button I right click my text, select All, copy. Then I can submit it safely (enough) because the whole post text along with the bbcodes is on my clipboard. If it screws up somehow, I just click reply again, paste in my text and off I go.

You can safely disable all popup blockers on this site. The only popups used are legitimate ones for notifying users about PMs, letting them use additional smilies, and other features like that. There are no ad popups here.

Another tip would be to add your post attachments first. Since they're the only feature which requires updating the posting page (aside from post preview, obviously) it makes sense to get that part out of the way before you invest time in writing. Then you can simply click the "add inline" link beside your attachment, and if necessary move the bit of bbcode it inserts to where you want it in your post.

That all said, usually it just works. Sorry for the hassle.
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

thanks for the tips guys, all good
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!